Afraid to share

Options

Replies

• ajfrench
    ajfrench Posts: 323 Member
    Options
    People have awesome suggestions about buying cookbooks that create smaller recipes, freezing your cooking, etc. If you're looking to go from prepackaged foods to healthier foods, maybe you could try gradual steps. Instead of cooking chicken yourself, try the Perdue chicken breast strips with one of the steam-fresh bags of vegetables. Add some rice or pasta and you have a full meal. Add easy to prepare foods like Greek yogurt, almonds, and fruit or natural peanut butter on celery or bananas. Small steps will ready you for the big plunge!
  • k8lyn_235
    k8lyn_235 Posts: 507 Member
    Options
    wow, i have very similar issues as you when it comes to processed foods! while i was on weight watchers i ate so much processed crap because i only cared about the points, not nutritional value. now that i'm on mfp, i have been trying my best at slowly decreasing the number of processed foods i eat. so far *i* think i have been doing a good job (however, a stranger might think i still eat too many processed foods).

my saving grace since i started this journey is the george foreman! it is so awesome, let me tell you! you can grill a chicken or turkey burger in 6 minutes! so convenient and easy - even i (the non-cook) haven't messed that up.

good luck to you and try not to be afraid to try out new recipes! i know i have a ton saved on my computer (i can send you some if you like) but i have only had the courage to try a few ;/ i'm working on it, though!
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    There is a great site called skinnytaste.com and her recipes are pretty easy and step by step pictures! :)
  • dedication6
    dedication6 Posts: 184 Member
    Options
    I'm not a chef, but i love to cook. You can ask me cooking questions and I'll answer to the best of my knowledge.
  • beckajw
    beckajw Posts: 1,738 Member
    Options
    There is a great site called skinnytaste.com and her recipes are pretty easy and step by step pictures! :)

^^This!
  • PrincessEliNa
    PrincessEliNa Posts: 524 Member
    Options
    *HUG* I'm no cook either, but I just wanted to give you props for having the courage to post in the forums, and with such great advice you're getting, and the motivation I know you have, you'll make it through :D
  • mightyafrodyte
    mightyafrodyte Posts: 148 Member
    Options
    Great advice has been given by the previous posters. I would advise that you get a rice cooker and a Foreman grill. The rice cooker has become my best friends. I throw brown rice in there. I'll take a piece of chicken or fish and throw it on my Foreman grill and that's a meal. I also like the steamable vegetables. It makes cooking easy. If you have cable check out food network and foodnetwork.com. They break down the recipes based on the difficulty. Pick out things that you know you love to eat. But don't be afraid to try new things. I have the palette of a 5 y/o. It's hard for me to try new things, but I am trying. One of my best friends is a chef and it drives her crazy, but I have to work with what works for me.

I don't share my diary either because I have a HUGE sugar addiction and I sitll eat junk. I'm working on it. For me, just logging my meals everyday it the start of my battle because I've always said that I couldn't log my calories everyday. But I have, for almost 40 days now. Even on the weekend. I'm logging, and that's where I have to start. There are some die hard clean eaters on this site, and I applaud their efforts, but I'm not there yet, and I am okay with that. I need to work a program that works for me. Take the various post with a grain of salt. You have to find what works for YOU.

You are on a great website for support. Just hang in there and don't quit.

Sending you a friend request. :smile:
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    To put together a meal plan start with thinking about what you like. I do all my cooking on Sundays (or at least I try) and when I do my shopping I think "Okay, I need some veggies, some starch, and some protein." I generally get 2 or 3 kinds of raw protein (chicken, cow, pig, seafood), and ground turkey all taco'd up is a staple quick fix in my house. Buy a crockpot and look up slow cooker recipes (theres a magazine), if you follow the instructions and buy the right cut of meat slow cooker recipes are a no brainer. Buy yourself a betty crocker cook book, if you don't have one, every kitchen should have a betty crocker cook book. I hardly cook the recipes in it anymore, but I'm always using it as a reference tool.

I share my diary, let me know if you have any questions.
  • cbl40
    cbl40 Posts: 281 Member
    Options
    You can start by subscribing to Cooking Light Magazine, simple and healthy recipes. Look online to learn how to broil or grill chicken, steak, fish......steam your veggies in a collander over boiling water. Eat as clean as you can....buy plain Greek yogurt, cottage cheese, lowfat cheeses, chicken breasts, lean meats. You'll get there, hun. Take it one day at a time. Remember all the good you are doing for your body by slowly getting rid of processed foods. :)
  • gibbysrose
    Options
    Thank you for shareing your story! I hope you find the inspiration you are looking for here!

