Avocados

Options

Replies

• MummyDB
    MummyDB Posts: 106 Member
    Options
    I cut them up in chunks and put them on the top of a bowl of veggie chili. So yum.
  • jj3120
    jj3120 Posts: 358
    Options
    This is great! I have just been eating them as they are so going to be trying some of these idea's!!
  • tania2287
    tania2287 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I just love Avocados and that is really the best fat if you are going to eat fat you should eat Avocados..I use it on bread as l do not use butter at all.
  • 714rah714
    714rah714 Posts: 759 Member
    Options
    Eat one everyday, whether it's on a salad or on a piece of toasted rye bread along with some salsa, this is one food I could not live without.
  • sazzet
    sazzet Posts: 56 Member
    Options
    From day one of my new health life style, I eat one avocado a day. Can't live without it and still losing weight.
  • juliekaiser1988
    juliekaiser1988 Posts: 604 Member
    Options
    My latest go to lunch: 50 calorie wrap with 3 ounces cooked shrimp, half an avacado, and homemade super spicy salsa. So yummy!!
  • Krisgren
    Krisgren Posts: 95
    Options
    Alright all you avocado experts help me out!!! First off, I like avocado, second off I cannot buy one correctly worth a darn, too soft or too hard, never the right texture, and how do I store them?? Today I threw two out that seemed perfectly fine when I bought them yesterday and soft and mushy today, what the heck???
  • ErnieM88
    ErnieM88 Posts: 146 Member
    Options
    I love them in salad or mashed onto bread in a sandwich, or eaten straight out of the skin with a spoon....
  • TheDevastator
    TheDevastator Posts: 1,626 Member
    Options
    Alright all you avocado experts help me out!!! First off, I like avocado, second off I cannot buy one correctly worth a darn, too soft or too hard, never the right texture, and how do I store them?? Today I threw two out that seemed perfectly fine when I bought them yesterday and soft and mushy today, what the heck???

I buy them green and hard and eat them as soon as they are slightly soft. This usually takes a few days. I can't stand the taste of them after they start turning brown inside. I leave them on the kitchen table to ripen.
  • getfitnfab
    getfitnfab Posts: 418 Member
    Options
    I have yet to buy one,

Love it raw with shrimp ceviche

Love guacamole

Please give more tips on buying
  • mmklinemm
    mmklinemm Posts: 58 Member
    Options
    One of my favorite foods - thanks for all the new ideas!! I usually just slice and add them to tacos and salads or spread on sandwiches instead of mayo.
  • janenightingale
    janenightingale Posts: 55 Member
    Options
    Half an avocado with balsamic vinegar in stone hole. Eat with small teaspoon to make it last longer - delicious
  • Allie_71
    Allie_71 Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    Okay, why have I never thought of putting avocado on my chili...? Yum. Thanks :):)
  • XXXMinnieXXX
    XXXMinnieXXX Posts: 3,459 Member
    Options
    i decided to try them for the first time last week and it was hard and tasteless. someone told me to wait until it goes softer and try again, so i will. apparantly they feel a little squidgy in your hand when ripe and taste delicious. I'm skeptical but will try again. Ive been told desserts made with them are wonderful ie avacado chocolate moose. May have to try that! x
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    I eat a vegan diet and so avocados are a big part of that - well they were before!

They're really good for you, and so versatile. I like to put salsa in the hole and then eat with a spoon - or put in a pita with baby spinach, falafel, tomato and onion.

Guacamole is ace on chilli/as a dip.

Just have a google for recipes, you'll find heaps!
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    Add to scrambled eggs--YUMMMM!

^^^^^I also do this! Awesome on eggs.
  • mbts08
    mbts08 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    i decided to try them for the first time last week and it was hard and tasteless. someone told me to wait until it goes softer and try again, so i will. apparantly they feel a little squidgy in your hand when ripe and taste delicious. I'm skeptical but will try again. Ive been told desserts made with them are wonderful ie avacado chocolate moose. May have to try that! x

Try them cold, they taste better this way.
  • terri0527
    terri0527 Posts: 678 Member
    Options
    bump for ideas with avocados...never ate them except in guacamole :ohwell:
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    I use them instead of Mayo on sandwiches. DELICIOUS!
  • SarahLynn1985
    SarahLynn1985 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    I like to use them instead of cheese on a grilled turkey burger. Good fat! Mmm!