Beer

Options

Replies

• Cntrygal81
    Cntrygal81 Posts: 70 Member
    Options
    Beer is my drink of choice as well, and I haven't cut it out completely I've just made modifications. I'm not a huge drinker anyway - maybe once or twice a week. Now if I want a beer just for the taste of it, like with dinner, I'll have a Bud Select 55. If I'm planning to have a few drinks on a night out I'll try to mix a few of the low-calorie beers in with my regular Bud Light. Plus, like mentioned above, I try to do a little extra work on the days that I might drink and try to fit the drinks in with my calorie plan for the day.

My feeling is, If you try to give up everything you love you'll go crazy and revert back to your old ways. Don't give it all up, just enjoy in moderation...

Good luck!
  • infamousmk
    infamousmk Posts: 6,033 Member
    Options
    I drink beer almost every day. I just make sure the beers I choose are delicious, flavourful, and worth the calories. I drink fewer because I'm really drinking to taste the beer and enjoy it, not get drunk. If you love beer, don't cut it out completely, because eventually you'll have built up resentment and all kinds of other crazy psycho feelings about it, and you'll binge or give up on your fitness completely. (IMO)
  • Candy42adore
    Candy42adore Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    COORS LIGHT is my friend through all this. Good luck!
  • ash1976
    ash1976 Posts: 41 Member
    Options
    I've lost plenty of weight and still drink beer regularly. I just make sure i do enough exercise to make up for it!
  • BruteSquad
    BruteSquad Posts: 373 Member
    Options
    I still drink beer. I just make sure it fits. AND I only have one or two. Usually once a week. The rest of the time I drink mostly water, or if I am out, an iced tea.

I wanted to edit this to specify that I do not waste calories on cheap beer :)
  • JenniferInNY
    JenniferInNY Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    One plus is that, as you lose weight, the amount of beer/alcohol that you want/need will go down because you weigh less. I used to like to have 3 drinks on a Friday night when I went out with the gals. Then I lost about 15% of my body weight and went out with them and had my normal 3 drinks…and found myself really full and completely drunk, to my surprise. It was a combination of the weight loss and the fact that I was eating smaller portion sizes with my drinks.

So now I’m down to 1-2 drinks on a night out, and it’s cheaper, has fewer calories, and I still enjoy myself. Just something to look forward to. (And a gentle warning to those who drink after having some weight loss and cutting food portions...your tolerance has likely decreased!)
  • auroranflash
    auroranflash Posts: 3,569 Member
    Options
    I drink Miller Genuine Draft 64. 64 calories. I can easily fit two into an evening if I want and have plenty of calories left over for dinner, especially if I hit the gym that day.

It's not the best tasting beer but it's got just enough body for me to enjoy it. :)
  • AtticusFinch
    AtticusFinch Posts: 1,263 Member
    Options
    You can still drink the stuff but in reduced quantity. Sometimes I have a whole week without alcohol passing my lips, others I'll drink on 2 or 3 days but only in strict moderation unless it's a very special occasion (holiday abroad, Xmas, birthday, etc).

In restaurants or pubs I'm usually driving so the limit is always 1 beer, or glass of wine. At home it's a bottle of beer or cider usually, 2 glasses of wine, or a short as a nightcap, but only from time to time.

Everything in moderation, but there's no reason why you can't drink eg: Guinness as long as you work the intake into your daily allowance or aggregate it over the week.

So really it's whatever your favourite tipple is, but perhaps you should practice some abstinence first so that you don't slip too easily back into 4 pints a night ?
  • grendel322
    grendel322 Posts: 105 Member
    Options
    Part of the reason I put my weight on was drinking beer at home, four beers Friday, Saturday and sometimes Sunday and if I am honest every now and again on a Wednesday .
    I realise that with my diet I must stop drinking beer and I have, but I was wondering what other people on here drink on a Friday or Saturday night after work to chill out .
    I suppose what I am try to say what other alternatives are there as I don't like the short stuff i.e whiskey,rum ,vodka

Thanks Graham

Graham: You didn't specify what kind of beer you usually like to drink, but as others have pointed out, Guinness is fairly light on calories compared to most. I tend to go for the Imperial Stouts (of course I would!) which are about double the normal caloric amount. If you're serious about fitness and serious about beer, you need to just plan those extra calories into your workout and diet for those days! No need to do without, but if you want to drink the brew, you got some work to do! :) Good luck!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I sometimes have one large strong beer and take my time drinking it. Like Unibroue Trois Pistoles....

