i can't believe i'm writing this ... ppl w/ tattoos

Options

Replies

• dicoveringwhoIam
    dicoveringwhoIam Posts: 480 Member
    Options
    I have tattoos. both arms full sleeved. Among others.

I always end up reading tattoo threads (and stupidly piss myself off) and I always end up reading how people always advice to "get something that MEANS something".

WHY?

Sure, if it means something, awesome. You had something meaningful you wanted immortalize on your skin. Great. But why does it HAVE to? Can't *kitten* just be pretty? (or ugly, or scary, or whatever?) Some of mine do, most of mine, well, I just thought was cool.

When I was getting fitted for a pair of running shoes a couple weeks ago, this was the conversation:
    Him: "So why sleeves? What do they MEAN?"
    Me: "Why do you have a justin beiber haircut?"
    Him: "Point taken."

okay, that conversation didn't illustrate my point or question at all, I just found it funny. My real question is ... those WITH tattoos - does all of your ink MEAN something?

Luv the conversation with the shoe guy! I have a lot of tattoos.. Some mean something, some are just because i like them.. the ones on top of each foot are in memory of my mom.. then I have a lighthouse with a cross on my back.. above it says Live, Love, Laugh and underneath is says speak life.. the rest are bc I think theyre awesome!
  • dawnkykong
    dawnkykong Posts: 64 Member
    Options
    I agree... I have some that mean something to me and some I just got because I wanted them.:)

Only advice I ever give-- Research your artist and make sure he/she is a good one.

Btw...I love your convo with running shoe guy! haha
  • greasygriddle_wechnage
    Options
    i got a tramp stamp 12 years ago like any other self respecting 40 something year old!! :glasses: :smokin:
  • ForeverIrish
    ForeverIrish Posts: 232 Member
    Options
    I have two, both have meaning to me. The one that is visible in the workplace has to be covered in concealer or by boots being it's on my ankle. We're got a really strict dress code. If the other is visible at work, wait a few minutes before the police arrive to arrest me for indecent exposure.

I know a lot of people that get tattoos in groups. I know a group of girls that all have their house number from a place they shared in college tattoed to the sides of their feet.

You shouldn't have to explain your own self expression if you don't want to do so. I'd much rather have a tattoo than a Justin Bieber haircut!
  • plushkitten
    plushkitten Posts: 547 Member
    Options
    lol.

I have a few tattoos that mean something
    and a few tattoos I got because they're dope as ****. ;p

One of my favorites is my Lemon Slice Nebula tattoos: it's the scientific catalog number with a little star next to it.
    I got a little "elevated" and watched some cosmos show and they were talking about it.

I thought it was pretty much the most adorable thing in space so I decided to get it the next day :D
    It's one of my favorite tattoos. Well...I love all of my tattoos...but especially this one.
  • deckard14
    Options
    Will it be at midnight?
  • happythermia
    Options
    Meaning is a rule I apply to myself because I'm afraid of the commitment. LOL it's a good excuse to not get any tattoo that I think is pretty one day.

But that's just me. I don't ask people what their tats mean.
  • elishabeish
    elishabeish Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    I don't have any yet but I have had 3 in mind for a long time that I'm going to reward my self with as I loose weight, my first will be my Mom's D.O.B and D.O.D. I've seen a lot that I like so I know I'll get some just for that reason as well.
  • Shellitz
    Shellitz Posts: 188
    Options
    I've drawn all of mine bar one, but that's the only 'meaning' to me I guess. Only small ones, both ankles, 2 on my hip and one on my back.

If someone was to ask me for advice on getting one or not - I'd probably tell them to stick the picture up somewhere where they have to look at it a lot for a few weeks. If you don't get sick of it - go for it!
  • 69mustang
    69mustang Posts: 185
    Options
    I have 8 tattoos and only 5 of them have some meaning behind them
  • Bikini27
    Bikini27 Posts: 1,298 Member
    Options
    My first tat on my wrist is in honor of my gram.
    The rest of them will simply be what I like, which is turning out to be an insect theme...Butterfly on my wrist, I'd like a dragonfly (bicep) and a honey bee (inner left ankle) as well.
    Then there's the side/back piece I drew up a few years ago, has a black widow hanging in a rose vine.

<<<Bug Lady.
  • Escarda
    Escarda Posts: 131 Member
    Options
    When i finally get some tattoos they'l all have meaning..
    Not because i dont like tattoos with out meanings.. Because i do love the idea of having a pretty picture or something.
    Its just if one day if i stop liking how the tattoo looks, then it wont be a like uhh why did i get it?!?! it will be more of a, it doesnt matter how it looks its what it means to me kind of thing.
  • Valtishia
    Valtishia Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    One of my tattoos does have meaning for me. The other is just my favorite animal. I just think panthers are beautiful.

No matter how you look at any particular piece you have, its still art. I don't think it has to have any more meaning than that, unless you want it to.
  • _binary_jester_
    _binary_jester_ Posts: 2,132 Member
    Options
    My first tat on my wrist is in honor of my gram.
    The rest of them will simply be what I like, which is turning out to be an insect theme...Butterfly on my wrist, I'd like a dragonfly (bicep) and a honey bee (inner left ankle) as well.
    Then there's the side/back piece I drew up a few years ago, has a black widow hanging in a rose vine.

<<<Bug Lady.
    Married to an exterminator?
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,806 Member
    Options
    Because tattoos are way more permanent than a haircut.
  • ssddpope
    ssddpope Posts: 1
    Options
    As someone that has 4 already and more planned I just perfer they have some sort of meaning. All four of mine are meaingful one i drew and share with friends, one i share wth one other friend, i have imprendere inspiritaional word for me and a star with wings i drew personally for my are class that I loved so much I made it my first tattoo. I personally am artistic and want only meaningful art put on my skin permentaly. I perfer someone look at mine and ask about them and get a inspired story behind it not just well i thought it looked good.
  • Sweet_T_McGee_HeatherSadie
    Options
    I Have 35 tattoos and not all of them have meaning, Like the skull in my ear. . . I just love skulls! and potty mouth on the inside of my lip. . . well I'm a F**ken potty mouth :)
  • jkleon86
    jkleon86 Posts: 245 Member
    Options
    I once worked in a nursing home as an aide so I know no matter what you get where it is going to end up looking distorted and ugly in the end. so I have always passed on the tats no need giving then more to laugh about :)
  • TopazCarey
    TopazCarey Posts: 263
    Options
    All 3 of mine have meaning.
  • Thin_Perfection110
    Options
    I have a little panda and fox on my back. I got it because it was cute. Everyone asks me what it means all the time. I say " i just thought it was cute."