Anyone else addicted to the scales?

Options
2»

Replies

• Carnivorekat
    Carnivorekat Posts: 370 Member
    Options
    I was addicted and it just made me eat more - I would be unhappy with the weight and eat which made me put on more weight - so have given my scales to my mums for a month so I can wean myself off of them
  • mrswinstead
    Options
    How is your emotional status when you weigh daily? There is nothing inherently wrong with weighing daily. It isn't about the scale. It's about your personality. If you can handle the daily flunctuations without it causing you stress or to second guess what you are doing, then go for it. If you are getting wigged out when you see the numbers jump, then it is not a tool you want to use daily. Either way is perfectly fine. It's important to know where you fall on this spectrum and use or don't use the scale frequently accordingly.

You said it best!!! I weigh myself every morning faithfully.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I do like the idea of looking every day to make sure im not way off track. I think i'll weigh daily, but only record it weekly. LOL I did take my measurements when I started, I plan on checking them once a month.
  • lururu
    lururu Posts: 123 Member
    Options
    I weigh every morning and it is starting to get very depressing, I seem to have hit a plateau with my weightloss and every day I weigh in or around the same amount :( I have only lost about 3lb in the last 3 months :(

I recenly had an op on my knee and haven't been able to go back to the gym since, I have arthritis and this latest op seems to have done some damage that doesn't look like it is going away. I am eating as sensibly as I can and exercising as much as I can even with the pain but still the scales mock me :(

I am sure that my body has changed shape though as I fit into a 16 now properly but its that number on th scales that I want to see go down.
  • yoashisme
    yoashisme Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    I weigh myself three times a day. It maybe a lot but it keeps me motivated. I do it when I wake up, after my walk in the afternoon and right before bed. It doesn't bother me to see I gained a pound or two. It just tells me to keep up my good work. Normally if I see I gained in the morning I feel like ok I need to make sure of what I am going to eat the whole day before I leave the house. My Monday- Thursday goes so fast that I have to make all my meals before I leave every morning. It works for me! I don't weigh but once on the weekend which is like on Sunday before I go to bed. Weekends are to busy to care. I weigh so much durning the week cuz I have a scale at work. I don't look at it as a bad thing cuz i have tried to lose weight before and it made it worse if I didn't look at the scale. I feel it's different for everyone. I say if it upsets your real bad to see a gain then don't do it but if you understand the weights going to change from time to time them it's fine. :)
  • maricuchi_1982
    Options
    I am... I weigh myself way too much... and it's frustrating sometimes... :(
  • EvEboEvie
    EvEboEvie Posts: 115 Member
    Options
    How is your emotional status when you weigh daily? There is nothing inherently wrong with weighing daily. It isn't about the scale. It's about your personality. If you can handle the daily flunctuations without it causing you stress or to second guess what you are doing, then go for it. If you are getting wigged out when you see the numbers jump, then it is not a tool you want to use daily. Either way is perfectly fine. It's important to know where you fall on this spectrum and use or don't use the scale frequently accordingly.

^^^ This. I am a person that, good or bad, NEEDS to weigh myself daily. even when the scale is not showing me what I want to see, if I eat too much sodium, I see the difference, and as someone working to address high blood pressure issues, I need to be able to track those kinds of fluctuations. So either way, I don't let it discourage me, I just have to make my adjustments and move forward.
  • Kris1997
    Kris1997 Posts: 241
    Options
    I am setting my official weigh-in day as Friday. I tend to do better during the week when i pack my lunches for work. If anybody wants to join me. Please feel free to add me as a friend. We can obsess over the scales together. LOL
  • melb2003
    melb2003 Posts: 198
    Options
    I weigh in daily as a motivational thing as well. After a day that I think I did SUPER well with working out really hard and eating extremely heathly, it's such a great thing when I step on the scale and see -2lbs. I know it seems like a lot, but I also have another 100 lbs to loose. On the same note, when I have a really bad day and I know I didn't exercise at all and I may have had a horrible day, then I see +2 lbs, I know exactly what it was from and it reminds me not to do that.

I can't get out of the habit, the most I've been able to not weigh myself, is 2 days. I just say that as long as the flux doesn't mess with you mentally, you should be fine. You just have to have a thick skin when you don't see what you want.
  • cmm7303
    cmm7303 Posts: 423 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't weigh daily, what with bodily fluid fluctuations etc, what you have eaten the day before etc... I am just finding it such a hard habit to get out of!

Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone else got any tips as to how to stop myself??

Maybe I should put my scales down in the shed! lol

My husband hides ours, and brings it out only on Fridays. :)
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    Right I am going to put them down in the shed tomorrow morning so I can't keep hopping on them. To avoid temptation tomorrow morning I'm going to drink a nice big glass of water when I wake up :happy:
  • Jessamine
    Jessamine Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    I know I shouldn't weigh daily, what with bodily fluid fluctuations etc, what you have eaten the day before etc... I am just finding it such a hard habit to get out of!

Anyone else in the same boat? Anyone else got any tips as to how to stop myself??

Maybe I should put my scales down in the shed! lol

I got into the habit of weighing myself daily at the recommendation of a friend. She said it helped her a lot.

Not for me!

It just made me angry and depressed. Apparently I tend to fluctuate between 3 and 5 pounds on a daily basis, even when I weigh myself under the same conditions. It was driving me insane! I do MUCH better weighing myself every week or less.