• i_miss_donuts
    i_miss_donuts Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    bump to keep it alive
  • psuLemon
    psuLemon Posts: 38,411 MFP Moderator
    Options
    I'll try to make this short:
    I used to eat 1200 a day lost apx 70 pounds in 7ish months. I've slowly increased my daily intake to between 16-1700 over the past 2 months with a roughly once a week "cheat" day of apx 2000. I am doing NRofLFW 2-3xwk and cardio triathlon/marathon training 3-4 days a week.
    I have 15 pounds to loose and the scale hasnt budged. yet.

Do I just need to be more patient? I want to gain muscle as well, but I am still struggling to make the daily calorie goals as is. For now, Im just focusing on making the muscle I have stronger and *hoping* it will help shed more of the fat/ increase my TDEE in the long run.

Anyone have advice for me? I have gotten some advice from Lemon and I am trying to increase the calories... main question is basically, DO I NEED TO WAIT LONGER TO SEE THE SCALE GO DOWN???

There could be a couple of things. How much are you running. If you are training a lot you probably need more than 1700. I have put women on 2100 calories diets and all they do is weight train. Now take that and add a long distance run and uou will need more fuel. Do me a favor and go to fat2fit.com and use the bmr calculator. Post the results and how much you run and we can figure out uour caloric needs.
  • googsgirl
    googsgirl Posts: 76 Member
    Options
    Hi Pseulemon,

I just figured the fit to fat radio calculations ( BMR 1303) and it suggested 2026 cals for me ( moderate active- I do JM 30 day shred 5 days a week and walk for an hour pushing a toddler in a stroller 2 times a week).

I only have 10 pounds to lose.

It says if you are close to your goal weight it is ok to decrease the calories by a few hundred. For me, that would be 1726.

So, I am to eat 1726, without eating back exercise cals. But I kind of like to Eat back the calories, as per MFP as it's easier for me to track on my iphone.

Since I burn about 200 cals on exercise days, could I just not put in calorie goal on MFP at 1526 and then eat back the exercise cals?

Any input would be great. Since joining MFP I have barely lost a pound. Yet, I feel so good eating healthy food and consistently exercising. I just need some knowledgable support to suggest I am or am not on the right track.

Thanks,
    Andrea
  • googsgirl
    Options
    bump for any input or help from anyone!:smile:
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    @googsgirl--yes you can set your target to 1526--then add in exercise. If you do more exercise you CAN exceed the 1726 you're aiming for.
  • googsgirl
    Options
    OOOOh. I am pretty darn excited. I feel happier already!
  • LRuland
    LRuland Posts: 12 Member
    Options
    All I know is that you need to eat enough to burn anything off. If you don't eat enough, which MFP tells me when I don't eat enough, then the weight will take a while to come off. I try not to eat my calories back. Then what's the point?
  • AReasor
    AReasor Posts: 355 Member
    Options
    It seems like every month(when I seem to plateau) I am upping my calories by about 200. I started at 1200 calories, then did 1400, and currently just upped to 1600. I needed the food. Just slowly got hungrier and hungrier.

Don't be afraid to experiment and see what works for you. Just remember things change constantly, your body is a work in progress. If you had asked me 3 months ago whether I would use protein powder, my answer would be NO. I'll just eat more. Well here I am sucking down my protein powder every day because I have been HANGRY.

:smile:
  • Wendyerickson
    Wendyerickson Posts: 73 Member
    Options
    bump
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    Not me. I went down to the appropriate number of calories from the start and have been losing weight ever since. Yay for me! Switching to maintenance next week! Hooray!
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    Even Jillian Michaels eats 2000 plus calories a day...... When I was trying to "stay under my calorie goal", I was losing very slowly. I was netting about 1200 cals a day. When I finally convinced myself to eat more, I started losing faster. I wish I could remember the site (this one is close http://www.skinbodyfitness.com/bmr_bmi_bfp.htm). The calculator and BMR table will show you how many calories you need based on your activity level.

Think of it this way. Are you really going to eat this way for the rest of your life? If I had to stick to 1200 calories a day I would crash and burn. No way could I stick to that. But keeping my net calories around 1500 is doable. I can eat healthy but normal foods, my body is not suffering, and I can enjoy life. I can stick to that for the rest of my life. That's what matters.
  • sonyachan
    sonyachan Posts: 518 Member
    Options
    I recently met with a dietitian who told me I should eat 1600 cals/day and exercise 600 cals worth but not to eat back the cals I burnt off. That would net me only 1000/day! I thought this sounded low.

BAD advice!
  • jennifer783
    jennifer783 Posts: 86 Member
    Options
    *bump*
  • lamb45952
    lamb45952 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    bump!
  • cjr312
    cjr312 Posts: 23 Member
    Options
    bump
  • betholiver
    Options
    bump
  • AnarchoGen
    AnarchoGen Posts: 400 Member
    Options
    I GAINED *weight* by eating more, but hey, it's not necessarily a bad thing. My body fat % went down, just about 2 weeks after I increased my cals! :D
  • _Kitten_Kate
    _Kitten_Kate Posts: 520 Member
    Options
    bump
  • bigredhearts
    Options
    initially i was losing weight on cals roughly that of my bmr (1700). then i thought, what could be the harm in raising them roughly 300 cals, but still be 15-20% of my TDEE. I am still in the first phase as i did gain water weight, HOWEVER, im down a total of 6.5 inches and only down 1.2 lbs of my start wieght. Either way, i'd say its well worth it :smile: