What is the WORST protein powder you have had?

Options

Replies

• AmoreCouture
    AmoreCouture Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    BSN Syntha-6 Chocolate Milkshake. It was pretty good, but after a while it started leaving a horrible chemical after-taste and it was a little too thick and clumpy.

I'm on the Six Star Pro Nutrition Whey Isolate and the taste is the best I've tried so far. It really tastes like chocolate.
    I also love the Body Fortress brand. So, both of the cheap brands I've tried, I love. The expensive brand, which I paid about $60 for, I did not.
  • karynspeace
    karynspeace Posts: 132
    Options
    I don't remember the brand per se - but it is the RAW protein powder that is marketed for the RAW diet. I got a packet as a sample and it tasted like vomit.

Honestly the BEST I have tried is the Designer Whey vanilla - but not by itself. I blend it with either fruit, coffee and caramel syrup, or even just natural crystal lite and it is very good. PLUS it is made with stevia, not aspartame or other sugar alcohols - so no gas.
  • fakeplastictree
    fakeplastictree Posts: 836 Member
    Options
    I agree about Muscle Milk.. Stuff taste like *kitten*.
  • BeetleChe13
    BeetleChe13 Posts: 498 Member
    Options
    ON caramel toffe fudge.... was ok to begin with but leaves a funky after taste and tastes odd with fruit so I resorted to mixing with just enough water to make it flow and would chug it.

Market Pantry Vanilla - lumpy no matter how it is mixed and tastes cheap.
    Whhhhaaaat? I use the market pantry vanilla and love it! Maybe my standards are low since it's my first protein powder, but I never had problems with lumps? /shrug

I have the Market Pantry Chocolate whey right now, and I'm thinking of switching to vanilla because it only mixes well with banana and peanut butter. I DO have issues getting it to blend though if I don't use a blender. I like to mix it in my coffee for a latte, but I gave up trying and let the lumps win.
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Anyone yet to try Shakeology? Its from beach body - and they have a vegan one and its supposed to be very finely ground....

I got a few free samples of Shakeology product. Tastes like a mixture of dirt and chalk to me compared to others xD Not worth the price
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    I am lucky--I haven't tried any that are awful. :) I have used/use occasionally a meal replacement one by Naturade called Total Soy. I have used Body Fortress Vanilla and Chocolate flavors, and they're really good, and I've used Pure Protein Vanilla (this one makes really good protein fluff). I've been happy with all of mine. It would be so disappointing to have some that I didn't enjoy!! I love my protein shakes!
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Optimum Choc Cake Batter Casein was pretty bad as well
  • tobiwood1977
    Options
    Anyone yet to try Shakeology? Its from beach body - and they have a vegan one and its supposed to be very finely ground....

I got a few free samples of Shakeology product. Tastes like a mixture of dirt and chalk to me compared to others xD Not worth the price

good to know before I spent 120.00!
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    I took a gamble on a 6lb bag of cryosport 100% whey (muscle milk) powder from costco. Then I remember that there are reasons I don't gamble. It was awful. I couldn't get through the last lb, and I only made it through the first 5 by being stubborn about not wanting to waste the entire bag.
  • grex1949
    grex1949 Posts: 130
    Options
    I'm gathering that this product is vegan-friendly? I've had a difficult time finding non-animal products to supplement protein in my diet. I'm willing to overlook taste (as evidenced by my GNC soy-based protein supplement I'm currently getting through.)
    Options

Oh yea no need to spend that much on a product!!

I have been Loving this stuff lately:
    http://www.muscleandstrength.com/store/isofuel.html

19.99 and has 104 calories, 25g pro, 0g fat, and 1g of carb. Mixes very well
  • jennifer52484
    jennifer52484 Posts: 888 Member
    Options

Cake batter flavor is out of stock... WHAT??? sounds good though.
    Options

Cake batter flavor is out of stock... WHAT??? sounds good though.

I know i was going to order that next too!! They used to have butterscotch D:
    I hope they restock xD
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    I've tried lots of nasty protein powder. Many of the store bought ones have an after taste that lingers forever. I'm in love with the Vi-Shape mix from Visalus. Best I've ever had.

Me too! It is awesome. My results where stalled for months before I tried it, now I am dropping weight so easy! LOVE ViSalus!

Only problem with this is it is mighty expensive and about half the protein as other powders. Tastes good! Macros aren't too great though

I disagree that it is expensive. I'm saving tons of money on the product because each meal is only $1.50. Healthy food costs money, it is worth it but it does get expensive. Because the shake mix provides complete nutrition and promotes lean muscle mass you a lot more "bang for you buck". Also many of the mixes out on the market don't include the protein digestion and nutrient absorption benefit that ViSalus has. Extra protein wont do you any good if your body can't absorb it so you just pee it out.
    :flowerforyou:
  • cgrout78
    cgrout78 Posts: 1,679 Member
    Options

the rocky road sounds good...
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    ON caramel toffe fudge.... was ok to begin with but leaves a funky after taste and tastes odd with fruit so I resorted to mixing with just enough water to make it flow and would chug it.

Market Pantry Vanilla - lumpy no matter how it is mixed and tastes cheap.
    Whhhhaaaat? I use the market pantry vanilla and love it! Maybe my standards are low since it's my first protein powder, but I never had problems with lumps? /shrug

I have the Market Pantry Chocolate whey right now, and I'm thinking of switching to vanilla because it only mixes well with banana and peanut butter. I DO have issues getting it to blend though if I don't use a blender. I like to mix it in my coffee for a latte, but I gave up trying and let the lumps win.
    The vanilla one tastes like rice crispies treats cereal to me. :3
    I hope the chocolate one is just as good! <3
    btw, I use a whisk to mix my powder with any liquids. other than that, I just throw it in my blender. haha
  • Tobi1013
    Tobi1013 Posts: 732 Member
    Options
    I don't remember the brand per se - but it is the RAW protein powder that is marketed for the RAW diet. I got a packet as a sample and it tasted like vomit.

Honestly the BEST I have tried is the Designer Whey vanilla - but not by itself. I blend it with either fruit, coffee and caramel syrup, or even just natural crystal lite and it is very good. PLUS it is made with stevia, not aspartame or other sugar alcohols - so no gas.

After reading this thread, I feel like I got VERY lucky when trying my first protein powder! I'm currently using both the Designer Whey French Vanilla and Chocolate flavors. I have the Magic Bullet (yes, from the infomercials!) and they both blend up nicely and the taste good enough to mix up in water. I also mix them up with greek yogurt and fruit or peanut butter...yum!
  • carlyholly
    Options
    Bump.
  • free2live72003
    Options
    bump
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I bought the Vega Protein powder in Chai and it tasted like sadness in my mouth parts :(