Why Eating Exercise Calories is so important.

Options

Replies

• DamnImCute
    Options
    Bumpity bump bump-bump!
  • caramkoala
    caramkoala Posts: 303 Member
    Options
    SQUEEEEEEEEEEEE!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
  • meuy43
    meuy43 Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    bump :)
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options
    Just curious if anyone knows... Do the MFP developers agree 100% with this approach?

The main reason I ask, if you end a day with less than 1200 calories, it yells at you and says your not eating enough. If you take that same day and eat 1500, but exercise for 1000, it doesnt complain or warn you that your in 'starvation mode' because you didnt eat back your exercise calories.

I'm not challenging the OP, just curious if there is agreement or if this just isn't a feature thats built into the software. Also, when they do the biggest looser type shows, why dont they have them eat back their calories? If they did, I would assume they should only be dropping 1-2 lbs a week right?

Right I think when people say, "you can't eat that low calories because your body needs fuel", I don't think they really know what they are talking about. They fail to realize that fat stores provide fuel. The body of course can't fuel 100% of its energy needs with fat because the brain needs glucose, which can come from carbs, protein, or in the absence of adequate carbs could be partially substituted with ketones. So they assume everyone is going to go into starvation mode after a week of dieting on a very low calorie diet, but really it depends on how much fat they have available and also whether they eat adequate protein.

But what you are also neglecting is the fact that the body will break down muscle for energy before it does fat. Eating enough calories to stay at a reasonable deficit combined with an adequate protein intake that accounts for 1g-1.5g per pound of LBM ensures that muscle breakdown is at its lowest when losing weight. (The more LBM you have at the end of your journey, the better you'll look. This is why you shouldn't go for more than two pounds of weight loss a week.)

On a different note, when it comes to calorie deficits, people aren't paying attention to the fact that when dieting you've already created a deficit before including exercise. It's not the end of the world if you're under your net amount every now and then, but repeatedly missing the mark day in and day out will most likely throw you into starvation mode within a short amount of time.

I find it suspicious that people on MFP are able to do endless amounts of exercise without burning any calories. Biggest Loser contestants don't go into starvation mode, yet they are in enormous caloric deficits for months at a time. But yes I agree there is a point where fat oxidation cannot keep up with the daily energy demands, so muscle starts to be burned. But its still very dependent on the size of the fat stores of the individual. Never will you see an obese person who has lost little to no weight and jumps right into starvation mode because they set their calorie intake too low.
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    So, all of it makes good sense, but I still have a slight question in the otherwise completely understanding aspect of this thread.

Now, I am sedentary and allowed 1660 calories a day, that is my goal because I want to loose 2lbs a week. I try to exersise whenever I can, usually riding my bike for 30+ minutes or occasionally the gym. Should my goal, after riding my bike or gymming, be to eat the calories listed under "NET"? Because thats what I have been reading. To get my net close to 1660 That would be me eating another meal or something. Plus, I would have to watch the fat and protien intake as well to make sure that I am not completely over it. How do I get through that?

My food JOURNAL is open for all to read, you can leave me comments or messges and even requests, let me know what you all think..

Thanks again!

-M.Cape
  • kvbushman
    kvbushman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    This is interesting. I spoke to my doctor about this (who is monitoring me for weightloss) and she said NOT to eat the calories back. I do understand the net ratio and how fat cells burn for fuel when you do not meet required calories, but I am not a doctor and she is. She said that you should not eat the calories back while try to drop the weight and once you hit your goal weight to go back up to maintance calories and your body will readjust to the new calories like it did when you started dieting. She said more important than how many calories you eat is how often you eat. She said you should eat something every two hours. Obviously good choices and not candy bars and such, but that how often you eat is what sets your metabolism.
  • lynzt123
    lynzt123 Posts: 9 Member
    Options
    Thanks for this brilliant explanation :)
  • BeingWiser
    Options
    This post has great information...the most important thing when deciding to eat back your calories is how much you weight NOW. When your eating less then 1000 calories a day then working out, your body can't funtion on your net!!
  • cstakes02
    cstakes02 Posts: 22
    Options
    bump
  • WanderingMe
    WanderingMe Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    Bump to read later
  • Reeny1_8
    Reeny1_8 Posts: 277
    Options
    Bump :)
  • NPS1985
    NPS1985 Posts: 79 Member
    Options
    BUMP
  • Mr_Cape219
    Mr_Cape219 Posts: 1,345 Member
    Options
    BHUMP
  • mare91467
    mare91467 Posts: 91 Member
    Options
    It is important to understand that exercise calorie estimates are often too high and also that the idea that people can easily put themselves in "starvation mode" has been challenged. Food calorie information, even that provided by the companies, is often too low. Companies are permitted to underestimate the amount of calories by as much as 20%.

