For the 500,000 time EATING MORE WORKS

Options

Replies

• msliu7911
    msliu7911 Posts: 639 Member
    Options
    After reading through most of this thread, I'm pretty convinced my calorie intake is way too low.

I'm 25, F, 5'7", 165. I calculated my BMR as 1570. TDEE came out as 2162. I put in that I am lightly active (I have a desk job where I stand all day but dont walk around like a nurse/salesperson would), and I work out at least 3-4 times a week.

For some reason the scale does not seem to be budging with the 1200 that MFP has me set at. I'd like to lose at least 15-20 lbs over the next 3 months and I am very worried about just gaining more if I up my calories.

Can anyone here please tell me where they think I need to set my net calories and what type of exercise I should do in order to help me reach my goal in 3 months?

As a background, I'm very reluctant to up my calories only because just a few years back I was doing 1200 / day and lost around 15 lbs in no time and actually kept it off for over 3 years. Fast forward to now- it doesn't seem to be working the same so I guess I'm not sure why and a little discouraged. Thanks in advance. :)
  • clairerose11
    clairerose11 Posts: 95 Member
    Options
    What should I be eating please? I am showing a gain since last week which I know isn't right as I haven't gone wrong anywhere. I am currently on 1350 cals, eat all of my exercise cals and am set at a 2lb rate of loss.

RMR - 1671
    BMR - 1688

TDEE - No Exercise - 2025, Light Exercise - 2321 or Mod exercise - 2616

I don't actually exercise every day as such, but do walk into town with my daughter in her pushchair most days, takes me roughly 50 mins altogether. I then do small amounts of aerobics and toning every other day usually for around 15-20 mins.

Interesting, was your RMR measured then somewhere?

So your real BMR is actually lower than your RMR.

So the question is, did you get the RMR measurement after you had been netting below your BMR for some period of time?
    If so, you are looking at the result of feeding your BMR less than it might like to burn, it had to slow down - meaning your RMR also slowed down.

So that would be Light Exercise, actually rounded down probably to 2200 to get in-between levels, if this was using the fat2fit calculation at goal weight.

And that walking is the best fat burning exercise since you don't actually have to feed it. Total deficit on that.
    Of course, at 2200, you don't eat back any exercise calories anyway.

So you're saying I should be eating 2200 and not counting exercise cals?? This is all so confusing! I worked out those numbers on FitnessFrog, I have only been here a week....
  • Nikkilou1202
    Options
    I posted in this thread and no one had replied. Please someone help me, what is my BMR and TDEE? I am very new to this and ready all of this I am now very confused.

I am 25, 5ft 6" 79kg and want to get down to about 65kg. I currently workout about 6 times a week burning around 600 calories each time. My net calorie intake at the moment is supposed to be 1250 and I am struggling to reach that without then eating too much fat/carbs and protein. All i need is some guidance!
  • jennytree
    jennytree Posts: 210 Member
    Options

1. get weed
    2. smoke it
    3. evoke the munchie monster
    4. eat more
    5. win

I came on here looking for inspiring ways to eat back my cals, I am now inspired :laugh:
  • birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    Can someone help me out on this please.

My TDEE is - 2944
    My BMR is - 1900

What should be my goal to aim towards in cals a day?

Thanks, I know I sounds dumb but I have only been on MFP for a couple of months, I've lost between 8 - 10 lbs but seems to have stalled.
  • nickyrobinson
    nickyrobinson Posts: 161 Member
    Options
    I posted in this thread and no one had replied. Please someone help me, what is my BMR and TDEE? I am very new to this and ready all of this I am now very confused.

I am 25, 5ft 6" 79kg and want to get down to about 65kg. I currently workout about 6 times a week burning around 600 calories each time. My net calorie intake at the moment is supposed to be 1250 and I am struggling to reach that without then eating too much fat/carbs and protein. All i need is some guidance!

The simplest way:

- You can figure your BMR with the BMR tool under Tools
    - You can figure your TDEE by switching your goals to "Maintain my current weight" and look at the calories.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    After reading through most of this thread, I'm pretty convinced my calorie intake is way too low.

I'm 25, F, 5'7", 165. I calculated my BMR as 1570. TDEE came out as 2162. I put in that I am lightly active (I have a desk job where I stand all day but dont walk around like a nurse/salesperson would), and I work out at least 3-4 times a week.

For some reason the scale does not seem to be budging with the 1200 that MFP has me set at. I'd like to lose at least 15-20 lbs over the next 3 months and I am very worried about just gaining more if I up my calories.

Can anyone here please tell me where they think I need to set my net calories and what type of exercise I should do in order to help me reach my goal in 3 months?

