And on the seventh day HE feasted

Options

Replies

• rtmama
    rtmama Posts: 403 Member
    Options
    Awesome! This is very helpful! Thanks for all the advice guys! This one is going into My Topics so I can remember it!
  • April0815
    April0815 Posts: 780 Member
    Options
    I don't have "cheat" days, if I am craving something if I have enough calories I can eat it. But since I started my healthy living I haven't had to many cravings.

Casper- I totally agree with you about after 3/4/5 months you no longer crave the bad stuff. I love the food I am eating now, the other bad stuff doesn't appeal to me at all.

It's funny when I started I ate a lot of processed foods, now I try to eat clean. That's very important to me and the way it makes me feel.
  • ivykivy
    ivykivy Posts: 2,970 Member
    Options
    You are correct. I hear people say eat 3 small meals 3 snacks which is all fine and good. It is a healthy habit to develop to get you in the habit of eating especially if you are used to eating one or two meals. But even to keep your blood sugar steady 6 small meals are not required 4may be better or even 3 depending on what you ate, your activity after you ate, etc.
    Your energy requirements can never be predicted from moment to moment or even day to day. There are just too many variables- ovulation in women, infection, heat or cold, etc. What we do is work with averages. That is why one binge will not kill your efforts physically; psychologically is another issue.

ok, I get this but it begs another question.

So i eat 900 calories at one meal and my body can't process all of it so some gets stored as fat. That stored fat is not going to be reflected by a tape measurer. I'm assuming this is true because, with the exception of an extended belly, you generally don't see your hips or thighs get instantly bigger within hours of eating a meal that contains more energy than you need. In fact, as i understand it, that energy gets stored as glycogen for now. However, later that day I eat 300 calories and about an hour later head to gym where I do a 60 minute cardio workout that burns 600 calories followed by a strength training workout. Once I depleted that 300 calories, wouldn't my body dip into that stored fat?

Even if I did my workout that morning. I started on 300 calories, burned 600 so I had to burn stored fat, which was then replenished by my larger meal. Again, if I stored less than I burned, I lose weight.

At the end of the day, I ate 1500 calories (300 breakfast, 900 lunch, 300 dinner) and with a RMR of 1300 and an exercise burn of say 600 I still have a deficit for the day of 300 to 500 calories, depending on activity level. So, bottom line is that I stored some fat temporarily but then burned more than I stored and i should be losing weight.

So, wouldn't that work for a week? I stored some extra fat due to a binge day but had a deficit for the next 6 days. Wouldn't I burn off what I stored as long as my binge calories don't exceed my weekly deficit? And if I'm burning more than I stored, then I'll lose weight. It still comes down to net/net doesn't it?

Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong but anecdotal evidence suggests that people tend to eat/store energy inconsistently. Most of the world does not eat small meals 6 times a day. Despite that inconsistency they manage to lose/maintain weight.

Not saying you're wrong or trying to argue. Just want to understand since I'm trying to break through what I consider to be my "set point" (yes, I know the theory was debunked some time ago but is seems to apply to my particular problem) right now.
  • BrendaLee
    BrendaLee Posts: 4,463 Member
    Options
    Here's the thing very few people realize.

how many calories we eat total is important but how many calories we eat IN ONE SITTING is very important also.

remember, the body can process only so many calories at one time, if you eat more than your body can process, they are STORED AS FAT!!!!!!!

this means even if you eat within your calorie limits for a day, if you eat it all at once, you're probably going to be adding fat to your frame.

as an example:

your daily alottment is say 1500 calories, and you have a small breakfast of say 300 calories, then at lunch you eat 900 calories, then at dinner you eat 300 more.

sounds ok right? Wrong! eating 900 calories (the type of calorie matters as well, foods that take a long time to digest help keep your body fueled instead of packing on fat) in one sitting is most likely more than your body can handle, say your body can do 500 max at one time, that extra 400 calories is going to be stored as fat. And as we all know, it takes a lot more effort to get rid of fat, than it does to get rid of calories that we've just eaten.

So that giant binge day, that's a killer to a diet! A much better option is a single meal that's over your calories, that can help kick start a sluggish metabolism sometimes, but that doesn't mean going over by thousands of calories, it just means adding a couple hundred calories to a single meal, maybe once or twice a month or so.

