Foods that got tossed- when you got SERIOUS!!

Options
124»

Replies

• Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals like Lean Cuisne, SmartOnes, Healthy Choice, etc. And I don't miss them!

This! I still eat pretty much everything else I used to eat, but I try to make healthier choices a majority of the time. Who wants to live the rest of their life never eating any of their favorite foods?! Not me! Food is great, and it's a learning process for some of us to truly appreciate it for what it is instead of abusing it and using it for the wrong reasons. I do tend to stay away from anything deep fried... the last few times I tried eating something like that I got pretty darn sick. =/ I eat fried chicken like 1-2 times a year, but really like to save that for when my MIL makes it. Homemade is the bessssst! :D
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Salad.

I can remember so clearly, the moment I grasped the concept of dosage and context. It was a moment of life changing enlightenment.

No salads of any kind? I don't eat a lot of salad but I can't imagine saying I'm giving up salad altogether. What is a picnic without a good pasta salad. And no tuna or chicken salad? Nothing?
  • dsjohndrow
    dsjohndrow Posts: 1,821 Member
    Options
    I haven't tossed everything. I can say it's been a long time since I had pizza, potatoes, fried food, cake, rice, processed meats, soda, and large portions. I eat pretty much all natural, fruits, veggies, whole wheat bakery, and lean meats. I still go out, but I have less, a lot less.
  • jengelbell
    Options
    I could give up anything but my wine!:laugh:
  • cbmcphillips
    cbmcphillips Posts: 801 Member
    Options
    I don't give up anything, I just adjusted the portions I eat. For example, I still eat pizza, I just switched to thin crust loaded with more veggies and I eat less pieces than I used to eat. I still eat girl scout cookies once or twice I week, I just eat a small portion of them as a dessert. I found that if I cut something out completely, I start to crave it. So moderation has been key.

me too....
  • Sl1ghtly
    Sl1ghtly Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Salad.

I can remember so clearly, the moment I grasped the concept of dosage and context. It was a moment of life changing enlightenment.

No salads of any kind? I don't eat a lot of salad but I can't imagine saying I'm giving up salad altogether. What is a picnic without a good pasta salad. And no tuna or chicken salad? Nothing?

Some I stir, some I toss. Except for slaw (I think that counts as a salad), I put that in the blender.
  • mdsjmom98
    mdsjmom98 Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    I can honestly say, I haven't "given up" anything. I do try not to purchase a lot of processed/prepackaged foods, but sometimes you can't avoid it. I find that if I deny myself something, I just want it that much more. That being said, I try hard to cook healthier versions of things I already eat. I am also trying new foods and learning to love things I used to hate (fish!). My main thing is portion control. I still eat out, and I have bad days. I just do it all in moderation, and I find it really helps if I use MFP to plan out my days.

^^^THIS^^^^
  • enjoythejourney_83
    enjoythejourney_83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I try to still do most of the foods I like in moderation. If I burn enough calories during my workouts to treat myself to something I want, that's usually how I do it. I do, however, try to severely limit my intake of refined sugar and white carbs. One big weakness of mine is oreo cookies. I have no discipline with them so I just don't buy them anymore. Out of sight, out of mind :-)
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I've tossed or otherwise not replace when gone many things.. white rice, cake mixes.. crackers..
    but what I find interesting is all the people that didn't toss things because they have kids.. For me its a lifestyle change.. If I don't want to eat crap, why would I feed it to my kids?
    We are all in this together learning how to eat healthy. So these are changes are changes we are all making in my family, me, my husband and all 5 kids ages 11,10,7,6, and 3 :) If not then they could be where I am today overweight and miserable I know I cant control their future but I hope I am at least giving them the right tools. Things like sweets cakes and candy aren't off limits.. now they are exactly that.. a treat.
  • enjoythejourney_83
    enjoythejourney_83 Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    I honestly haven't giving up anything but sugar in my coffee I switched to Splenda, other then that I eat everything in moderation. Like last week I wanted a banana Royale form Basin Robbins I worked out burned about 1500 calories that day and got my banana Royale! LOL

I function in very much the same way. I don't believe in complete deprivation. I've tried it before, and failed miserably.
  • ChristineNicole81
    Options
    Hmmm... good question! Everyones answers are so interesting and diverse! Love it!

I had to think about this one because I still eat what I want, when I want-in moderation. I might have frozen yogurt or something unhealthy at Applebee's a few times a month. If I don't eat what I want, then I will fail miserably and crave anything and everything. However, I do refrain from foods in high sodium on a regular basis because it seems to keep my tummy bloat down. I've been trying to keep my sodium at 2000mg a day. I quit eating canned veggies, I still make them for hubby, but thats because he is picky and doesn't like the broccoli and squash that I eat. I quit eating the Lean Cuisines and tons of frozen foods. I "thought" they were good for me, low in calories, wrong!!! I quit eating things like Doritos and icecream in my regular diet as well as pizza and chinese foods. I don't eat white breat, wheat/whole grain only-unless there isn't an option, which is rare. I threw out soda and drink water only. That was hard because Subway's fountain cherry coke was my "crack". lol Rarely every do I drink anything but water, unless there is alcohol in it, but I still drink water too when I'm drinking. I do still eat some things like chinese once every three months, but not something that is a regular thing. If you don't enjoy yourself every once in awhile, then you can't enjoy life! That's my opinion tho!
  • taunto
    taunto Posts: 6,420 Member
    Options
    The only item in my kitchen that I buy for long term is Rice and since I'm not cutting down on rice, no need to toss it out. I have however stopped buying alot of bad things such as high fat meats, juices and stuff
  • lmvince
    lmvince Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    From the refrigerator alone, I tossed:

Miracle Whip
    cans of soda
    grape jelly
    all those bottles of ranch and blue cheese dressing
    chocolate and caramel syrup
  • graelwyn
    graelwyn Posts: 1,340 Member
    Options
    Bread, white rice/pasta, biscuits, cake, chocolate, cereals, dried fruit, nuts(tend to eat the whole bag), fruit yoghurts(too much sugar), unhealthy desserts.

If I want a treat, I buy just one of the item and have that, generally, though I am failing in that when it comes to Walls Soleros, lol.
    Luckily they are only 90 calories each.
  • Mallory0418
    Mallory0418 Posts: 723 Member
    Options
    Frozen meals like Lean Cuisne, SmartOnes, Healthy Choice, etc. And I don't miss them!

This! I still eat pretty much everything else I used to eat, but I try to make healthier choices a majority of the time. Who wants to live the rest of their life never eating any of their favorite foods?! Not me! Food is great, and it's a learning process for some of us to truly appreciate it for what it is instead of abusing it and using it for the wrong reasons. I do tend to stay away from anything deep fried... the last few times I tried eating something like that I got pretty darn sick. =/ I eat fried chicken like 1-2 times a year, but really like to save that for when my MIL makes it. Homemade is the bessssst! :D

Word. I've been at this for quite a while now so the frozen stuff tastes gross to me now. Bring on the freshness! I will never COMPLETELY cut something out, as long as it tastes good.