Protein Intake

Options
2»

Replies

• ginamaria724
    Options
    I'd like to add my 2 cents here. First, be careful of your protein choices. A lot of your protein choices come with a lot of fat, that is counter productive. Second, how often do you eat? I just started eating a low calorie / high protein diet and I eat every 2-3 hours. I feel fantastic and the weight is coming off very quickly. If you haven't heard this before, eating more often is better for you. It increases your metabolism and keeps your blood sugar more stable. Stable blood sugar = fewer spikes in blood insulin = fewer calories stored as fat.
    I eat probably every 3-4 hours. What food are you eating that make you able to have a high protein diet yet keeping it low calorie?
    I had this problem when I lost my weight. My goal was 30, but I could not lose those last three pounds!! It was NOT protein related because I had PLENTY of protein!!!

Have you researched muscle confusion? Working your major muscle groups--essentially "shocking" them a little by trying something new? It works woooonders!!!!
    Yes, I believe I do plenty of muscle confusion. All the workouts I'm currently do in one week are:
    3-4 days of tennis
    Jogging/sprinting
    Ripped in 30
    A set of workouts I got from a magazine
    And other miscellaneous stuff like another workout video, biking, walking, more circuit training, dancing, etc.
    I don't think lack of protien is your problem. It's your calorie intake... I went and took a look at your Diary and you seem to be consistantly 400-650 BELOW your daily goal. Alothough this may seem like a good thing, it actually can put you into starvation mode (killing your metavolism) and be your main cause of your plateau. My suggestion is to eat more and stay as close to your daily goal as possible.

It may sound scary, but there are many people (myself included) that have had to increase their caloric intake in order to break a plateau.
    This past weekend actually I raised my calorie intake from 1200 to 1445, my metabolic rate. Basically, should I be eating as much as a day allows me (whether its 1445 or 2100 due to heavy exercise) or should I just stay around the 1400 area? Because from another post someone told me to stay around my metabolic rate.

SORRY I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.
  • raystark
    raystark Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    <snip>
    SORRY I HAVE SO MANY QUESTIONS.

Questions are good things.
  • jameehardey
    Options
    i hit a plateau and protein had nothing to do with it! your body just gets used to you doing the same exercises and eating the same things all the time. 6 weeks and you usually need to change things up.. like i stopped using the treadmill alot and starting using the cross trainer and stepper heaps and changed everything i ate. like i used to have salads for lunch but then i started eating salad sandwiches etc. i broke my plateau in 2 weeks its hard and frustrating but i hope you break it soon!
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    When in doubt about your diet, visit a dietician...not a health food/supplement store. There are PLENTY of options. You just have to eat them.
  • ImperfektAngel
    ImperfektAngel Posts: 811 Member
    Options
    Greek yogurt is a tasty way to get lots of protein - a 6 oz. Chobani has about 14 grams!
    Quinoa is another great alternative (and vegan)
    Beans

I suggest Chobani to everyone, great amount of protein and carbs!
  • Kolohe71
    Kolohe71 Posts: 613 Member
    Options
    This past weekend actually I raised my calorie intake from 1200 to 1445, my metabolic rate. Basically, should I be eating as much as a day allows me (whether its 1445 or 2100 due to heavy exercise) or should I just stay around the 1400 area? Because from another post someone told me to stay around my metabolic rate.
    At the end of the day and after accounting for excersize, you should be as close to your daily goal as possible without going over. As a general rule, I like to keep my "calories remaining" as a (green) number below 50. Usually a small protien shake or a spoonful of peanut-butter is all I need to keep myself in that range.
  • EmilyLStuart
    Options
    I eat probably every 3-4 hours. What food are you eating that make you able to have a high protein diet yet keeping it low calorie?

I also eat every 3-4 hours and usually seem to be high on protein, low on calories. My usuals are:

BREAKFAST
    I get 14 grams of protein from my morning bagel + 3g from whipped cream cheese + 3g from Chia seeds = 20g protein for breakfast and the cals are only 285 (not including my fresh fruit).
    If Im not doing my bagel, I try to eat egg whites + one egg which gives me around 20. I know everyone is saying eggs and egg whites so nothing new here from me. But dang they are perfect for protein!
    I've also made protein pancakes...good stuff!

SNACKS
    I HATE regular yogurt; never been able to eat the stuff. but for some reason I do love greek yogurt, so that adds another 14g protein for me.
    Sometimes I will eat deli turkey meat for snacks...talk about very high protein with very few cals!
    Cheese has protein!

Protein Smoothies with 1 cup strawberries, 12 oz diet Ocean Spray Cranberry Pomegranate juice, and 1 scoop muscle pharm combat powder....26g protein and only 216 cals.

LUNCH/DINNER
    Yup I eat chicken or fish at least once per day. Gives me another 20+ grams of protein. No new ideas here.

So on workout days I end up over 100g protein and 1300-1450 cals; non workout days I'm usually around 75-80ish protein and 1200-1300 cals. I weigh 152 but I never get that high in protein.

13800327.png
  • Jameslemond
    Jameslemond Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    I don't think lack of protien is your problem. It's your calorie intake... I went and took a look at your Diary and you seem to be consistantly 400-650 BELOW your daily goal. Alothough this may seem like a good thing, it actually can put you into starvation mode (killing your metavolism) and be your main cause of your plateau. My suggestion is to eat more and stay as close to your daily goal as possible.

It may sound scary, but there are many people (myself included) that have had to increase their caloric intake in order to break a plateau.

Agreed!!!!