This makes sense. It's easy to think of calories as a running daily total or a running weekly total, but really each time we eat, our body has to decide what to do with those calories.
  • terence
    terence Posts: 119
    Options
    This is all really interesting and helpful guys. Thanks.
  • xsargex
    xsargex Posts: 768
    Options
    Whether you lose weight or not, you're asking to gain it all back when you stop dieting because you're not training yourself to live a healthy lifestyle. The reason so many people here preach moderation, even on "cheat" days, is because it is a way to retrain your body to not want unhealthy foods in excess. JMO.

P.S. Hi sarge!

hi
  • arewethereyet
    arewethereyet Posts: 18,702 Member
    Options
    All I can say is this on the subject:

I ate 900 calories for dinner, including pizza and a fat slice of NY cheesecake and I feel like crap.

My heart is pounding. I cannot sleep. I think my body is saying. WTH were you thinking.........I can not POSSIbly distribute this fuel (and that is what food is, no?) so now I must find a place to dump it.

I dont expect to pours 30 gallons of gas into my 20 gallon tank in my car and have it for extra the next day. I just over flows.

I wish I had a pressure valve:laugh: :laugh:

OMG that stress eating was so not worth it.
  • foxyforce
    foxyforce Posts: 3,078 Member
    Options
    i love the title of this, because i went to Metro today, bought Betty Crocker Fudge Mix and Duncan Hines frosting

and made brownies

and ate 1/4 of the tray...probably more, but my log doesn't need to know!

and it felt GOOD!!!
  • Euphonasia
    Euphonasia Posts: 136
    Options
    This may just be me, but I've noticed a trend. If I spend an entire day binging on food that's terrible for me, I'll think to myself "Well, I'll go back onto my diet tomorrow....." and I think that the next day after I've overeaten as well. And the day following. And the day after that. It's a hard habit to break out of.

I guess from my perspective, there's nothing wrong with having the occasional treat. Nothing at all. But spending an entire day eating your guts out is akin to reverting to the bad habits that got you where you are in the first place. Try to build healthy habits. Don't let yourself grossly overeat like that. It's reinforcing old habits that probably weren't healthy to begin with.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options
    Banks:

So i eat 900 calories at one meal and my body can't process all of it so some gets stored as fat. That stored fat is not going to be reflected by a tape measurer. I'm assuming this is true because, with the exception of an extended belly, you generally don't see your hips or thighs get instantly bigger within hours of eating a meal that contains more energy than you need. In fact, as i understand it, that energy gets stored as glycogen for now. However, later that day I eat 300 calories and about an hour later head to gym where I do a 60 minute cardio workout that burns 600 calories followed by a strength training workout. Once I depleted that 300 calories, wouldn't my body dip into that stored fat?

Even if I did my workout that morning. I started on 300 calories, burned 600 so I had to burn stored fat, which was then replenished by my larger meal. Again, if I stored less than I burned, I lose weight.

At the end of the day, I ate 1500 calories (300 breakfast, 900 lunch, 300 dinner) and with a RMR of 1300 and an exercise burn of say 600 I still have a deficit for the day of 300 to 500 calories, depending on activity level. So, bottom line is that I stored some fat temporarily but then burned more than I stored and i should be losing weight.

So, wouldn't that work for a week? I stored some extra fat due to a binge day but had a deficit for the next 6 days. Wouldn't I burn off what I stored as long as my binge calories don't exceed my weekly deficit? And if I'm burning more than I stored, then I'll lose weight. It still comes down to net/net doesn't it?

Maybe I'm just looking at this wrong but anecdotal evidence suggests that people tend to eat/store energy inconsistently. Most of the world does not eat small meals 6 times a day. Despite that inconsistency they manage to lose/maintain weight.

Not saying you're wrong or trying to argue. Just want to understand since I'm trying to break through what I consider to be my "set point" (yes, I know the theory was debunked some time agobut is seems to apply to my particular problem) right now.

this is gonna get a bit technical, but I'll try to keep it as simple as I can for those of us who don't have a firm grip on the inner workings of our body.

In a perfect world this would be how it would work.

Unfortunately our bodies don't work like a straight causality machine. What you have to take into account is the idea that our body doesn't just take in the food, process it and expel waste. It (passively) takes all the things that you do into account and it also takes energy from where ever it needs it and where it can get it fastest.

So when doing the calculations (and obviously this is theoretical, there's really no way for even doctors to tell exactly where you are deriving all your energy) you must factor in the concept of use of proteins as a secondary fuel source and slow digesting foods as a fuel source also. So while some of those extra calories (many, in fact) that you need come from the fat you just stored, some also comes from lean tissue, and bone. There is always some degree of muscle loss in humans, how much depends on how often, and for how long, and how hard the particular muscle in question is being used.

