What is the WORST protein powder you have had?

Options

Replies

• strikerjb007
    strikerjb007 Posts: 443 Member
    Options
    By far Body Fortress. But some people say it tastes good. I usually supplement protein with fruits so I would add a half a banana. I can't take whey protein alone. Btw, use a frozen one.
  • MikeSEA
    MikeSEA Posts: 1,074 Member
    Options
    ok I see alot of bad proteins lol, I have never taken any protein powders, are they very useful with weight loss? If so which would be a good one to try out?

Protein powders are just protein (unless they add other stuff to them, obviously). So in that sense, they are no worse or better for you than anything else as far as weight loss goes by itself. For example, just adding protein powder to a diet isn't likely to magically help me lose weight unless I'm in a deficit.

They're used as a way to supplement dietary needs for protein in place of whole food sources, like chicken, for various reasons. I personally use protein powder because I lift weights and want to maintain some muscle while I lose weight/fat. And gram for gram, protein powder can be a pretty darn inexpensive and convenient way of getting in some extra protein without getting a ton of extra carbs.

I think my first protein powder I tried was Body Fortress. It has a decent taste, mixes fairly well, it's reasonably priced and widely available at places like Walmart.
  • jessilynn1982
    jessilynn1982 Posts: 48 Member
    Options
    The only one I like is Optimum Nutrition Gold Standard Chocolate Mint...drinking it as we speak...YUM! :smile:

Going to have to try this!
  • Buckeyt
    Buckeyt Posts: 473 Member
    Options
    I don't think I've had any that were exceptionally bad except some Twin Labs stuff I got for like 14 dollars (2 pounds).

I've got Elite Gourmet Choc Peanut Butter right now and it's great if you mix it up in a shaker cup with milk.

I love the Elite Gourmet stuff.

Bought a bag of powder from costco, made by muscle milk but called something else, and it has a metallic smella to it. Shouldn't have bought it. I think MM got low marks for the heavy metals in their powder.
  • summer827
    summer827 Posts: 516 Member
    Options
    Pure Protein Natural Whey Strawberry. Hopefully I'm down to 2 or 3 scoops left. This tub has seemed neverending!!
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    Protein shakes have always sounded a little nasty to me!!!!

The only one I've tried was Sun Warrior's Raw Vegan Chocolate Protein, and that was only because a friend recommended it.
  • sl1ngsh0t
    sl1ngsh0t Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    You can order PB2 online only (Use Google). I just received mine by mail a few days ago.
  • maureen173
    maureen173 Posts: 27 Member
    Options
    Arbonne's Chocolate or Vanilla Protein Powder are both really good. Taste great with fruit (vanilla) or with peanut or almond butter (choc) and they mix up almost like a milkshake. Fills you up as a meal too (20g of protein).
  • alidawn81
    alidawn81 Posts: 8 Member
    Options
    I haven't tried many... the ones I tried all tasted ok. ISO 100 made me gain weight... even though I was promised by the saleman that I could not gain weight on it if I was working out and eating right. Now I am on Muscle Gain from AdvoCare.
  • LeniceH
    LeniceH Posts: 17
    Options
    I've tried lots of the protein shakes, went to the health food store and purchased the trial packets of anything they had....Icky! I'm now on the Vi shakes and absolutely in love with them, the basic flavor is delicious but you can also add fruit and other things to change it up a bit. YUMMY - by far the best I've had yet.
  • aggarwalsameer
    Options
    Have only tried Warrior Whey from Defense Nutrition - love it.
    Have tried three different flavors so far...all taste excellent.
  • easfahl
    easfahl Posts: 567 Member
    Options
    Another vote for the cheap-o Body Fortress Extreme (whey) series. Damn cheap and tastes great. I use them in all my protein recipes. I've had the cookies and cream, vanilla, chocolate, and chocolate peanut butter ones. I don't want to try the strawberry because I'd rather add frozen REAL fruit to one of my fav flavors that make one that I know will disappoint.

I really don't like the GNC soy protein powder, but my boyfriend likes that series. He likes the chocolate and vanilla but he doesn't even like the strawberry one.
  • GroupXZ
    GroupXZ Posts: 196 Member
    Options
    I couldn't stand the GNC Chocolate protein.. I love the Optimum Mint Chocolate protein. Well, I love everything that is mint chocolate. :smokin:
  • Jennplus2
    Jennplus2 Posts: 984 Member
    Options
    Body fortress = 27 servings of one scoop (140 calories, 26 g protein) or 13.5 of the 2 scoop (280 calories, 52 g protein). At 15.00, that's 55.6 c a serving or $1.11 a serving, respectively.

*there's also coupons out pretty regularly to save anywhere from 1.00 to 3.00 per container which is a significant amount for the penny-wise. :)

Ok, so we are only talking about 40 cents difference here. (90 calories, 12g protein)

BUT what are the health benefits other than protein? What are the equivalent nutrients found in everyday food?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=f1IH0qu48jo&feature=relmfu

Do you have a side by side nutrient and calorie comparison? I am really wondering, not just trying to "prove you wrong" but I think overall health of the product should be measured not just straight grams of protein.
  • lrdavenport23
    lrdavenport23 Posts: 60 Member
    Options
    Any Vanilla "flavored" protein tastes like *kitten* to me. I love the flavor Vanilla , but the protein always just tasted like a chemical shake.

I take and love the Chocolate GNC AMP Amplified Wheybolic Extreme 60.. 1 scoop during the day and 2 after a workout or hockey.

Just tried my first protein shake last week and I got the Strawberry GNC Wheybolic Extreme 60. I mix 1.5 scoops after my workout with a 1/2 banana and 2% milk. It's actually pretty good. .I'll have to try the chocolate flavor next.
  • telcochik
    telcochik Posts: 1,643 Member
    Options
    I happen to like the taste of chocolate Shakeology but since it's not meant to be used as a protein powder you can't really compare it to the others mentioned.

The worst I've tried is EAS chocolate (bought it at Costco...5lb bag and it took FOREVER to finish). The best tasting are BSN Lean Dessert...right now I'm using the cinnamon roll flavor to mix into my oatmeal (although chocolate coconut is my favorite flavor to drink) and ProtoWhey chocolate. I'm thinking about next trying the new Myofusion Probiotic formula to see how that tastes.
  • ReneekBurke
    Options
    Soy protein powder from whole foods. UGH.

BEST: protein powder in MD Diet products (im just a client)- bars r tastier w less fat, less sugar and more protein than the MANY ithers Ive tried.

Their lemonade, Strawberry etc flavored powder are excellent-you REALLY cant taste it and get 15grams of protein w a Crystal light taste. They also have Cappachinno drink w same results. Surprisingly signif better tasting than HEED products Ive used for long distance cycling.
  • bafarb
    bafarb Posts: 42
    Options
    go to Bell Plantations website and find a retailer near you that sells
    PB2 or buy it on-line. It is so good the chocolate is also good.
  • Phoenix59
    Phoenix59 Posts: 364 Member
    Options
    Genisoy, by far, was the worst for me! :sick: I'm another Body Fortress fan...vanilla and strawberry. I'm not a fan of chocolate, so I haven't tried it. I would like to try the cookies 'n' cream, though.
  • REET420
    REET420 Posts: 160 Member
    Options
    MYOPLEX it tastes like puke and its chunky and nasty