People should monitor their food consumption and their exercise and see what's working. If you automatically eat the amount of calories a program says you've "earned" you may be undermining your weight loss efforts.

Yes, ^^^ that.
  • megg0616
    megg0616 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I have been eating right and exercising 3 to 6 days a week for a month now and I have only lost 5 pounds all though i have lost inches, I am now wondering if I am not eating enough calories. I eat my BMR amount . Which is 1421 a day. Should I up my Calorie intake and how do I really know how much to eat?
  • kvbushman
    kvbushman Posts: 14 Member
    Options
    If you are losing inches but not pounds then you are losing fat cells. You are reshaping your body. Adding more muscle to a certain area and such. Keep it up. How clothes fit is more important than the number on a scale.
  • neverstray
    neverstray Posts: 3,845 Member
    Options
    I read this 3 times, and I don't understand it at all. But, I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong.

I don't understand what "net calories" means.

What I do, is lets say I get 1800 to eat. Then, I do 400 calories for my workout. I eat 2200 calories. That's it. Is that what you mean, or no?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Sarauk2sf Posts: 28,072 Member
    Options
    Just curious if anyone knows... Do the MFP developers agree 100% with this approach?

The main reason I ask, if you end a day with less than 1200 calories, it yells at you and says your not eating enough. If you take that same day and eat 1500, but exercise for 1000, it doesnt complain or warn you that your in 'starvation mode' because you didnt eat back your exercise calories.

I'm not challenging the OP, just curious if there is agreement or if this just isn't a feature thats built into the software. Also, when they do the biggest looser type shows, why dont they have them eat back their calories? If they did, I would assume they should only be dropping 1-2 lbs a week right?

Right I think when people say, "you can't eat that low calories because your body needs fuel", I don't think they really know what they are talking about. They fail to realize that fat stores provide fuel. The body of course can't fuel 100% of its energy needs with fat because the brain needs glucose, which can come from carbs, protein, or in the absence of adequate carbs could be partially substituted with ketones. So they assume everyone is going to go into starvation mode after a week of dieting on a very low calorie diet, but really it depends on how much fat they have available and also whether they eat adequate protein.

But what you are also neglecting is the fact that the body will break down muscle for energy before it does fat. Eating enough calories to stay at a reasonable deficit combined with an adequate protein intake that accounts for 1g-1.5g per pound of LBM ensures that muscle breakdown is at its lowest when losing weight. (The more LBM you have at the end of your journey, the better you'll look. This is why you shouldn't go for more than two pounds of weight loss a week.)

On a different note, when it comes to calorie deficits, people aren't paying attention to the fact that when dieting you've already created a deficit before including exercise. It's not the end of the world if you're under your net amount every now and then, but repeatedly missing the mark day in and day out will most likely throw you into starvation mode within a short amount of time.

I find it suspicious that people on MFP are able to do endless amounts of exercise without burning any calories. Biggest Loser contestants don't go into starvation mode, yet they are in enormous caloric deficits for months at a time. But yes I agree there is a point where fat oxidation cannot keep up with the daily energy demands, so muscle starts to be burned. But its still very dependent on the size of the fat stores of the individual. Never will you see an obese person who has lost little to no weight and jumps right into starvation mode because they set their calorie intake too low.

One major point you are missing here - the people on The BIggest Loser are morbidly obese, and they generally have enough fat stores to use muscle before fat. The less weight you have to lose, the more likely your body will store the fat and use your muscle as energy.

Not sure what you mean by "I find it suspicious that people on MFP are able to do endless amounts of exercise without burning any calories" . Where has someone suggested that?
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I read this 3 times, and I don't understand it at all. But, I'm pretty sure I've been doing it wrong.

I don't understand what "net calories" means.

What I do, is lets say I get 1800 to eat. Then, I do 400 calories for my workout. I eat 2200 calories. That's it. Is that what you mean, or no?

If you eat 2200 and you exercise 400, then your net is 1800.
  • Sarauk2sf
    Options
    I have been eating right and exercising 3 to 6 days a week for a month now and I have only lost 5 pounds all though i have lost inches, I am now wondering if I am not eating enough calories. I eat my BMR amount . Which is 1421 a day. Should I up my Calorie intake and how do I really know how much to eat?

You should eat your BMR as a MINIMUM - you need to determine your required deficit to work out the best target, which includes your daily activities.

See this thread to help you deterimine your required levels: http://www.myfitnesspal.com/topics/show/538381-in-place-of-a-road-map?

Make sure you read the instructions at the very beginning of the thread.

BTW - 5lb in a month is a very good weight loss.