Chocolate cravings-daily

Options
For as long as I can remember, I have had chocolate every day. Even when sticking to my cals, I have factored at least a fun size bar into my day.

There was one particular day last week (which I was too ashamed to log) where I had 2 yorkie bars, a Milky bar and a pack of munchies...:embarassed:

My chocolate cravings are getting out of control. Any other chocolate lovers out there found any alternatives?????

Ps: I haven't had any chocolate for 3 days, I think I am going to go insane

Replies

• Kellster30
    Kellster30 Posts: 63 Member
    Options
    I love chocolate, so as a snack I often have Jello Sugar Free pudding with a banana (they also have fat free, if you'd prefer that).
  • cannonsky
    cannonsky Posts: 850 Member
    Options
    I buy the ghiradelli chocolate squares and just eat one a day.
  • jojopel
    jojopel Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    I buy Lindt Intense Dark Orange - one square usually does the trick. It took me a while to get used to it, but the dark chocolate curbs my cravings.
  • SoDamnHungry
    SoDamnHungry Posts: 6,998 Member
    Options
    I have similar cravings. In general, I wait until evening to eat my chocolate as a snack before bed. I used to sit at work and eat candy bars all day... Now I've managed to at least cut the need for a piece after lunch. I think I was actually dependent on it. It was rough. FYI, I replaced the after lunch chocolate with a sugar free hard candy or sometimes jelly bellies. Even normal hard candy is fine; I just suck on sugar free because I get cankers.
  • shortymordy
    Options
    Chocolate milk. Still rather high in sugar, but at least I'm getting calcium and protein!
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    As someone just posted in another thread - Dove dark chocolate promises. Eat a couple a day and don't sweat it. Dark chocolate is your friend!
  • Stephyshoes
    Stephyshoes Posts: 45 Member
    Options
    Chocolate cravings are the worst! I love Jello's Mousse Temptations - low calorie and sugar free, and the Dark Chocolate kind only has 2.5 g fat and 2g protein, so I feel like it's at least better than some other choices I could make.

I've also had success with baking chocolate cookies and replacing some of the ingredients with healthier alternatives, such as whole wheat flour instead of all-purpose, applesauce instead of butter, and cutting sugar, and then adding oats and ground flax. I drop the cookies and then freeze the raw dough on wax paper and then put them in a container. When I'm craving chocolate I can pull out one or two and put them in the oven for a treat that feels much more indulgent than it really is. :)

Something else that works for me is that when I do buy chocolate, I buy dark chocolate, and I tend to splurge on something more expensive from a specialized chocolate store. For me I'm less likely to sit and eat a ton of it at once if I know I spent more money on it in order for it to be a special treat.
  • flyingwrite
    flyingwrite Posts: 264
    Options
    I try to have dark chocolate every day in some way, shape or form. I get the large bars and have one square or two if I have the calories for it. Chocolate chips are also an option. I think you get 16 in a serving. Sometimes, for me, seeing 16 of something (even if it's only a few calories) makes me feel like I'm really doing something. Haha. I don't think I could participate in a lifestyle change that doesn't include chocolate.
  • jaynepickle
    jaynepickle Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    I go for the chocolate covered stuff (ie raisins and nuts) so that I'm not actually eating as much chocolate as I feel like I am... If I eat a big, fat chocolate covered raisin, it just tastes like a big nugget of chocolate instead of me actually eating that much chocolate. (does that even make sense?) And, the other plus is that with almonds and peanuts, I stay full instead of constantly feeling hungry and wanting to fill the void with chocolate. Down side, nuts are high in cals and fats so you still can't eat a whole bunch of them. Another option, make some chocolate pudding and stick it in your ice cream maker. Tastes like awesome chocolate ice cream without all the fat. And, one more thing, I keep my chocolate in the freezer so that I can't just hork it down. This way I get to savor it instead of just inhale it.
  • angenie
    angenie Posts: 3
    Options
    ughh I feel the same as you. Iam addicted to chocolate and cokes, trying my best to give it up. I always need something sweet after I have lunch or dinner. So any suggestions / alternatives are welcome
  • Scoobies100
    Options
    Wow thanks for the tips guys :). Will have to watch the dark chocolate as it triggers migraines but then again a square here and there might be ok.

One alternative I can offer of my own (which I do use sometimes) is hot chocolate made with skimmed milk or highlights. Sometimes that cures a sweet craving.

Thanks so much for the advice everyone :) I will put some of these things into practice!
  • heatgal976
    heatgal976 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    For my chocolate cravings, I like Jello's chocolate mousse from their Temptation's line, one package of M'Ms pretzels, or some type of Skinny Cow dessert.
  • rower75
    rower75 Posts: 90 Member
    Options
    I was a daily chocolate eaters as well. It didn't have to be much, but I typically ate something chocolate every day. You know that warm fuzzy feeling you get with that first bit of chocolate! I found that the EAS Advantedge Carb Control Chocolate Fudge protein shake will satisfy my chocolate fix. I now drink one of these practically every day and look forward to doing so. Also, have you tried chocolate flavored spray whipped cream - only 15 calories in 2 tablespoons & you can simply spray it in your mouth.
  • iamfranniefierce
    iamfranniefierce Posts: 305 Member
    Options
    For as long as I can remember, I have had chocolate every day. Even when sticking to my cals, I have factored at least a fun size bar into my day.

There was one particular day last week (which I was too ashamed to log) where I had 2 yorkie bars, a Milky bar and a pack of munchies...:embarassed:

My chocolate cravings are getting out of control. Any other chocolate lovers out there found any alternatives?????

Ps: I haven't had any chocolate for 3 days, I think I am going to go insane

Chocolate cravings may indicate a magnesium deficiency, try eating other foods high in magnesium, such as nuts, seeds, fish, and leafy greens.

Read more: http://www.care2.com/greenliving/what-your-cravings-mean.html#ixzz1r0UNlJNh
  • Jemiot
    Jemiot Posts: 16
    Options
    I started incorporating a full Hershey Special Dark Chocolate bar everyday for dessert. (Having just one or two squares a day just makes me feel like I'm depriving myself.) It's 180 cals. Before, I was trying to avoid sweets most of the time, but it just made me binge like crazy.
  • flechero
    flechero Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    If you like chocolate milk or a chocolate drink will satisfy the craving, you could try one of the chocolate protein powders, mixed with almond milk (or I use light vanilla silk) for a nice thick "chocolate milk" treat... tastes as good as any "bad" chocolate drink but actually has some good nutritional value. The other thing I do sometimes is add the same chocolate powder to a cup of decaf coffee and it makes a thick coffee / hot chocolate type drink.

I'm not a chocoholic but this is pretty top notch.
  • mama2shi
    mama2shi Posts: 300 Member
    Options
    I eat the mini York Peppermint Patties. Usually have two at night (100 calories) and I take tiny bites to savor and make them last a bit :)
  • ck1416
    ck1416 Posts: 154 Member
    Options
    I feel your pain. I too am sugar crazed and love my chocolate. I have read a lot of good advice on mfp. Three things I am doing different seem to be curbing my cravings. (1) I eat more protein than I ever have, at every meal and snack. (2) I eat every few hours. (3) I have reduced my sodium intake because whenever I eat a meal with a lot of sodium, then I end up craving more sweets. I am not craving sweets or chocolate any more!
  • mdj1501
    mdj1501 Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    I also love my daily chocolate, but trying to be good. When I get that overwhelming craving I have been enjoying a cup of sugar free hot cocoa at night. Instead of using water, I have been heating up a cup of almond milk and dumping my cocoa in that... it is very good, creamy and satisfying!
  • annamerrick
    annamerrick Posts: 78 Member
    Options
    I just tried this recipe for chocolate mousse on chocolatecoveredkatie.com:

â– 110 grams silken-firm tofu (such as Mori-Nu; about 1/3 of the package) **you can also use the light version
    â– 1/8 tsp vanilla extract
    ■1 tablespoon dark cocoa powder (dutch-processed cocoa or Hershey’s special dark) *i used regular cocoa powder
    â– tiny dash salt
    â– up to 2 tsp liquid (such as water or non-dairy milk) *i used leftover decaf coffee from that morning
    â– sweetener, to taste (sugar, stevia, agave, etc) *i think i used about a teaspoon

put everything in a food processor (mine was a mini) and blend.

100 calories, 4 grams fat (less if using lite tofu)

and, IT TASTES AMAZING!! I have also tried adding some PB2 in as well, which is also good. I can't decide which way I like it best... :)