I can relate to the cooking issue! My parents never cooked (I grew up on fast food, yikes!) and so I found myself at 20 years old not knowing how to cook a single thing, but not wanting to feed myself fast food (and not being able to afford it, lol). I ate a lot of carrots and dip, hehe. I took it one day at a time- looked at scarey recipies for weeks sometimes before I'd try them. And, looking back, most of the recipies I tried weren't all that good. But, just getting my feet wet, so to say, helped me learn how to cook, and here I am years later cooking every night for my family! If you'd like, I keep a blog that I occasionally post recipies to- dishesbyglitterpony.blogspot.com

Good luck!
  • Zannukene
    Zannukene Posts: 10 Member
    Options
    Hi!

I'm the opposite of you. I have been cooking since I was seven or eight and I love to eat well and a lot. Which is why I'm here :) I just eat too much. I usually cook for my partner and I so most meals are for the two of us.

If you want to, you can add me as a friend and I'll help you with recipes and cooking tips ;)
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    First of all, Jacque, YOU ARE SO BRAVE! You sat down and typed up something very personal about yourself that you are ashamed of, shared it with a bunch of strangers, and ASKED for help. You know what that makes you? STRONG and INTELLIGENT.

I couldn't even finish reading through everyone's responses to you because I was so moved by how supportive and informative and caring they all were. We've all been there...maybe not exactly where you are, but in our own version of 'there'. And now, we're all in varying phases of BETTER! Know that we are here for you...we, the MFP crowd. We want to succeed and we want to see each other succeed as well. Are you feeling the love? I know I am!

I don't know what you like to eat. I don't if you think it might be easier to cook one meal at a time or you're thinking maybe cook big (casseroles and soups) and either freeze servings or package them for your week. But there are so many options for you. You just need to continue to be brave and try things out. Personally, I started out with my slow-cooker (crockpot). SOOOO easy!!! I could make healthy meals and package them in several TupperWare containers. I didn't mind eating the same thing for lunch every day.

I also didn't mind a simple menu. I had fruit and oatmeal for bfast every day. Now I do eggs and my Shakeology (meal replacement shake). You can do sandwiches for lunch (lean cold cuts with lettuce and tomato), fruits and veggies on the side. Start easy and work your way up. You can totally do this! We ALL believe in you!
  • mangobadango
    mangobadango Posts: 294 Member
    Options

I have literally no cooking experience and when I saw others posting their own meals I felt ashamed when I was turning to Pasta-Roni and such due to not really having an idea of where to begin. I became obsessed with looking up recipies but found myself too afraid to try them out. This was mostly because I was afraid to waste ingredients and most of them are meals for multiple people while I'm preparing food for only myself.

I realize what i need to do is to create a meal plan and prepare the food ahead of time but I am literally unsure of where to begin. It's difficult when you spent your entire life eating processed foods and I am being forced to decide what healthy alternatives there are. (even my parents only lived on hamburger helper and frozen dinners)

I hope I'm posting this in the right area, I'm just unsure of where to go and what to do now. I feel that I am hitting a brick wall over and over with this. I feel I need motivation and help getting myself on the right track.

Thank you and sorry for rambling.

I haven't read all of the suggestions, but it looks like some posters have already suggested different magazines. I would suggest going to the Fitness Magazine website and looking at some of their meal plans. They have a month long diet plan with working out and the food was all super easy to prepare and had great short instructions on preparing the food. Another benefit is that most of the meals are single serving meals. Link: http://www.fitnessmagazine.com/workout/you-can-do-it/easy-healthy-dinner-recipes/?page=8

You can do this! I hope that no one judges you for what you are eating, only the fact that you are trying. Just fake it until you make it and before you know it your whole diet will have changed.
  • WhitneyW78
    WhitneyW78 Posts: 186 Member
    Options
    Hey hun...

I have been in your same shoes. You just have to jump in and try some things. Think of the things you enjoy eating and look for recipes that way. I have a folder that I keep all of the recipes I want to try and I'm always adding to those and then once a week on Saturday or Sunday, I peruse that folder and pick out a recipe and then make it. The best part about cooking for one person (because that's what I do too) you get to have leftovers for a week. Make the freezer become your best friend. Buy individual tupperwares that you can make single-serving meals. That way all you have to do is grab it out of the fridge/freezer and heat it up!

It gets easier! Hang in!
  • yoovie
    yoovie Posts: 17,121 Member
    Options
    go private for a month or two! if something causes you shame while you are trying to get better- then emilinate that part if its deterring you.

make your diary public again, when you know you will be back in the saddle and can handle it.

And honey- no one is perfect.

All I ate today was some coffee with sugar and cream. thats it. yeah im an idiot and its bad for me, but i log it cause its a habit i want to change.

think of your diary now as your nutrition's Before picture! In a year or so- you will come back and look at this and be like, oh my, im so freaking awesome now- look how much i learned!!

good luck!
  • kwest_4_fitness
    kwest_4_fitness Posts: 819 Member
    Options
    My advice? Keep it simple. If you’re not a big cooker, odds are you like simple foods like pastas and burgers and grab & go stuff.

