Beer

Options
Part of the reason I put my weight on was drinking beer at home, four beers Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday and if I am honest every now and again on a Wednesday .
I realise that with my diet I must stop drinking beer and I have, but I was wondering what other people on here drink on a Friday or Saturday night after work to chill out .
I suppose what I am try to say what other alternatives are there as I don't like the short stuff i.e whiskey,rum ,vodka

Thanks Graham

Replies

• thefaceman25
    thefaceman25 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    I used to be the same probably had 2 pints a day, now i have 1 maybe 2 a week.
    Everything in moderation
  • Zichu
    Zichu Posts: 542 Member
    Options
    You don't want to cut it out completely. I don't, but I'm not a heavy drinker anyway and I don't have to drink beer if I don't feel like it. It's nice to have and if you are having a hard day and I fancy a beer I will have a beer.

Usually weekends are the times I tend to have a drink and it's either ale, cider or lager. I just make sure that it fits within my calorie goal. You could just do a bit more exercise on the day you are drinking that way you have room for the alcohol you enjoy. Just don't drink tons, drink a couple a week and see how it goes.

It's all about control.
  • Skeels
    Skeels Posts: 929 Member
    Options
    I always drink Kettle one lemon flavored Vodka with Club Soda on ICE....GREAT Low cal drink for the summer time
  • Sp1nGoddess
    Sp1nGoddess Posts: 1,138 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have one large strong beer and take my time drinking it. Like Unibroue Trois Pistoles....

Usually it's red wine or vodka with Pellegrino & lime.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    Everything in moderation.
    I just add it to my calorie goals.
    However, I was on vacation last week for a whole week and drank EVERY SINGLE DAY and somehow I didn't gain ONE ounce.
    I'm trying really hard with my diet and I still drink here and there. Hell, I had pizza and beer last night and I'm down a pound today!
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    what about the less caloric beers? I've been doing miller lite lately, but most of the time when I am being careful about my calories and still want to drink I will do mgd 64 or bud select 55
  • Alpine005
    Alpine005 Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    I really love beer, especailly the darker beers. At this point I really don't drink them much anymore and when I do I'll drink a light, low calorie beer.

I have also been drinking Pierre water. Something about it gives it a beer taste/flavor/texture. I've been drinking alot of them.
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Hi Graham - actually there is no need to cut out beer completely, BUT you are right, that if you are like me (and it sounds like you are), then you will have to make some adjustments to your beer intake.

I am a BIG beer guy and like you, just started on MFP. I wrote a little on my beer blog about this subject here - http://www.dingsbeerblog.com/?p=4971

I plan to follow up with other beer related calorie posts, so keep an eye out for that.

I'll send a friend request, and you can see my food diary that DOES include beer, but to be honest nowhere NEAR the number of calories I was consuming a month ago. In short you can carry on drinking, but you'll need to plan, cut-back some and generally just be more aware.

Cheers

Ding (Englishman living in USA).
  • rgrange
    rgrange Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I have beer or liquor every night- to excess on weekends. I've done alright in the two years I've dropped 85 lbs, so I firmly believe if it fits in your calories and you've already met your macros, it's okay to drink. :drinker:
  • Alpine005
    Options
    I've also read that sometimes having some beers will reveal weight loss. Obviously it's not the reason you lose weight, but the alcohol draws the water out of the fat cells that have been emptied.
  • tonihayden
    Options
    I love my bud lite lime!!
    But i don't drink everyweekend...it's random for me.
    I have tried a couple of the low calorie beers and OMG.....gross not to mention u wud have to drink a case to even catch a buzz!! LOL.
  • Alpine005
    Options
    +1
  • mandemonious
    mandemonious Posts: 217 Member
    Options
    Beer is wonderful, but eats up my calories far too often. Delicious, microbrews and craft beers are generally higher in calories and those are, of course, the ones I love.

I agree with the other posters...moderation is key. But don't give it up if you love it, unless your love for it is a problem that is difficult to balance...that is a different story.
  • elainecroft
    elainecroft Posts: 595 Member
    Options
    Either one really good beer, or a couple of crappy light (miller 64 or bud 55) beers, depending on my mood. Also, wine. :) I like that it comes in a perfectly sized package for 2 people. :)
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    We make our own beer. We grow our own hops.

We have 3 beer flavors on tap in the garage.

We even pay our kitty sitter in beer.

So, just log it and move on. If you want to have your calories in liquid form do so. Just really don't have more than 1 a day if you can...1 a day actually has health benefits (for men).
  • Qarol
    Qarol Posts: 6,171 Member
    Options
    My go-to drink is gin and diet tonic. Low cals and low carbs. But if I'm a good little girl and do my cardio, I get to haz wine. Red wine. White wine is just inferior.

I do love a good beer, but I can't drink very many before my tummy feels too bloated.
  • Onesnap
    Onesnap Posts: 2,819 Member
    Options
    Guinness has less calories than most beers. Weird, huh? It's just the way it's made. No light beer for me! Well, except bud light lime.
  • beezerphd
    beezerphd Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I mostly drink Kopparberg Mixed fruit cider or Rekorderlig. Beautiful.
  • phillieschic
    Options
    I (over) indulge...and then sweat it all out on the treadmill! :drinker:
  • soccerella
    soccerella Posts: 623 Member
    Options
    We make our own beer. We grow our own hops.

We have 3 beer flavors on tap in the garage.

We even pay our kitty sitter in beer.

So, just log it and move on. If you want to have your calories in liquid form do so. Just really don't have more than 1 a day if you can...1 a day actually has health benefits (for men).

theres a house for sale next to me that I need to you move into ASAP