CANNOT get under 130

Options
1235»

Replies

• heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Really helpful. Yes my goals I think are reasonable due to my height i would like to be 115 lbs eventually. I eat between 1200-1500 cals a day (depending on my exercise)!

Ok, so got enough info probably to see what is happening up till now.
    And as you'll see, good idea taking the suggestions given to eat more since you have a great workout.

20, 61", 130, estimated BMR could be 1297, pretty low because you are near goal weight, and shorter.

Workout 30-60 min 5-6 days a week, eat 1200 to 1500.

If those workouts are decent enough to burn 350 - 700 calories, you could be NETting between 800 - 850 constantly.
    If you have really been at this routine for awhile and are not hungry at that level, your metabolism for basic functions of life must lower to what it is provided after exercise burns what it got.
    Once metabolism slows, all other daily activity burns less too, including those exercise calories if really that low.

So say it came back up to 850 for BMR.
    Your activity level including workouts appears to be between Lightly Active to Moderately Active, or multiplier of 1.45.
    850 x 1.45 = 1232 for maintenance level.

So in essence, you are eating at maintenance level when you eat 1200-1500. So of course no weight loss.

So you can't really go down any further - and why would you, it'll just slow down again after a lag time.

But you can always go up to get your metabolism burning high again!

Suggest setting goal at 1400, and eating back your exercise calories. That will allow your BMR to reach potential, and allow loss to start again.

If you don't know what exercise calorie burn is based on HRM, then suggest you use failsafe method.

1297 x 1.45 = 1880 - 10% = 1692 as everyday goal, and do NOT eat back exercise calories because it's already in that estimate.

MFP can be tweaked in settings to follow either of those goals - let me know if interested and I'll spell it out.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options
    If you can't lose weight for weeks on end, it's BECAUSE YOU ARE EATING TOO MUCH.

When you are in your healthy range, and especially when you only have a few lbs to lose, you have to usually eat below your BMR to lose at any see-able pace. I ran the number for another lady and if she were eating at a 15% cut from her TDEE, she was only going to lose 1 pound every seven weeks. That is just entirely discouraging for anyone. You are off by your cal count even a little bit and you can blow it.

If you are wanting to lose weight, I would drop your daily goal by 250 a day and reassess in a couple weeks (this is about 1/2 lb per week loss). Yeah yeah yeah, depending on what you are eating, you might drop below the "golden" 1,200. If you are small though (you sound like you are) you will be fine. I am 5'5" 135 lbs and ate at 1,150 for 7 weeks and lost about 1.4 lbs a week (I since upped it since I only wanted to lose 1 lb a week, but just to show you, I felt fine at the time and it is totally doable).

Don't beleive this CRAP they are telling you about "maybe that is where you are supposed to be." 130 lbs is EASILY within the healthy range for your height. If you aren't losing weight, it means it's because you are eating at your maintenance. EVERYONE'S body is going to not lose weight when you eat at your maintenance. That's it. You need to eat less to lose.

Good luck! :flowerforyou: You CAN DO IT!

Actually it's probably if you plateau it's usually because you are eating too little.

Eating 1150 is not ok- unless you are a dwarf.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    bump
  • anphi14
    anphi14 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Thanks so much! Really helpful. Yes my goals I think are reasonable due to my height i would like to be 115 lbs eventually. I eat between 1200-1500 cals a day (depending on my exercise)!

Ok, so got enough info probably to see what is happening up till now.
    And as you'll see, good idea taking the suggestions given to eat more since you have a great workout.

20, 61", 130, estimated BMR could be 1297, pretty low because you are near goal weight, and shorter.

Workout 30-60 min 5-6 days a week, eat 1200 to 1500.

If those workouts are decent enough to burn 350 - 700 calories, you could be NETting between 800 - 850 constantly.
    If you have really been at this routine for awhile and are not hungry at that level, your metabolism for basic functions of life must lower to what it is provided after exercise burns what it got.
    Once metabolism slows, all other daily activity burns less too, including those exercise calories if really that low.

So say it came back up to 850 for BMR.
    Your activity level including workouts appears to be between Lightly Active to Moderately Active, or multiplier of 1.45.
    850 x 1.45 = 1232 for maintenance level.

So in essence, you are eating at maintenance level when you eat 1200-1500. So of course no weight loss.

So you can't really go down any further - and why would you, it'll just slow down again after a lag time.

But you can always go up to get your metabolism burning high again!

Suggest setting goal at 1400, and eating back your exercise calories. That will allow your BMR to reach potential, and allow loss to start again.

If you don't know what exercise calorie burn is based on HRM, then suggest you use failsafe method.

1297 x 1.45 = 1880 - 10% = 1692 as everyday goal, and do NOT eat back exercise calories because it's already in that estimate.

MFP can be tweaked in settings to follow either of those goals - let me know if interested and I'll spell it out.

Thank you sooo much! It means alot to me that you figured this all out. So in short you are saying I should set 1692 as my everyday goal, but included in that is the exercise cals. Would 1400 be my goal on days I don't work out?
  • songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Can we start a group?!? :happy: I haven't been under 130 in 6 years! And I have done powerlifting, 5k/8k races, mountain biking races, normal carb, low carb, etc. etc. I am at 130.4...SO CLOSE. 130 was my first goal but I need to lose more fat in my lower body. My goal is 125 (I'm 5'0 but I have a lot of muscle mass I don't want to lose).

