We love Whole Foods But Shop At Wal-Mart. Where do you groc

Options

Replies

• skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Options
    I shop at Publix. I'm willing to pay a few bucks more every month to avoid feeling like I need a shower when I get home from the store. Back when I lived near a Whole Foods I used to shop there for a few items I liked.
  • Paolinat
    Paolinat Posts: 81 Member
    Options
    I do not shop Walmart. I refuse to shop Walmart. I am willing to pay more not to shop at a store where most of there employees do not get benefits and are underpaid. I shop at places that treat their employees well and I know my extra dollar(s) is to help the employees' families in health and in living.
  • SusanMcAvoy
    SusanMcAvoy Posts: 445 Member
    Options
    I do not shop Walmart. I refuse to shop Walmart. I am willing to pay more not to shop at a store where most of there employees do not get benefits and are underpaid. I shop at places that treat their employees well and I know my extra dollar(s) is to help the employees' families in health and in living.

I wish I didn't shop at Walmart for the reason that you stated but because of my money situation I have to. I use Walmart for every day items such as paper towels, etc. I buy my food at our local supermarket. I do spend money at Whole Foods for supplements though. I don't trust supplements sold at Walmart. If you are socially conscious and really want to buy from a blue store, shop at Costco. They are terrific to their employees.
  • juliesummers
    juliesummers Posts: 738 Member
    Options
    the inexpensive international market that has things i can't find anywhere else
    and
    Trader Joe's .. some things are just cheaper there!

^^^ This. I shop at my local Armenian market. Apples 3lbs for a dollar, bananas 2lbsfor a dollar, onions 4lbs for a dollar... yes please!

And for the record, I absolutely refuse to support WalMart for ethical reasons.
  • Debbe2
    Debbe2 Posts: 2,071 Member
    Options
    I shop SAMs Club, Costco, Trader Joe's, Fry's, and Walmart. Whole Foods and AJ's for lunch as a treat from time to time. I also shop at Farmer's Markets.
  • dumb_blondes_rock
    dumb_blondes_rock Posts: 1,568 Member
    Options
    I live in a small town and we only have alberston's. Our albertson's prices are more expensive than the albertson's 35 mins away, so i drive 35 mins to go to walmart to shop. A lean pockets meal is 1.98 at walmart at its 3.98 at our alberstons....thats how it is for EVERYTHING....i save a good 200 extra dollars a month just by driving a little ways away
  • Cait_Sidhe
    Cait_Sidhe Posts: 3,150 Member
    Options
    I've never shopped at WalMart for groceries. I usually go to whatever grocery store is closest because I don't have a car. But I do like Trader Joes. The food is surprisingly cheaper and not surprisingly better.]

Lately I've been going to Whole Foods once a week though for my food for that day. It's expensive, but sometimes worth it.
  • JamieDD
    JamieDD Posts: 175 Member
    Options
    We shop at Wal-Mart, Super-One and Safeway. In the summer when Colville has it's farmers market we get fruit & veggies there.
  • ash_ho_ley
    Options
    I'm fortunate enough to have a few amish grocery stores near me where I can get a lot of fresh things for cheeeap, and a lot healthier food options too. I always like to hit up the public markets in the summer when they have all of their fresh produce.
  • DragonSkip
    DragonSkip Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    I get the bulk of our food from West Wind Farms where I have a "group csa." Otherwise mostly WalMart because of price and they're open in the middle of the night. Some things I can get at my local food co-op and I go to Earth Fare sometimes for special ingredients and the meat case has an awesome selection. Kroger is usually for when my Walmart doesn't have stuff in the night or just stopping on my way home from somewhere.
  • k011185
    k011185 Posts: 320 Member
    Options
    Safeway and Trader Joe's for me. Our Walmart is insane, I don't care if they were giving groceries away, not worth he crowds!
    There were a couple things I needed from there last month, so I decided to go really early, went in at 5 am and still had to wait 20 minutes in line.

Produce and dairy I get at a local Farmer's Market, can't beat their prices.
  • Cold_Steel
    Cold_Steel Posts: 897 Member
    Options
    My wife is the shopper ... Walmart has VERY deceptive pricing. Always check elsewhere. Staters / Vons/ Albertons (Southern California) always have like 3 for 9.99 sodas or 1.99lb meat specials and in comparison to Wal Mart- Wal Mart is oftentimes way more expensive. They rarely have sales on the common items and tend to drop prices on stuff that doesn't sell so it does sell.

Wal Mart is funny that way - I knew someone in their marketing and basically what they do is in order to maintain their pricing they always meet or beat prices on items that are sold in other stores meanwhile they JACK up the prices on items that are not commonly found until they are not selling then they drop those prices and replace with another item that is not sold elsewhere.

You also have to be cautious of the Wal Mart brand "Great Value / Equate" stuff as well like in paper towels and tp, compare prices usually Sparkle / and other companies will be way lower but they usually tactically place the Wal Mart stuff so it appears to overwhelm you and that is all they have....
  • quietasariot
    quietasariot Posts: 198 Member
    Options
    Depends on where I am/what I am doing. If it's a planned grocery trip, Safeway is my best bet. Foodmaxx and Raley's are nearby but generally run about the same prices, same with Lucky - but I don't like the Lucky here, it's pretty cramped.

I like shopping at Trader Joe's sometimes... but yeah, my mainstay is Safeway.
  • angielautenbach
    angielautenbach Posts: 119 Member
    Options
    Winco. It is actually cheaper the Walmart! Use to shop at Walmart till we moved to a city that had a Winco now we go there.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    Options
    I'm military and I do my groceries at the Base Commissary - I love fresh produce - but for everything else, Commissary. It beats Walmart on price, the meat is excellent quality, and it's huge - the selection is excellent :-)
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    I'll get frozen dinners at Walmart, but that's my limit. Their meat and produce is gross.
    Prefer my local grocery for meat and produce - even over whole foods.
    only go to whole foods for stuff I can't find usually.
  • ScottyNoHotty
    ScottyNoHotty Posts: 1,954 Member
    Options
    I suppose I would shop around and compare prices..however, I do not have that option. Walmart is the cheapest and best stocked store for within 45 miles of my house. Although. I do raise my most of my own veggies and harvest some game animals.
  • shannoninBC
    shannoninBC Posts: 371 Member
    Options
    If I could afford it I would shop at Choices (similar to your Whole Foods) but majority of groceries come from Superstore or Walmart. It boils down to price and convenience.
  • Frisky_CoastalNative
    Options
    I shop at a store here I think may only be in AZ called Sprouts Farmers Market. It's a whole foods store and they best prices on nearly everything. It's a comfortable shopping enviroment. They run ads and continual specials that aren't in the ads, so on so forth. I compare them with other store ads, they are competitive. Their produce is top notch, organic without the organic prices and thier meat taste like it is supose to without any fillers. I do go to Kroger for paper products though. MFP doesn't have them in the data base so I just use what is "close enough." They have all the vitamins, protein bars and whey protein a person could ever ask for as well.
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options
    I shop at Walmart because it's about 50% cheaper than anywhere else. I don't like shopping there. I do prefer a more traditional grocery store. But money is the bottom line.

There are a few things I can't find there, so I go to Publix (traditional grocery for those who don't live in the Southeast), Earth Fare (kind of like a Whole Foods, but smaller chain) or a co-op grocery we have here. I get my bulk stuff at the co-op and it's the only place that has yogurt I can eat. There are a few things Earth Fare has that I can't get elsewhere, plus it's less than a mile from my house.