Placenta Eating (DO NOT MOD)

Options

Replies

• micls
    micls Posts: 234
    Options
    What vitamins/nutrients are in it that we can't get elsewhere?
  • maletac
    maletac Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    I actually do placenta preparation and encapsulation. It's becoming more and more common among health conscious women. I actually had seven in the month of March, a record for the year I've been doing it. I admit it took me a while to get used to the idea but once I saw the benefits first hand I knew it wasn't just a placebo effect. I have a lab background so handeling it wasn't too much of stretch for me. It's not for everyone, I've never had a client complain about having it done but I've had plenty who regretted NOT having it done.

saw the benefits firts hand? go on ?
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I actually do placenta preparation and encapsulation. It's becoming more and more common among health conscious women. I actually had seven in the month of March, a record for the year I've been doing it. I admit it took me a while to get used to the idea but once I saw the benefits first hand I knew it wasn't just a placebo effect. I have a lab background so handeling it wasn't too much of stretch for me. It's not for everyone, I've never had a client complain about having it done but I've had plenty who regretted NOT having it done.

saw the benefits firts hand? go on ?

I am really curious about the benefits too. You might just change my mind.
  • maletac
    Options
    ENOUGH WITH THE BEWB FEEDINGS PLEASE! lol not the same concept as eating your own placenta even in the slightest.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options
    I think this is just gross. But I do think it's cute that the OP put "DO NOT MOD" in the subject line, as if the moderators will abide by her wishes just because she says so. :smile:
  • amcharanek
    Options
    Is there a BBQ flavor?

mmmmm
  • maletac
    Options
    I think this is just gross. But I do think it's cute that the OP put "DO NOT MOD" in the subject line, as if the moderators will abide by her wishes just because she says so. :smile:

he... and i got moded earlier for posting a different news story that had NOTHING wrong with it... some one was a little delete happy :grumble:
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    NO!
    There is no scientific evidence to confirm or deny it. This is a different account of placenta consumption. From Huffington Post:

On the other end of the spectrum, Redd, posed the question: "How many other women are putting their trust in their placenta as a minimizer of baby blues when it very well may be a cause of their mama drama?"

Placentophagia -– the scientific word, usually in reference to animals -- drove her, she believes, into a "tabloid-worthy meltdown mode" -- causing tears and rage just one day after her first dose. As soon as she stopped taking the pills, she felt better.

And now, she regrets "being so gullible without a single shred of proof". After all, pre-pregnancy, she writes, she was the skeptic who would warn a friend, "You don't know what's actually in that! Natural doesn't always mean good." But once her baby came, the possibility of terrible things happening seemed far scarier than swallowing a few "miracle" pills.

Redd does consider that her manic episode and return to normalcy may have been independent from her pill consumption. A woman's hormones and body change so much post-birth that it would be hard to extract what caused her meltdown specifically. Factors that play into post-partum depression, or the tamer "baby blues" include hormonal changes and emotional factors. Research even suggests that weaning can be a cause.

Still, while the effects of placenta eating aren't clinically known, Redd suggests that, like an appendix, maybe placenta is something that should stay out of the body once it comes out.

http://www.huffingtonpost.com/2012/03/27/eating-the-placenta_n_1383046.html
  • PanzaDiaries
    Options
    Well for example I had a client (I'm a doula by the way, professional labor support and childbirth educator) who suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her first baby. She also had issues with her milk supply and gave up breastfeeding within the first month. This pregnancy she did not want to have to take antidepressants or use formula so she did some research and contacted me. I was her doula for her birth and I also encapsulated her placenta. Her husband will tell you that she reacted completely different with this postpartum period. She had tons of energy and she never showed signs of depression. Best of all, to date, she has such a great milk supply that she has donated over 900 oz of milk to two local mothers who could not produce enough milk for their babies.
  • Musikelektronik
    Musikelektronik Posts: 739 Member
    Options

he... and i got moded earlier for posting a different news story that had NOTHING wrong with it... some one was a little delete happy :grumble:

Sorry that I misstated your gender. It's hard to tell from your profile pic. :smile:
  • maletac
    Options
    WAIT WAIT.... the only thing the placenta is to treat PPD ?!?!?
  • Kenzietea2
    Options
    Well for example I had a client (I'm a doula by the way, professional labor support and childbirth educator) who suffered from severe postpartum depression after the birth of her first baby. She also had issues with her milk supply and gave up breastfeeding within the first month. This pregnancy she did not want to have to take antidepressants or use formula so she did some research and contacted me. I was her doula for her birth and I also encapsulated her placenta. Her husband will tell you that she reacted completely different with this postpartum period. She had tons of energy and she never showed signs of depression. Best of all, to date, she has such a great milk supply that she has donated over 900 oz of milk to two local mothers who could not produce enough milk for their babies.