As a background, I'm very reluctant to up my calories only because just a few years back I was doing 1200 / day and lost around 15 lbs in no time and actually kept it off for over 3 years. Fast forward to now- it doesn't seem to be working the same so I guess I'm not sure why and a little discouraged. Thanks in advance. :)

Why did it work last time?
    Eating at 1200 was probably a huge deficit compared to what you were eating at, and so during the whole time your metabolism was slowing down, you had pretty good deficits, and good weight loss.

Now - your body has seen this game before, and slowed down faster.

So reluctant to raise calories, understandable. But is your current method working? Wanna try lowering calories and/or working out more?

And being realistic - to actually gain fat, you would have to eat your 1200, your exercise calories (you should be anyway), and all your daily activity calories, and then actually eat more to create a surplus to gain real fat weight.

That isn't going to happen your TDEE up around 2162.
    Now, you are using current TDEE estimate it appears, not the fat2fit.com site method, which is TDEE at goal weight.

So for you, goal 145 BMR and activity level makes daily eating goal of 2039, do NOT eat back exercise calories since it's in there already.

If you want to get that more accurate, follow the advice regarding using www.fat2fit.com Military Body Fat% calculator, and take that value to the BMR calc, and read the paragraphs on the result page carefully.
  • heybales
    Options

Just to be clear, your net calorie intake is supposed to be 1250 because you selected the activity level and the weight loss goal per week. And of course you would reach that by eating more carbs/prot/fats - there is nothing else to eat more of to reach more calories. So you can change that goal to have more cal's.

And if you are not eating back your exercise calories, and you trust that calorie burn estimate, I hope it scares the hair off your head to think your body is getting around 650 calories left over after exercise to care for functions of life. Especially after you see what your BMR could be.

Figure out your decent bodyfat % here - http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/mbf

Take that figure here http://www.fat2fitradio.com/tools/bmr/
    and get your current BMR, and goal weight TDEE, which for you would be activity level Mod Active or slightly above actually.
  • heybales
    Options

The simplest way:

- You can figure your BMR with the BMR tool under Tools
    - You can figure your TDEE by switching your goals to "Maintain my current weight" and look at the calories.

Actually, MFP cannot give you a TDEE estimate, because their calculations do NOT include any exercise in them. Because that is to be added when done.

TDEE by definition is ALL daily activity. MFP gives non-exercise maintenance.
  • heybales
    Options

My TDEE is - 2944
    My BMR is - 1900

Thanks, I know I sounds dumb but I have only been on MFP for a couple of months, I've lost between 8 - 10 lbs but seems to have stalled.

You have enough range to take 20% off TDEE as daily eat goal. And with that range, that must include exercise, so no eating it back then.

As weight drops 10 lbs, you'll have to do that calc again. As you get within 20 lbs of goal, you'll need to go to 10% off TDEE. You should never NET below your BMR.
  • heybales
    Options
    What should I be eating please? I am showing a gain since last week which I know isn't right as I haven't gone wrong anywhere. I am currently on 1350 cals, eat all of my exercise cals and am set at a 2lb rate of loss.

RMR - 1671
    BMR - 1688

TDEE - No Exercise - 2025, Light Exercise - 2321 or Mod exercise - 2616

I don't actually exercise every day as such, but do walk into town with my daughter in her pushchair most days, takes me roughly 50 mins altogether. I then do small amounts of aerobics and toning every other day usually for around 15-20 mins.

Interesting, was your RMR measured then somewhere?

So your real BMR is actually lower than your RMR.

So the question is, did you get the RMR measurement after you had been netting below your BMR for some period of time?
    If so, you are looking at the result of feeding your BMR less than it might like to burn, it had to slow down - meaning your RMR also slowed down.

So that would be Light Exercise, actually rounded down probably to 2200 to get in-between levels, if this was using the fat2fit calculation at goal weight.

And that walking is the best fat burning exercise since you don't actually have to feed it. Total deficit on that.
    Of course, at 2200, you don't eat back any exercise calories anyway.

So you're saying I should be eating 2200 and not counting exercise cals?? This is all so confusing! I worked out those numbers on FitnessFrog, I have only been here a week....

Oh, forget the RMR then, not useful. And something wrong with the stats given the calculator then, because RMR will always be higher.

So not using the fat2fit.com method.

So take 15% off the TDEE figure 2200 - 1870 daily goal, don't eat back exercise since already in there.

After you lose 10 lbs, need to recalc those figures and manually update your goal.
  • birdieman75
    birdieman75 Posts: 19 Member
    Options

My TDEE is - 2944
    My BMR is - 1900

You have enough range to take 20% off TDEE as daily eat goal. And with that range, that must include exercise, so no eating it back then.