Mmmmm! Unibroue brews some awesome beer. La Fin Du Monde is a favorite of mine. :drinker:
  • yummy♥
    yummy♥ Posts: 612 Member
    Options
    I drink beer almost every day. I just make sure the beers I choose are delicious, flavourful, and worth the calories. I drink fewer because I'm really drinking to taste the beer and enjoy it, not get drunk. If you love beer, don't cut it out completely, because eventually you'll have built up resentment and all kinds of other crazy psycho feelings about it, and you'll binge or give up on your fitness completely. (IMO)

pretty much this, exactly (except i mix it up, beer or wine, depending on the mood)

cheers, MissK!
  • dlw13
    dlw13 Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    I don't cut back, and I don't drink anything with the word "light" of "lite" on the label. My "average" week has me drinking around 15 beers. Always on Wednesday night, usually a couple on Thursday, then the rest are on Fri, Sat, Sun. I do exercise every day. EVERY DAY. Sometimes its only a 15 minute walk and 100 push ups, but more often it's a 30 minute run, or my M-W-F boxing class. I will cut back on my snacks, and I've eliminated most of the sweets from my diet, but I'm gonna enjoy my beer.

Cheers! :drinker:
  • deniseearheart
    deniseearheart Posts: 919 Member
    Options
    I love a good pale ale but since I have been loosing weight I switched to light basic beer... sometimes I DR it up into a chelada or I drink a good vodka and soda water with a lemon or lime or red wine and I have about 1 a night to relax during or after a nice hot bath
  • chaniray
    chaniray Posts: 87 Member
    Options
    i love beer too. especiall fresh beer. when i go out i'll have one or two. at home i'll buy yuengling light or drink wine. SOMETIMES mixed drinks with tropicana 50 for the mix.
  • TeutonicKnight
    TeutonicKnight Posts: 367 Member
    Options
    Stop drinking so called 'light beers'. Sure, they have lower calories but are so full of adjunct crap it does more harm to your system than if you were to drink a good craft beer.

Bud Light has almost 1200 ingredients in it, mostly fillers, preservatives, and colors.

I average about a beer a day and I still lose. I stick with beer that is local or I know has less than 5 ingredients.

Paulaner Hefeweizen is one of my go to beers. Also, any good craft IPA has a high concentration of selenium which is good for you!
  • athensguy
    athensguy Posts: 550
    Options
    I consider alcohol to be an important part of my diet for heart health reasons. I have one or two per day and rarely more than that. I only drink actual beers. I don't think the light stuff is palatable. I just count it as calories like I would any other food.
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    Four beers? That may be bordering on binge drinking by medical definition, not moderation. Even with each beer being a 12 oz Miller Lite that's over 400 calories and good for ~20% of ones daily intake. If it's a New Belgium Dig pale ale that's ~720 calories! But I don't think it's possible/practical to quit drinking entirely unless you're an alcoholic (please understand I'm NOT implying that you are--you here is in the most generic of terms because there are alcoholics that NEED/ED to quit).

The secret to success on MFP I think is all things in moderation, except honesty in reporting ALL calories to the app. That said...if your goal is to chill after work, my choice is a spirit mixed with a calorie free "juice" (Crystal light and Jeramiah Weed) or Coke Zero (Smirnoff vanilla vodka) on an empty stomach. For 2 oz (1/4 cup) you're looking at 120-150 calories or go back for a second shorty refill (w 1 oz or 1/8th cup) for a decent buzz and still only around 200 calories. Scan the bottle to know for sure. Best bang for the caloric buck in my opinion. Safe on the stomach? I don't know...but I'm not giving up booze and a little toxin in the body I believe helps make it stronger.
  • mzhokie
    mzhokie Posts: 349 Member
    Options
    I clued in to how many calories I was consuming when I drank beer. That did it for me. I now drink ice tea or water.

The other thing I do is add extra exercise calories to let me enjoy a cold beer when I want too. I try to work out 4 times a week. But i will put in an extra work out or an extra long walk with our dog to get 100-200 calories. Sometimes I enjoy a couple of beers and sometimes I enjoy some food I don't normally eat.

I do it all in moderation now. If beer can motivate you to exercise more, use it. :)
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options
    I clued in to how many calories I was consuming when I drank beer. That did it for me. I now drink ice tea or water.

The other thing I do is add extra exercise calories to let me enjoy a cold beer when I want too. I try to work out 4 times a week. But i will put in an extra work out or an extra long walk with our dog to get 100-200 calories. Sometimes I enjoy a couple of beers and sometimes I enjoy some food I don't normally eat.

I do it all in moderation now. If beer can motivate you to exercise more, use it. :)

Dude, right on! A friend of mine calls that "earning beer credits!" 15 minutes of elliptical or walking up and down stairs at home would be free way to earn another guilt free beer. House cleaning is cardio (look it up!) so vacuum the carpet and dust the blinds and you've earned half a beer. Love it!
  • ding30180
    ding30180 Posts: 53 Member
    Options
    Four beers? That may be bordering on binge drinking by medical definition, not moderation.

Indeed, but clearly you are not well versed in British drinking culture.