Remember, muscle is always very close to the blood supply, it has to be, that's how muscles are "fed". Fat on the other hand, doesn't need a ready supply of blood which is why it's stored in the out of place area's it is. So when the body sends out the chemicals saying it needs fuel (lactic acid, insulin, and cortosol among others) the body responds by grabbing first digested food in the form of glycogen from the liver and blood, then it looks for alternate fuel sources, fat is the major one, and yes, a large percentage comes from fat, but also amino acids are broken down too. Because what ever fuel source the body thinks it can break down fastest, it will use, if the fat is far from the blood, it takes a while to pull the fat, get it to the liver, break it down, and put it back into the blood as glycogen, if that takes longer than pulling amino acids and breaking them down, guess who wins!

this all factors in to why we say to keep doing strength training while trying to lose weight, active muscles don't release protein up to the body as easilly, and force the body to use fat.

One other tid bit to remember about this is that, while you are doing this kind of eating, you are basically keeping older fat stores right where they are. Remember, it's harder to burn fat than to burn glucose, so it takes longer, giving the body more of a chance to slow down and not burn older fat. So when you binge , you are helping to keep the old fat (any fat that wasn't just put on) hanging around.

A lot of people either tend to forget the important roll protein metabolism plays, or just plain don't know about it. It's a big factor in how fit we become.
  • xsargex
    Options
    Banks:

Not saying you're wrong or trying to argue. Just want to understand since I'm trying to break through what I consider to be my "set point" (yes, I know the theory was debunked some time agobut is seems to apply to my particular problem) right now.

this is gonna get a bit technical, but I'll try to keep it as simple as I can for those of us who don't have a firm grip on the inner workings of our body.

In a perfect world this would be how it would work.

Unfortunately our bodies don't work like a straight causality machine. What you have to take into account is the idea that our body doesn't just take in the food, process it and expel waste. It (passively) takes all the things that you do into account and it also takes energy from where ever it needs it and where it can get it fastest.

So when doing the calculations (and obviously this is theoretical, there's really no way for even doctors to tell exactly where you are deriving all your energy) you must factor in the concept of use of proteins as a secondary fuel source and slow digesting foods as a fuel source also. So while some of those extra calories (many, in fact) that you need come from the fat you just stored, some also comes from lean tissue, and bone. There is always some degree of muscle loss in humans, how much depends on how often, and for how long, and how hard the particular muscle in question is being used.

Remember, muscle is always very close to the blood supply, it has to be, that's how muscles are "fed". Fat on the other hand, doesn't need a ready supply of blood which is why it's stored in the out of place area's it is. So when the body sends out the chemicals saying it needs fuel (lactic acid, insulin, and cortosol among others) the body responds by grabbing first digested food in the form of glycogen from the liver and blood, then it looks for alternate fuel sources, fat is the major one, and yes, a large percentage comes from fat, but also amino acids are broken down too. Because what ever fuel source the body thinks it can break down fastest, it will use, if the fat is far from the blood, it takes a while to pull the fat, get it to the liver, break it down, and put it back into the blood as glycogen, if that takes longer than pulling amino acids and breaking them down, guess who wins!

this all factors in to why we say to keep doing strength training while trying to lose weight, active muscles don't release protein up to the body as easilly, and force the body to use fat.

One other tid bit to remember about this is that, while you are doing this kind of eating, you are basically keeping older fat stores right where they are. Remember, it's harder to burn fat than to burn glucose, so it takes longer, giving the body more of a chance to slow down and not burn older fat. So when you binge , you are helping to keep the old fat (any fat that wasn't just put on) hanging around.

A lot of people either tend to forget the important roll protein metabolism plays, or just plain don't know about it. It's a big factor in how fit we become.

so your saying its not the cartoons.... the food nose-dives straight into your stomach, making that whistling noise. Then drops outta your *kitten*? weird.
  • JoyousMaximus
    JoyousMaximus Posts: 9,285 Member
    Options

so your saying its not the cartoons.... the food nose-dives straight into your stomach, making that whistling noise. Then drops outta your *kitten*? weird.