As weight drops 10 lbs, you'll have to do that calc again. As you get within 20 lbs of goal, you'll need to go to 10% off TDEE. You should never NET below your BMR.

Thanks a lot that makes sense.
  • Nikkilou1202
    Options
    Thank you. I went on to the website and found out my BMR is 1470 then there is a table at the bottom that says dues to the activity I do (moderately active) I should be consuming 2333. If i eat somewhere in the middle of these two numbers is that about right? I still am not quite sure what TDEE is.
  • pecany
    pecany Posts: 10
    Options
    Hi everyone. I just joined MFP a few days ago for the simple purpose of trying to see how many calories I am eating. I have not lost any weight in the last 3 weeks and had a feeling I wasn't eating enough.

I started P90X on Feb 20 and at the end of phase 1 (30 days later) I lost approximately 10 pounds. In addition to the program I was going for additional power walks 3-4 times a week. Since then I have stopped using my car and only walk or ride my bike wherever I go but I don't usually count that as exercise. Last week I decided to stop power walking and I started C25K in addition to the p90x program.

According to what I've been logging on MFP (as accurately as possible, sometimes just guessing because I cook from scratch and eat pretty clean), I'm still not eating enough. I have been so full these last few days and can't imagine trying to eat more! Is it possible to stay as close to my BMR as possible and still lose weight with the amount of exercise I am doing (6 days a week, approx 600-900 calorie burn)?

Here's my info:
    Age 36
    Height 5'6"
    CW 165
    GW 150
    BMR 1514

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1739
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1992
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2246
  • heybales
    Options
    According to what I've been logging on MFP (as accurately as possible, sometimes just guessing because I cook from scratch and eat pretty clean), I'm still not eating enough. I have been so full these last few days and can't imagine trying to eat more! Is it possible to stay as close to my BMR as possible and still lose weight with the amount of exercise I am doing (6 days a week, approx 600-900 calorie burn)?

Here's my info:
    Age 36
    Height 5'6"
    CW 165
    GW 150
    BMR 1514

Sedentary (little or no exercise, desk job) 1739
    Lightly Active (light exercise/sports 1-3 days/wk) 1992
    Moderately Active (moderate exercise/sports 3-5 days/wk) 2246

You mention nothing about eating back your exercise.

So no, you cannot eat as close to your BMR as possible and still exercise and lose weight. You will stall out again, except for weight lost due to muscle breakdown.

If you want the exercise to create your deficit, then you should be eating at maintenance level and let that happen. If you want diet to create the deficit, then you should feed the workout.
    Do both and both will have problems.

If that is from the fat2fit.com site, you should actually be above Moderately Active. Honestly, 6 days a week and riding bike to work and running program. Probably should be higher than Very Active for that matter.

Don't shoot yourself in the metabolism by underestimating - thinking you are helping yourself somehow. That's probably why you haven't lost anything.
    Because your exercise and diet level has slowed your metabolism so badly, you are eating at maintenance level right now.
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I have just used the Military Body Fat calculator and it reckons my body fat is -2.5%!!

Now I am 165 inches (5' 5") and weigh 171lbs - my neck is 14", waist is 35" and hips are 41". Believe me I am a fatty - I know I am at least 16lbs overweight, so how come the MBFC reckons my lean body mass is 175.2lbs?

Have I inputed something wrong or am I just being thick here?
  • heybales
    Options
    Thank you. I went on to the website and found out my BMR is 1470 then there is a table at the bottom that says dues to the activity I do (moderately active) I should be consuming 2333. If i eat somewhere in the middle of these two numbers is that about right? I still am not quite sure what TDEE is.

TDEE as in defined? As in Google search?

Anyway, you should eat at 2333, read the paragraph above the table to understand what is being done.
  • heybales
    Options
    I have just used the Military Body Fat calculator and it reckons my body fat is -2.5%!!

Now I am 165 inches (5' 5") and weigh 171lbs - my neck is 14", waist is 35" and hips are 41". Believe me I am a fatty - I know I am at least 16lbs overweight, so how come the MBFC reckons my lean body mass is 175.2lbs?

Have I inputed something wrong or am I just being thick here?

Did you follow these instructions on that page?

Note: Men should take their waist measurement at the navel. Women should measure the natural waist circumference at the point of minimal abdominal circumference, usually located about halfway between the navel and the lower end of the sternum (breast bone).
  • AnnyaSB
    AnnyaSB Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    Yes............. my waist (or what there is of it :frown: ) is definitely 35 inches (I am at risk of heart diease and type 2 diabetes :sad: !)
  • Glenruth
    Glenruth Posts: 35 Member
    Options
    Might be a bit dense here but what is TDEE? Is it an american measurement as I can not find reference to I in the UK