i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options
_snw_
_snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
Him: "Point taken."

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

Replies

• ThePhoenixRose
    ThePhoenixRose Posts: 1,985 Member
    Options
    I just wanna say i approve of the conversation with the running shoe guy. :laugh:

but i have no tattoos. so i have no further input.
  • SaraBunny518
    Options
    Mine doesnt. I drew it myself but it doesnt have a meaning. I just wanted one :)
  • tistal
    tistal Posts: 869 Member
    Options
    No. I have a tree frog on the back of my neck. It does not mean a thing. I like frogs and the colors on it are fantastic! My other 2 are just my zodiac sign on my foot and a Irish Knot on my ankle. I think my next one is gonna be a bracelet.
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    Not really - a couple of them have meaning, but a couple were just 'in the moment' tattoos.... the next few will have meaning because they're things I've thought about getting for 12 years now, but the next few after that will probably be stupid silly *kitten* I just like to look at.

I'm more of the opinion that you should think more about WHERE than WHAT. Where has bit me in the *kitten*, what never has.
  • SixCatFaerie
    SixCatFaerie Posts: 690 Member
    Options
    My first one was a mistake... For a boy(& girl) I thought I loved. Wish it was gone... Plus it has been covered up & looks terrible...

Second one is in honor of my Mom. Love it! Miss you, Mom!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    16759415_1080.jpg
    I wanted an eightball that would last the rest of my life.
  • w_i_n_d_y
    w_i_n_d_y Posts: 216 Member
    Options
    I don't have any yet.....but I have looked at a lot of designs trying to figure out what to get eventually. I like so many different types of tattoos that ultimately I chose two that mean something, have significance. That was my way of narrowing down my options.
  • JDMPWR
    JDMPWR Posts: 1,863 Member
    Options
    I am getting things that mean something to me. I mean it guess it's just personal preference no?

I think a tapestry the size of your body. Might as use up as much room as you can :)
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    I have a gecko on calf surrounded by a tribal design. I got that long before tribal was popular now. But that point is moot. Did it mean something special to me? Yeah, it mean t I wasn't going to lose a bet.
    The tattoo on my back is a puzzle piece. Just the outline. My girlfriend has a matching one. I don't think I have to spell out the symbolism.

I am planning on getting a Polynesian design that takes up my shoulder/bicep. Think The Rock. Why...because I am frigging hawaiian.

Basically I'll get what I want. I could care less what people think. When I am old...I'll be too senile to care.
  • horndave
    horndave Posts: 565
    Options
    Mine don't mean anything, just thought they looked cool.
  • _snw_
    _snw_ Posts: 1,305 Member
    Options
    I am getting things that mean something to me. I mean it guess it's just personal preference no?

yeah. 100%. I'm not saying they shouldn't mean anything. My point was just that the most given piece of advice is "make sure it MEANS something". which seems funny to me.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    Oh...and one last thing. My last one will be of narwhals and bacon...and it will be so full of awesomeness that world peace will spontaneously erupt all over the world.

Top that in symbolism.
  • bikermike5094
    bikermike5094 Posts: 1,752 Member
    Options
    <<< only tatooless biker in Sturgis..
  • xtinalovexo
    xtinalovexo Posts: 1,376 Member
    Options
    My mushroom means I heart drugs....

Or maybe....it's just cute.
  • suzycottonballs
    suzycottonballs Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    Most of mine do, but it is a personal preference. I like ink whether is means something or not... for ink on my body, it's my choice that it means something. I do appreciate the art on others even if it's just art.
  • ihateroses
    ihateroses Posts: 893 Member
    Options
    When I get one it will be something beautiful and meaningless, and every time someone asks me what it means I will be all mysterious and tell them it means what you want it to mean.

I just want to have a permanent piece of art on my body.
  • SPNLuver83
    SPNLuver83 Posts: 2,050 Member
    Options
    hahahah agreed!!! some of mine have meaning, a lot don't, and I just have them cuz I like the way they look. :)
  • Bonita_Lynne_58
    Bonita_Lynne_58 Posts: 2,845 Member
    Options
    I only have one small one now..no real meaning...I could give you a load of crap about it symbolizing yak, yak, yak...but I won't. I have a couple more planned...meanings...the first will have some..taking my lil tatt and adding to the area in a dramatic fashion ..for my oldest son who died years ago...and for the rest of my kids. The second is just something I like...love fairies, dragons etc..love the fantasy...so that one will play into that love.
  • mrmanmeat
    mrmanmeat Posts: 1,968 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

Maybe he was just making conversation? Sounds like you take offense to someone who doesn't say "omg I love your tats, they rock" lol
  • DoBetterDrea
    DoBetterDrea Posts: 85 Member
    Options
    My tattoos all have meaning (all 7 of them) but I have plans for future tattoos with no meaning at all :)