While I am sure this is true, I don't know how related it was to the eating of the placenta.
    My mom had postpartum badly with my sister, and none with me. Every pregnancy is different, and everyone's postpartum is different with each pregnancy. Some women have a good milk supply one pregnancy and none the next. I'm still not convinced eating the placenta had anything to do with this.
  • jordgirl
    jordgirl Posts: 26 Member
    Options
    Have to admit, this completely freaked me out at first. My midwife asked me if I would be keeping my placenta and I didn't even have to think about saying no (uh...why would I keep it?!). But now that I know a little bit more about it, I kinda wish I had encapsulated it. It is super nutrient dense and it is specific to your baby...once encapsulated, it lasts indefinitely, so why not keep it for when your child is going through difficult hormonal times in their life? I also heard that it helps women who are going through menopause. After that, I thought, "sure, why not?" Still definitely freaked by the idea of just eating it, or even eating it part-way through the dehydration process (like I guess when it would be in the "jerky" stage)...the idea makes me squirm a bit...but after it's dried, ground into a powder and put in capsules? Sure. I'd at least be open to learning more about it.
  • PanzaDiaries
    Options
    WAIT WAIT.... the only thing the placenta is to treat PPD ?!?!?

Not necessarily, some take it to give them energy and as supplement to the iron and hormones that they lost during childbirth. Sure you can get synthetic versons of those things but why should you if your body made it and gave it to you in a nice little package. Again, not for everyone but it is for many.
  • PanzaDiaries
    Options

While I am sure this is true, I don't know how related it was to the eating of the placenta.
    My mom had postpartum badly with my sister, and none with me. Every pregnancy is different, and everyone's postpartum is different with each pregnancy. Some women have a good milk supply one pregnancy and none the next. I'm still not convinced eating the placenta had anything to do with this.

True but when I see it client after client I can't ignore it. I see a very distinct difference in moms who do PE and those that don't. Not in every case mind you but pretty frequently. Moms with PE have a shorter healing time and milk tends to come in faster and in larger quantities, and "baby blues" are seldom an issue. Ask me for studies and I can't provide much but I see it so I believe in the benefits.
  • smd8833
    smd8833 Posts: 12
    Options
    Pill = Processed. BAD!

Let me share some of my delicious recipes with you all instead.
    Perhaps with fava beans, washed down with a nice Chianti...

Hahahah! I can't let this comment go unnoticed :laugh: Perfect execution!
  • Tisha247
    Tisha247 Posts: 849 Member
    Options
    Nope, won't be eating my own placenta now or ever. However I'm surprised you compared breast feeding and placenta eating. In Australia if you DON'T breast feed it's considered taboo, breast is best! it's our slogan.
  • maletac
    Options
    Nope, won't be eating my own placenta now or ever. However I'm surprised you compared breast feeding and placenta eating. In Australia if you DON'T breast feed it's considered taboo, breast is best! it's our slogan.

no no they are comparing breast feeding IN PUBLIC to eating a placenta.... le sigh.... and its not medically taboo it is encouraged... and as far as i know its always been encouraged to breast feed... public breast feeding is different.

and what animals do they also do because they are hungry. and often starve to death JUST SAYIN
  • blytheandbonnie
    blytheandbonnie Posts: 3,275 Member
    Options
    Animals eat their placentas to regain some nutrients that are lost through pregnancy and *MOSTLY* to clean up the mess so predators can not find their den. There is no nutritional value for modern women (goofy-*kitten* Hollywood women) to gain from eating their own placenta. And if you have to pay some doctor thousands of dollars to make it into a pill, don't talk to me. Slurp it down raw, or shut up. Otherwise it's all pretense.
  • Kenzietea2
    Options

True but when I see it client after client I can't ignore it. I see a very distinct difference in moms who do PE and those that don't. Not in every case mind you but pretty frequently. Moms with PE have a shorter healing time and milk tends to come in faster and in larger quantities, and "baby blues" are seldom an issue. Ask me for studies and I can't provide much but I see it so I believe in the benefits.

How much does it generally cost? I am 17w5d pregnant, and I am open to this being accurate, but still get the 'gross out' factor. I will have to ask my doctor more about it and others who have experienced it.