What will make you fatter...?

Options

Replies

• plethorax
    plethorax Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Well, if you believe a mouse model is applicable to humans, then +1000 calories of fat might reduce glucose use dramatically, compared to +1000 calories of CHO, and this glucose would presumably be converted for storage.

Storlien et al., 1986: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/medline/record/ivp_00029513_251_E576
  • secretlobster
    secretlobster Posts: 3,566 Member
    Options
    The clam hut I frequent

Best name for a brothel ever
  • m60kaf
    m60kaf Posts: 421 Member
    Options
    I reckon its the same

but only good carbs versus good fat

or bad carbs versus transfatty wotnot

one good v one bad - you possibly gain more from the bad one
  • reneegee23
    reneegee23 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    I'm going with neither. Also, I feel depressed just thinking about eating 1000 extra calories of anything. I have problems.
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    My knowledge, up to this point, would leave me to believe that it doesn't not matter.

ETA, this is where my knowledge comes from:

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/how-we-get-fat.html
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Well, if you believe a mouse model is applicable to humans, then +1000 calories of fat might reduce glucose use dramatically, compared to +1000 calories of CHO, and this glucose would presumably be converted for storage.

Storlien et al., 1986: http://www.metabolismjournal.com/medline/record/ivp_00029513_251_E576

Woah! some science, I like your line of thinking though. Only issue with rats and cho consumption is that they are much more efficient then humans at DNL
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Let's assume you are currently maintaining on 2,000 calories a day 50/30/20 C/F/P and you were to overeat consistently by 1,000 calories of either pure carbs or pure fat, which would make you fatter, or would there be no difference and why?

Curious as to what people think. I've seen people state that anything over 15g of cho in a meal will be stored as fat or that fat makes you fat etc etc. So which is worse to overeat, carbs or fats or does it not matter?

What an odd question. I have no idea what the answer for the general population would be, but I'm pretty sure the carbs would make me fatter because if I ate 1000 calories of pure fat I'd probably hurl it right back up. :sick:

A couple of olive oil shots or mixed into a shake and sure you would barely notice

I don't drink shakes but I'm pretty sure I'd notice a shot of olive oil. Actually for the answer I think it might depend on the type of carbs. If I ate a huge amount of fiber for the carbs and we assume I could keep the fat down, I'd probably absorb more calories from the fat since fiber passed through without being absorbed. So the fat would likely make me gain more.
  • AlsDonkBoxSquat
    AlsDonkBoxSquat Posts: 6,128 Member
    Options
    Carbs, because they would inevitably have gluten, to which I am terribly intollerant. So, while it would give me a month of "the runs", I know it would still make me more bloated . . . giving me gurth.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    On paper, I'd say the fat makes you fatter because carbs have a higher TEF.

In reality, the results would probably be about the same.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    Assuming no metabolic issues, I would expect them to be reasonable close to the same.
  • MrsCon40
    MrsCon40 Posts: 2,351 Member
    Options
    I'm going with neither.

It's the caloric surplus that will make you fatter.
  • jamk1446
    jamk1446 Posts: 5,577 Member
    Options
    I would tend to think that for only 30 days, they would be about the same. But I would think that a continued experiment with either would eventually lead to metabolic derangement as weight increased. I would think at that point the excess carbohydrate would be worse. But in the absence of metabolic derangement, I would assume they would net the same results.
  • vim_n_vigor
    vim_n_vigor Posts: 4,089 Member
    Options
    you can't gain fat on a calorie surplus if you're doing tae bo.
    Win!
  • NaturalBodyBuild
    Options
    I would say not much of a difference .. Calories in calories out , Although Carbs and Fats play different roles depends how your body uses them
  • pullipgirl
    pullipgirl Posts: 767 Member
    Options
    It depends on the quality of the fat and carb, the total would be the same
  • Jeff92se
    Jeff92se Posts: 3,369 Member
    Options
    Wouldn't it depend on if 100% of the calories from both are actually absorbed by the body? and which set of calories takes more calories to process?
  • lottycat
    lottycat Posts: 333 Member
    Options
    The clam hut I frequent

Best name for a brothel ever

Pah ha ha!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    Carbs, because they would inevitably have gluten, to which I am terribly intollerant. So, while it would give me a month of "the runs", I know it would still make me more bloated . . . giving me gurth.

If we're talking 1000 calories of just carbs, would gluten be an issue? Gluten is a protein, isn't it?
  • Cr357
    Cr357 Posts: 238
    Options
    1000 cal excess = 1000 cal excess .......bottom line
  • ms_tris
    ms_tris Posts: 82 Member
    Options
    I'm going to say the carbs, specifically because of the insulin spikes and storage factor. But, anything over maintenance is superfluous and would make you fatter anyway. So both. :0P But I think you'd be bi&$%ier eating the surplus carbs (sugar highs and lows) and less able to actually eat 1000 SURPLUS calories of pure fat. Fat is filling.

Done rambling. :)