What is the deal with pork?

Options
I had two lean pork chops tonight for dinner and someone made a comment about it. Is it because it is a little higher in fat and sodium than most other meats? Should I avoid pork?

Replies

• ShannonMpls
    ShannonMpls Posts: 1,936 Member
    Options
    Not in my opinion :)
  • melhayes1115
    melhayes1115 Posts: 187 Member
    Options
    I had pork loin tonight and noticed how much sodium was in it. I was a little shocked. However, I don't think you should avoid it. It's fine to have.
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    Don't avoid pork, avoid people who comment about your meals!
  • pupcamper
    pupcamper Posts: 415 Member
    Options
    I eat pork, there are alot worse thing out there you could eat!!
  • sapalee
    sapalee Posts: 409 Member
    Options

this, lol

I like variety, beef, pork, seafood, chicken, EGGS. I was limited to seafood and chicken for several years and it got really old.
  • mrsmangomum
    Options
    Eat real food. It is higher in fat than, say, chicken. But you're going to eat a variety of foods in your life.
  • Jenjaz1910
    Jenjaz1910 Posts: 447 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation! I eat everything just try not to go over board with unhealthy stuff, but mmmmmm pork :) x
  • Hayter2013
    Options
    :laugh:
    Couldn't have said it better myself! Hate judgemental people!!
  • millerhillbabe
    Options
    everyone who has commetted so far is right on..... esp the part about avoiding people who are negative........ If you like you should eat it. because if you dont you will want it more.... :flowerforyou:
  • squishycow7
    squishycow7 Posts: 820 Member
    Options
    there can still be leaner cuts of pork, and I'm sure the majority of the sodium is from how you prepare it, so you can be in control of that!!

so unless we're talking extreme amounts of bacon (although that would be awesome)... eat your pork :)
  • JeSuisPrest
    JeSuisPrest Posts: 2,005 Member
    Options
    If you enjoy eating it, just work it into your daily plan. I've not given up anything I didn't want to give up!
  • unmitigatedbadassery
    unmitigatedbadassery Posts: 653 Member
    Options
    It's tasty and magical. Nuff said.
  • bkandisjj29
    bkandisjj29 Posts: 172
    Options
    Thanks everyone! The person made me feel guilty, like I had indulged in a huge fatty steak or a giant dessert or something. I panicked for a moment because I have worked so hard. Feeling much better now! :happy:
  • Di3012
    Di3012 Posts: 2,250 Member
    Options
    I had two lean pork chops tonight for dinner and someone made a comment about it. Is it because it is a little higher in fat and sodium than most other meats? Should I avoid pork?

They are also low in calories. I had one of those the other day, bloody lovely it was too!

Forget what other people's comments are, if you are happy with what you are eating and it makes you feel well and you are losing weight into the bargain, there is not a problem x
  • Dragonwolf
    Dragonwolf Posts: 5,600 Member
    Options
    there can still be leaner cuts of pork, and I'm sure the majority of the sodium is from how you prepare it, so you can be in control of that!!

This.

Also, dietary fat is not the enemy. It's a necessary macronutrient needed for all sorts of bodily functions (not the least of which being the absorption of some vitamins and minerals). We don't get fat from eating dietary fats, we get fat from eating too much in general.
  • rmoga99
    rmoga99 Posts: 37
    Options
    Yes! I agree with this!
  • david_swinstead
    david_swinstead Posts: 271 Member
    Options
    I dont even know why somebody would comment on that anyway - pork isn't unhealthy at all!
  • PayneAS
    PayneAS Posts: 669 Member
    Options
    Just like everything else you eat, take the sodium into account when you are planning/eating your meals for the day. I turned on Sodium logging on my food tab (as well as sugar) to make sure I didn't go over my daily allotment. Of course I'm almost always under (in sodium at least LOL) because I'm not someone that adds salt to the foods I eat or eat salty foods in general. My daily allotment is 2500 mgs. Yesterday was the first time I ever went over (by 308 mgs). Previous day I was still under by 1425 mgs when I finished logging for the day. On a day that I ate a pork loin (Monday the 26th) I was under my sodium intake for the day by 1184.
  • joseph9
    joseph9 Posts: 328 Member
    Options
    IMHO, if it fits in your plan and you're getting some veggies, eat what works for you. I would get pretty bored eating nothing but chicken breast and ground turkey for the rest of my life.
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options
    A friend of mine doesn't eat pork. Once her mother went on a rant about it and started yelling at me about it, saying that it was disgusting and it made people "fat, lazy, stupid, and mesmerized"....Oddly enough her daughter (my friend) doesn't work nor want to work, sleeps all day, and along with her mother weigh 40+ more than I do.