Half Marathon runners....

Options

Replies

• tabbydog
    tabbydog Posts: 4,925 Member
    Options
    I am running my first half on April 14th and I hope to finish around 2:30-ish. All of my training has been hilly, and the half I am doing is mostly flat. I ran 12.5 hilly miles in about 2:30 last weekend, so I should be able to pull it off. I have a friend who is going to help me with speed over the summer, so hopefully my next one will be faster. :wink:
  • mandy_lynn
    mandy_lynn Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    I'm running my first half at the end of the month. Which half are you running?

I'm running the Pittsburgh Half Marathon for this first one.
  • mkaros11
    mkaros11 Posts: 3
    Options
    My first half was at 2.01. Pretty good 9 miler, keep up the good work. and good luck!
  • SinIsIn
    SinIsIn Posts: 1,865 Member
    Options
    I did my first half in Feburary and I finished in 2:34. I didn't train for it though, the most I had ever ran then was 7 miles. I am planning on doing another one in November. =)
  • jenniebean1680
    jenniebean1680 Posts: 351 Member
    Options
    My first half ever was around 2:30. If you can comfortably and regularly (once a week) run that 9-miler a few times between now and the half, you should have no problem finishing! Have fun!!!
  • sophieshaped
    sophieshaped Posts: 228 Member
    Options
    My first half last November was 2:06. I had injured knees so could have run a little quicker in theory. When I'm up and running again I plan to do 5ks but if I were to do another half, 2hrs would be my aim!
  • HJCsDaddy
    HJCsDaddy Posts: 419 Member
    Options
    last year, 1:45:47, running my second one on Saturday in Colorado!
  • bholmes21
    bholmes21 Posts: 59 Member
    Options
    Ran 13 last weekend on hills & 90 degree heat in 2.5 hrs. Aiming for my First 1/2(April 15) to be between 2:10-2:25. :smile: :smile: :smile:
  • taramaureen
    taramaureen Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    I'm slow. My first half was in March and my goal was 3 hours. I did it in 3:04.
  • kechiemc
    kechiemc Posts: 1,355 Member
    Options
    Wow! You are fast. Runners World has a race prediction calculator that will give you a very good prediction of your finish time.

I have run the half marathon maybe half a dozen times and I always average a pace at the race that is faster than any of my training runs. It is fun and exciting to be running with others. That said. Don't go out too fast. It will make miles 8-13 dreadful.
  • Angie80281
    Angie80281 Posts: 444 Member
    Options
    I just ran my first half a few weeks ago and came in just over 2:09. Don't be overly concerned with time, just pace yourself. You'd be better off running a slower, constant speed than taking off fast and wearing yourself out. The terrain will also impact your time. I was lucky enough to run a relatively flat course, so there were no pesky hills to slow me down. If you like to run to music and the race rules allow it, make yourself a kick-@$$ playlist ahead of time. I picked "the best of the best" songs, the ones that made it nearly impossible for me to slow down. For me, the music helps my speed and takes my mind off the pain.
  • berv0009
    berv0009 Posts: 465 Member
    Options
    I finished my first half in 2:22! And I cannot agree with everyone more, DO NOT GO OUT TO FAST!!!!!!!!! If anything, start way slower than you think you should and then build from there. :)
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I'm not ready for a half yet, but I am loving reading these. You guys are motivating!
  • SavCal71
    SavCal71 Posts: 350 Member
    Options
    My first was 2:18.
    My second was 2:44 - bad, wet, cold, weather and I had a stomach bug that required SEVEN portapotty stops, lol
    My third is in 3 weeks - my goal is 2:30.
  • partonsara
    partonsara Posts: 79 Member
    Options

Nice! I am running my first one in Maryland. I was hoping to run in to someone on here who might be running the same one. Good luck!
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options
    I had a cold on my first so I had a HORRIBLE finish. I had to walk most of it. 3:23:56. I was actually woozy at the start and all the way through it.
  • FitJoani
    FitJoani Posts: 2,173 Member
    Options

Are you from??? If you are add me. I was going to be there for the full but I am selling my bib.....if you do any others message me :)
  • SueInAz
    SueInAz Posts: 6,592 Member
    Options
    ah yes..Ive had black toenails since I started long runs of 8 miles...its a beautiful thing...a thing to be proud of ..kinda like those mommy stretch marks..you earned them :)

Eep. You might want to go up a size in shoes. Black toenails are usually a result of having too small shoes...my running shoes for anything over 10 miles are 2 sizes bigger than my usual shoe size.

really? wow...and the shoes I have now..(Asics Gel Kayano only shoe I wear) tend to slip a little at first. They never feel tight..never hurt. Alot of runners have black toenails...no?
    A lot of runners have black toenails but that doesn't mean you need to suffer with them. I had issues with the longest toe on each foot when I first started running more than 4 miles. Black toenail on each within the first few weeks! I ended up buying a pair of running shoes which are 1.5 sizes bigger than my normal sneaker and I've had no problems with black toenails since.
  • what923
    what923 Posts: 100 Member
    Options
    Very individual but I think you see most of us are not super speedy (under 2 hrs in my opinion). Crossing the finish line especially for your first is really the triumph. anything under 3 hours is respectable...even speedwalkers and people who walk/run interval can usually make that. I would say the best thing is ever heard was "you are only racing against yourself"! This is what motivates me to keep training. I may never 'beat' anyone else but if I know I've worked hard and can improve myself- that is always an awesome feeling. I'm certainly not anyone who eats perfectly clean but better diet, weight training, speed/hill training and dropping 40 pounds has turned me in 18 months from a 2:40 finish to a 2:12 and trying to shave a few minutes off that in a 1/2 this Saturday. Get that first one under your belt and you'll be addicted! Safe training!
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    I read this week that the largest half marathon the average finish time was at 2:29