Try going for lower fat versions of things like hot dogs or pick up some boca burgers, which can be microwaved. A Foreman grill is AWESOME for small grilling needs. Season regular cuts of meat like lean steak, boneless pork center cut chops or boneless/skinless chicken breast with pepper, paprika, sea salt, etc and simply grill or bake them. Kick up the flavor in a salad by adding sunflower seeds, low cal croutons, fat free shredded cheese, or some salad shrimp. Stick to easily prepared things like sandwiches (PB&J and tuna salad rock!), veggie sticks, boiled eggs, low cal pudding & jello cups, low cal soups and simple tossed salads for lunches. Instant oatmeal, boiled eggs, almonds, low cal cheese, and fiber bars make great breakfast choices.

Start simple and work up from there. You can do this - you just have to overcome that fear!
  • cpiton
    cpiton Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    So glad you posted. *Big hug*
    I can cook, but I'm kinda lazy. Lol
    I once had a rice steamer, but never used it. They sell brown rice frozen in a steam bag. (My kids love to heat up broccoli and cheese and pour it over steamed rice as an after school snack. Not as many cals as you'd think. They are all low bf% athletes) I am the queen of convenience, but I do watch my calories, sodium, fiber and protein. Bagged salads are awesome, baked chicken is easier than you think, fresh fruit and veg is best, frozen is usually better than canned. I'd be willing to walk you through anything, even boiling an egg, if you like. :flowerforyou:

At first, the only thing I logged here was exercise. Try that for a while. Keep your diary private until you're ready. I did. It's your diary. When you want feedback, open it.

Feel free to friend me.
  • UnderCoverShyGirl
    UnderCoverShyGirl Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    I soo feel your pain. Some people are amazing with their cooking and eating wholesome food, and I'm trying to wean myself off processed (what i also grew up on!) and totally got out of the cooking habit. Plus with two adult kids at home, i'm constantly struggling to make things they like, and make sure they can grab and go as we are never at home at the same time anymore.

Anyhoo, don't give up, and never be ashamed. no one lives your life and this is not a contest!! Everyone must do their own style, what makes it easiest for you to stay motivated and move forward is what you should do! I find myself often sticking to basics...I do like the Hungry Girl Web site/book simply because she remakes a lot of comfort (aka fast) foods we grew up on....overall, she is using other processed foods...but at least in the beginning it can help ease the pain, portions can be for one or two, I sometimes search the web for "5 ingredient" recipes and things like that....to make it easier...my go to looks something like this when i am on point:

breakfast - oatmeal with fruit/nuts or cereal with milk/almond milk, or eggs with spinach/cheese or whatever i want to throw in it (if i need heartier, i put the eggs in a corn tortilla).

lunch - i'm at work, and this is a struggle because we go out a lot. When i bring, i tend to take leftovers (i make extra veggies and have with a protien like chicken or fish), or if i had fajitas the night before, i'll throw them in a wrap with some lettuce/tomato and salsa (anything can go in a wrap!).

Dinner - pick a protien (chicken, fish, beans, red meat, pork, etc.) and put it either on top of a salad (lots of lettuce and chopped veggies) or on/with other veggies...i try to cook more than one veggie so there is variety without a ton of the pasta/rice/potatoe stuff. So often i'll put fish or chicken on top of a huge thing of fresh spinach, drizzle with olive oil, salt and pepper, and cook on say 375 for 20 minutes or something like that.

Snacks - i love cheese, so i have laughing cow and low fat cheese sticks...sometimes with crackers if i can afford it, or i'll dip zucchini or carrots into hummus, or peanut butter with a banana, or a fage greek yogurt with fruit....

So basically, i'm cooking very simple simple things....it's easiest to log, and easy to make, and you can cook as much or as little as you want.

Don't know if that helped, but feel free to add me or ask me for recipes/ideas, or whatev. You can do this, it is daunting at first because you go from knowing nothing (at least i did) and feeling overwhelmed and like an epic fail...and soon you will get the hang of it!!
  • softballmom33
    softballmom33 Posts: 128 Member
    Options
    Try crockpot recipes there are alot of low cal ones.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I recommend a toaster oven and a George Foreman Grill (do they still sell those??). Both are easy to use and fairly non-intimidating.

My husband sings in the opera chorus, so he is often gone in the evenings for rehearsals and performances, so it just leaves me to cook for myself. I try to find some single-serving freezer things, or just go with a good old can of Spaghetti O's (don't judge).

I do love to throw a roast in the crockpot on Sunday mornings so we have something yummy for dinner that tastes even better the next day (or a few more days - it makes a lot of food!!). Just start small and go from there!