Soooooo group?!?
  • anphi14
    Options
    Can we start a group?!? :happy: I haven't been under 130 in 6 years! And I have done powerlifting, 5k/8k races, mountain biking races, normal carb, low carb, etc. etc. I am at 130.4...SO CLOSE. 130 was my first goal but I need to lose more fat in my lower body. My goal is 125 (I'm 5'0 but I have a lot of muscle mass I don't want to lose).

Soooooo group?!?

I hear ya. I feel like I just constantly fluctuate in the 130s. I don't even remember when I was less then that!
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options
    What's these shenanigans about having to eat less than 1200 calories to weigh less than 130lbs? I'm 5'2", 125lbs and I eat waaaaaay more than 1200 calories a day!

SHENANIGANS!
  • anphi14
    Options
    What's these shenanigans about having to eat less than 1200 calories to weigh less than 130lbs? I'm 5'2", 125lbs and I eat waaaaaay more than 1200 calories a day!

SHENANIGANS!

How many do you eat? WHAT ARE YOUR SECRETS!! lol. What do you for workouts?
  • armaretta
    armaretta Posts: 851 Member
    Options

SHENANIGANS!

I eat anywhere from 1600-2300 cals/day, depending on my activity that day. My net is usually 1500-1900. I maintain NETTING 1900 quality calories a day. No need to starve yourself to skinny. My net is set at 1700 right now to cut some bodyfat%. My TDEE is 1900-2700+ per day via BodyMedia Fit.

I run 15-20miles/week broken up over 3-4 days, and I lift heavy 2-3x week.

Chances are, even if you do starve yourself to your goal weight, you won't look the way you think you will. What most people want is the nice, fit athletic, but slender look. Without properly training and feeding your body to preserve your muscle mass, you'll just look like a smaller version of a fatter you. Harsh, but true.

Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you want after reading my "about me" disclaimer on my profile! :flowerforyou:
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options

Chances are, even if you do starve yourself to your goal weight, you won't look the way you think you will. What most people want is the nice, fit athletic, but slender look. Without properly training and feeding your body to preserve your muscle mass, you'll just look like a smaller version of a fatter you. Harsh, but true.

This!

When I was 117 I didn't look much better than I did now. My legs looked worse, because they were flabby. I looked way better after resistance training while weighing closer to 130 than 120. I just want to get back there now.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options

SHENANIGANS!

Love you Armaretta!!! You rock girl and you said it all!

I'm 5'5", 121.5lbs and eating 2000-2800/day depending on my workouts. Being a small girl does NOT have to equal starving. Fire up those metabolisms ladies and eat some good food!
  • heybales
    Options

Thank you sooo much! It means alot to me that you figured this all out. So in short you are saying I should set 1692 as my everyday goal, but included in that is the exercise cals. Would 1400 be my goal on days I don't work out?

Nope, everyday 1692. Your exercise burn is being balance across the week, so eating should be too. So hard workout days may NET under BMR slightly, light above, rest days above enough to balance.

If you want to have MFP get you close to this, so that it automatically lowers the goal as weight goes down, you can do the following setup.

Settings - Diet/Fitness Profile
    Activity Level - Active
    Weight loss goal - 1/2 lb weekly.

Should create a daily goal of 1630, which is close enough. If you want to log workouts just for easy review of time and days done, you can log calories as 1 so it doesn't change that daily goal.

Or you can log the calories, and keep in mind the daily goal MFP changes to include credit for exercise calories should NOT be eaten, so leave in green for the day what the footnote says the credit is, and just remember 1630 is daily goal.

I prefer using 1 cal, so if workout is early, I can easily plan rest of day, instead of having fun with math.
  • keiraev
    keiraev Posts: 695 Member
    Options

SHENANIGANS!

I eat anywhere from 1600-2300 cals/day, depending on my activity that day. My net is usually 1500-1900. I maintain NETTING 1900 quality calories a day. No need to starve yourself to skinny. My net is set at 1700 right now to cut some bodyfat%. My TDEE is 1900-2700+ per day via BodyMedia Fit.

I run 15-20miles/week broken up over 3-4 days, and I lift heavy 2-3x week.

Good luck! Feel free to friend me if you want after reading my "about me" disclaimer on my profile! :flowerforyou:

:heart: this post!
  • LindsayE007
    LindsayE007 Posts: 212 Member
    Options
    I am 5'4" and also stuck in the 128-131 range!! It's driving me crazy! I want to get down to 120.
  • hippiechel
    hippiechel Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    i'm 5'5.5" and i have been hovering in the 130-140 range for over a year. partly because i don't exercise so i have started exercising about 2 weeks ago - i can report back to see how this goes. i've been trying to get below 130 for the longest time. this is NOT the weight or shape my body wants to be at.

i've been at 121lbs 2-3 years ago and still had some flab, so i want to go back to that weight but be more toned.

would love to see success stories and people's progress.
  • heybales
    Options
    I am 5'4" and also stuck in the 128-131 range!! It's driving me crazy! I want to get down to 120.

Not sure if you read all the posts - some good advice in the majority along the same lines.
  • Smuterella
    Smuterella Posts: 1,623 Member
    Options
    You know, I'm starting to get really jaded. Perhaps because I moved my calories back down after 3 weeks of eating more not working and getting confused with how my fitbit works.

I wish I could just find something that works. Sigh.