:laugh: That was disturbing and hilarious mental image.
  • SHBoss1673
    SHBoss1673 Posts: 7,161 Member
    Options

Hehe, I have absolutely no response to this. :ohwell:
  • xsargex
    Options
    Nobody wants to touch this? I take that as a no? :huh:
  • lessertess
    lessertess Posts: 855 Member
    Options
    Banks,

Thanks for the insight. I guess it makes sense but its also a little frustrating. I'm down to that "old fat" and it does not want to go away no matter how much I exercise and stay within my calories. I don't really binge, but I've grown tired of eating six small meal/snacks a day and would prefer to eat fewer but larger meals.

Since neither method seems to be working...not sure what I'll do next. :grumble:
  • xsargex
    Options
    Banks,

Thanks for the insight. I guess it makes sense but its also a little frustrating. I'm down to that "old fat" and it does not want to go away no matter how much I exercise and stay within my calories. I don't really binge, but I've grown tired of eating six small meal/snacks a day and would prefer to eat fewer but larger meals.

Since neither method seems to be working...not sure what I'll do next. :grumble:

Its all about taking the time to cook and discover new meals. I get in these moods where I get lazy and I don't want to cook. So I just eat sandwiches and tuna all the time. It gets old. Real quick. You gotta switch it up now and then. The trick for me is.... making dinner, making extra for the next day, but not being tempted to increase my portions, because of the leftovers. You know what I mean? But its great to have leftovers for the next day, so that at work I'm not tempted to eat junk food.

I try to find ways that get me excited to eat and eat new things. My wife and I watch alot of Food Net work and cooking shows...pick up little tips. You know, search the internet for healthy recipes. PUt our own flare to it. There's nothing wrong with getting excited to eat! I get so sick and tired of people torturing themselves like food is the ultimate evil. Its such bullsh!t. Find healthy ways and go to town.
    Believe me, in the long run... it'll be way more beneficial and keep you from wanting to give in or give up.
  • CasperO
    CasperO Posts: 2,913 Member
    Options
    Same here Sarge,,, we are Alton Brown's biggest fan, and we love to cook and we love to eat.

We just changed our focus. Used to eat enormous quantities of mediocre food. Now we eat reasonable quantities of very good food. Quality over quantity. A different kind of enjoyment and satisfaction, but satisfying none the less... :smile:
  • czewwhat
    czewwhat Posts: 8,715
    Options
    I always knew you wer a quality first guy!
  • azwildcatfan94
    azwildcatfan94 Posts: 314 Member
    Options
    Another thing to consider, is how will a big binge effect you psychologically? I know we all react differently, so we each need to pay attention to what binging will do to us. For me, if I eat foods with a lot of refined sugar, I will be very happy at the time, but the next day, I will crave more refined sugar. After a while, when I decide to "be good" again, I have to go through withdrawls that are painful... Similar to quitting tobacco. If I ate a lot of calories, I will want more calories the next day. So, for me, it is better to minimize the "cheats." I am human, and I do eat them, but, I always seem to pay for them later. So again, I try to minimize them and remind myself before eating a treat, what that response will be.
  • xsargex
    Options
    Another thing to consider, is how will a big binge effect you psychologically? I know we all react differently, so we each need to pay attention to what binging will do to us. For me, if I eat foods with a lot of refined sugar, I will be very happy at the time, but the next day, I will crave more refined sugar. After a while, when I decide to "be good" again, I have to go through withdrawls that are painful... Similar to quitting tobacco. If I ate a lot of calories, I will want more calories the next day. So, for me, it is better to minimize the "cheats." I am human, and I do eat them, but, I always seem to pay for them later. So again, I try to minimize them and remind myself before eating a treat, what that response will be.

I agree. Alot of the times, I think psycholocially, we let ourselves get the best of us; either when it comes to eating or even working out. That we let the physical hurdle challenges overcome us and lead to failure. Or playing the numbers game to the point that we miss a goal by a few pounds or calories... we give up. Even worse, we let a meal or a binge completely unmotivate our routine. Sometimes its simple as chalking up a loss and moving on, or atleast just staying on track. I know for me... when I give-in or screw up, I tend to let it slide for a few more days of failures. I can't do that.

Alot of making goals and sticking to them, is about understanding and acknowledge your own weaknesses. What your made of. I think there is a fair balance between setting goals that are way to lax....and way to overboard. All that comes from trial and error, unfortunately. But thats what can make it fun....if you make it fun; not work all the time.

If you think a "binge" will honestly set you up for success. Then do it. Nobody here is going to be an expert for you. If you think even one "binge" is enough to sabatoge the rest of your life, then be that extreme. In the end, don't fool yourself.