Help! My 2 year old neice is coming over!!

Options

Replies

• jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    If you get juice - get juice that isn't darkly colored (grape juice) make sure you have a cup with a lid. Pretty much any food that is small enough for her to hold in her hand will be good. What did her parents say about what she likes to snack on? Cheese, crackers, grapes, bananas, yogurt were favorites in our house when the kids were that age.

Before I pretty much cut out the juice, (except for lunches) I watered down all the juices...now my kid loves water...cold from the fridge.
  • jodycoady
    jodycoady Posts: 598 Member
    Options
    Also, don't give her anything salty. I cringe when I see parents give their young kids cheezies...they are LOADED with salt.
  • sun33082
    sun33082 Posts: 416 Member
    Options
    Why do adults think they have to feed kids something different from what they eat? Kids don't need crackers, cookies, sugary yogurt, etc. They need healthy balanced meals just like adults do.
  • Will_Lift_4_Shoes
    Will_Lift_4_Shoes Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    Feed her what you are eating. I have 5 kids and we all eat the same thing. Peanut butter and Jelly is popular for kids. My son will eat about 2 - 3 sandwiches a day--He's 3 so they do that. You can cut up apples and serve with peanut butter. Kids love rice and chicken and green trees aka broccoli. Breakfast can be yummy oatmeal with fruit or scrambled eggs with turkey bacon. While PB&J may not be the best (higher in sugar) it is still packed with protein and on wheat bread it is a good snack for kids.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    You may want to ask her parents what foods she likes/ doesn't like :) they probably know

This, especially because there are certain foods that parents don't want their kids to have.
  • jmbedilion
    Options
    My daughter loves bananas, apples, dried fruit trail mixes, raisins, wheat thins, cheese sticks and cereal.
  • meg7399
    meg7399 Posts: 672 Member
    Options
    Gogurts, fruit snacks and cheese sticks. My kids love those!
    My step daughter LIVES on these three items!! Throw in peanut butter crackers and cereal and you have her daily routine!!!
  • lisag2007
    lisag2007 Posts: 130
    Options
    Toast! My son is almost two and he loves toast. LOL And strawberries, blueberry greek yogurt. And those Nutri grain cereal bars. Oh...and mac and cheese too.
  • DietingMommy08
    DietingMommy08 Posts: 1,366 Member
    Options
    Peanut butter, bread, capri sun water (tastes like juice, but it is really water), spaghetti sauce and noodles

I love the capri sun water. I always pack it in my sons lunch for school. :o)

Yea basically what everybody else has already said... My son loves waffles and cereal bars, cherrios in a zip log bag, cut up fruit, chicken, bananas.... The basics.

The easiest thing for you to do is just ask her mom.
  • missykm7
    missykm7 Posts: 42
    Options
    apples and peanut butter (or nutella), string cheese, bananas, Gogurt, jello.....mmm...I'm hungry
  • kalynn06
    kalynn06 Posts: 368 Member
    Options
    I agree with asking her parents. I have my 2 yo niece a lot, and she eats hard boiled eggs, cheese (only white or only yellow depending on the day), chicken soup, grapes, apples, cherry tomatoes, bananas, cheerios, pistachios, almonds, turkey, peanut butter with fruit, pudding, chocolate milk etc. Most of the time, she'll eat what I eat.

She also won't touch bread, jelly or yogurt with fruit on the bottom. And her system does not tolerate apple juice (though she loves it). Like adults, kids have different. food likes/dislikes and issues
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    What do the little ones eat these days?
    Depends how well educated their parents are...

I'd find out whether she has any medically confirmed allergies, and whether there are any foods that she has a strong dislike for, and apart from that, give her whatever you're eating yourself.

Teaching kids that they need "special" food sets up a lifetime of unhealthy eating habits, and makes a real rod for your back with having to cook separate meals.
  • RachelsReboot
    RachelsReboot Posts: 569 Member
    Options
    When my kids were that age they would eat anything I did as long as they had some "dip it" aka ketchup, mustard, ranch, yogurt, bbq, syrup, applesauce, or anything else they could dip their food in LOL
  • novelty79
    novelty79 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    My son is almost 3 as well. He is a pretty good eater but mac and cheese is always my go to when he is being picky. Also a quesadilla with black beans, cheese, and maybe some avocado is always a hit. Other than that, bite sized fruit for snacks, yogurt, and applesauce are good too. Have fun with your niece!
  • HodderAL
    HodderAL Posts: 358 Member
    Options
    Feed her what you are eating. I have 5 kids and we all eat the same thing. Peanut butter and Jelly is popular for kids. My son will eat about 2 - 3 sandwiches a day--He's 3 so they do that. You can cut up apples and serve with peanut butter. Kids love rice and chicken and green trees aka broccoli. Breakfast can be yummy oatmeal with fruit or scrambled eggs with turkey bacon. While PB&J may not be the best (higher in sugar) it is still packed with protein and on wheat bread it is a good snack for kids.

Hahaha! My youngest calls broccoli trees too!! And he loves his trees :happy:

I also agree with everyone else, my children eat what we eat. I don't make a different meal for them, and they don't live on nuggets, burgers and french fries. For meals, they eat rice, sweet potato fries, salmon, pork... whatever we have, just in smaller portions.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    my grand daughters love the flavored yogurts and fresh strawberries and also the litlle cherry tomatoes
  • KharismaticKayteh
    KharismaticKayteh Posts: 322 Member
    Options
    I was twelve when my niece was two, so I wasn't babysitting at that point. =/. Maybe yogurt?
  • JennW130
    JennW130 Posts: 460 Member
    Options
    I have a 2 year old niece. I make sure to have some gold fish or animal crackers. Other than that I give her bananas or other fresh fruit, as for meals, she eats what I eat- just in smaller portions. My niece isn't a terribly picky eater either, so fruits and veggies are always a good choice.

As far as drinks go- I give her either water, a little juice cut with water, or milk (but that is only at meals)

As long she doesn't have any food allergies, pretty much anything that they can chew, not choke on, and is healthy is a pretty safe bet!!

this is pretty much what i do with my kids, who are 4 yrs old and 20 months.
  • _ylime_
    _ylime_ Posts: 661 Member
    Options

Hahaha! My youngest calls broccoli trees too!! And he loves his trees :happy:

I also agree with everyone else, my children eat what we eat. I don't make a different meal for them, and they don't live on nuggets, burgers and french fries. For meals, they eat rice, sweet potato fries, salmon, pork... whatever we have, just in smaller portions.

:laugh: my 26 yro boyfriend still calls them trees... :laugh:

We don't have kids, but when we watch our friends kiddos we typically feed them anything we are eating (they want what you are having even if they have something "special") and stock up on fruit... they also seem to like the baby carrots (cut in half with some Peanut butter (I use PB2). Have fun!
  • alliecat934
    Options
    Tyson chicken fries are a great meal for young children, we currently have my 3rd cousins, which are 2 year old twins, visiting us, and the Tyson chicken fries were a huge hit with the little ones. Caution, the sticks are usually 3 1/2 to 4 inches long, so for the young kids, it is a smart idea to cut them into a bit smaller pieces. Also mix in healthier foods, like smoothies. Mix a lot of bold color fruits in and a couple vegetables, the color of the fruits takes away any vegetable color.