Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How to stop from overeating

2»

Replies

• hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Look into 2 books:

Addiction: The Hidden Epidemic by Pam Killeen (This is a really good one for learning how to fix your brain - it has helped me and of course going Primal was the best thing I did for my brain health)
    And The Mood Cure: The 4-step program to Take Charge of Your Emotions --Today Julia Ross.

Great information regarding your neurotransmitters and what amino acid supplements can aid in getting over addictions (I believe that overeating is actually a carbohydrate addiction. And yes, even "healthy" whole grains can upset that neurotransmitter balance, maybe even more so since the gut and the brain are connected).

This is a start. And the neurotransmitters are amino acids that come from proteins. But if you digestive system is screwed up (it very well could be - my digestive issues were a large part of my anxiety and depression that I have dealt with over the years) then your body is possibly not digesting protein all that well (could also play a part in overeating; eating but not getting the nutrition from the food will keep your body wanting more) then supplements are a good place to start.

And ditch all the edible food like substances that make up more than 90% of the grocery store and eat real, whole foods.

I can tell you this right now. It's not a mental problem or a behavioral problem. It's not "in your head". It's real, it's physical and I know exactly how you are feeling because I've been there. I have never been overweight or obese. But I couldn't stop eating at times (it was usually in the form of a carbohydrates). Try overeating just protein and fat (no carbs). It's pretty much impossible.
  • nebulinda
    nebulinda Posts: 120 Member
    You said you're often depressed, so it might be helpful to see a mental health professional. They will be able to help you with your depression (which will help combat overeating) and will probably be able to help you confront the overeating itself, as well.

If you don't want to or are unable to see a therapist, you could try some other things to stop overeating. Think of the activities you do and places you go where you overeat. Now stop doing those things and going to those places, if possible. For example, when watching TV I always have to have a snack in front of me. Now I pretty much don't watch TV anymore. When you make a meal where you know you will have leftovers, or go out to a restaurant, immediately put half of it into a container and put it away, before you even start eating.

To help when you're feeling depressed, you could try exercising (especially walking or yoga), journaling, calling a friend or family member, or distracting yourself with a book or game.

I found a checklist to determine real hunger vs. emotional hunger from here: http://elitebootcamptraining.com/real-hunger-vs-emotional-hunger/

Real Hunger
    -Builds gradually
    -Strikes below the neck (e.g., growling stomach)
    -Not compulsive
    -Occurs several hours after a meal
    -Goes away when full
    -Leads to feeling of satisfaction after eating

Emotional Hunger
    -Develops suddenly
    -Hits above the neck (e.g., a “taste” for ice cream)
    -Results in an urgent need to eat
    -Is unrelated to time since last meal
    -Is specific, often for a particular food or brand
    -Persists despite fullness

When you are hungry, before you eat anything, determine which type of hungry you are. When you have real hunger, eat something filling and healthy. When you have emotional hunger, try to determine what it is that is making you emotional, and do something else besides eat.
  • ralopez420
    ralopez420 Posts: 4 Member
    I do not carry extra money so I will not be tempted walking past the vending machines or any other food. I also try to plan my meals out in the morning. This way I can pack my lunch and dont have any other choice but to eat what I had packed (this is where having no extra money comes in handy). Also... I remember reading in some magazine that Mariah Carey destroys her food when she doesnt want to eat anymore.. that also works. For example, you have ate enough food - so pour something all over your food, lpour your drink on it, put your napkin on top, spill salt all over it, etc, so that you will not be tempted to keep picking at it. In addition to this, get smaller plates. I know a big problem for me is that I grab a plate and fill it up. Now I grab a bowl and fill it up. This way I can control my portion. I hope this helps!

-Also, When i first started my lifestyle change, I put my scale RIGHT IN FRONT of the fridge. This way i am forced to look at it when getting something to eat. Its all mental. Unfortunately, no one else in my house was very fond of it. :laugh:
  • je158687
    je158687 Posts: 1
    I had the same problem when it came to me gaining weight "overeating". My problem started due to me having a child. During the beginning of my pregnancy I was constantly sick and started to loose significant amounts of weight so I was instructed to eat whatever I could. Shortly after, I got better but still continued to eat whatever, and once I gave birth i chose to nurse and was informed I needed make sure I ate so that my calorie intake would be enough to support my milk supply and child. Now during that time I honestly ate healthy....alot but healthy-lol, because she could not tolerate any fast food or junk food that I ate. Once i weened her off I became so use to eating so much that I kept doing so. While pregnant i got up to 238 once I had her and nursed i dropped down to 186 within 3months and once i stopped I was up to 208 in less then a month and it kept increasing due to my overeating. When i got on the scale on saw 224 i knew it was time to go speak to a professional,and i did! She prescribed me a drug to suppress my appetite, and it has worked. I would honestly suggest going to speak to your doctor like i did, but remember if you are prescribed the suppressant make sure you work out and eat healthy when you do it or else once you stop taking it you will fall back into your old habits.
  • proctor78
    proctor78 Posts: 51
    bump
  • This may sound dramatic, but at restaurants if I want to keep myself from picking at food I don't plan to take home or eat (i.e. a bun I took off my burger, etc), I will put a dirty napkin, pour water, or pour salt on it. It only takes 1 second of self control/motivation to stop yourself in the future.
  • Angie_1MR
    Angie_1MR Posts: 247
    This may sound dramatic, but at restaurants if I want to keep myself from picking at food I don't plan to take home or eat (i.e. a bun I took off my burger, etc), I will put a dirty napkin, pour water, or pour salt on it. It only takes 1 second of self control/motivation to stop yourself in the future.

EXCELLENT idea! thanks :)