Devil's advocate: 1200 calories for petite/short women?

Options

Replies

• momof8munchkins
    momof8munchkins Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and a lot more weight to loose.. according to my MFP my goal should be about 1700 a day . I have my goal set at 1900 so that I can focus on healthy eating. what I find very interesting is when I count calories or set my goal to low. say 1400. I stay hungry all the time and can never stay under my goal.. when I don't think about it and just eat when i'm hungry and stop when I'm satisfied I naturally come in somewhere between 1200-1400 some days I'm under 1000 and not hungry at all....
  • love4fitnesslove4food_wechange
    Options
    I'm 4'9 and 97 lbs, I eat roughly 1000-1200 calories a day if I'm hungry. When I'm not that hungry, I eat a lot less. I have literally gone a day or two without eating, because I just didn't think about it. To be honest, I wouldn't be on here if I didn't have kids, I almost done losing my baby weight.

wow--not sure how you survive but i would surely recommend eating more!
  • Dremak1
    Dremak1 Posts: 18
    Options
    I am 4'11" - I find it diffcult - when I am eating healthy to even eat 1200 calories per day. I exercise every day except for the past few as I have been sick. The only time I have trouble sticking to 1200 calories is when we eat out or eat processed foods. I havent lost weight yet however it is because of a recently discovered thyroid issue. Per my doctor once the meds kick in - I should start losing 1 to 2 punds per week given my current eating and exercise plan.
  • Mist1981
    Mist1981 Posts: 145
    Options
    I'm 4'9 and 97 lbs, I eat roughly 1000-1200 calories a day if I'm hungry. When I'm not that hungry, I eat a lot less. I have literally gone a day or two without eating, because I just didn't think about it. To be honest, I wouldn't be on here if I didn't have kids, I almost done losing my baby weight.

Not sure how you had energy to function or take care of the kiddos. Curious how you could "forget" to eat, especially while feeding the kiddos. I would really increase your calories. Set a reminder on your phone if you have to!
  • Jellyphant
    Jellyphant Posts: 1,400 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" which is the top consideration for petite.
    I eat 1550 calories and I can't imagine eating 1200 since it leaves me hungry all day. I've lost more weight by eating at 1550 cals
    Also, I mostly do strength training (heavy lifting) so I know I'd be a cranky person if I stuck to 1200
    I'm the exact way; 5'4" at 1550. I probably COULD do 1200 cals, since I really dont eat much for a fat girl, which makes me wonder why I'm fat at all.. :grumble:, buuuut I'd probably end up slapping someone from being grumpy.
  • chevy88grl
    chevy88grl Posts: 3,937 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'4" - so not overly short, but definitely not tall either. lol. There's no possible way I could survive on 1200 calories a day. I'm easily maintaining on double that each day, so I know that trying to cut it in half? Well, that would turn me into a raving, starving, threatening to eat small children and neighborhood animals lunatic. ;) It has to do with more than just your height. How active are you? That is a crucial part of the equation.
  • qtiekiki
    qtiekiki Posts: 1,490 Member
    Options
    1200 calories might be enough if you have some weight to lose. I am 5'3" and 108lbs, and I lose weight when I eat 1200 calories. So that tells me 1200 calories is too low to maintain my weight. MFP has my maintenance at 1460, but I eat over that many days with an average closer to 1700-1800. And you know what, I am still maintaining.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options

wow--not sure how you survive but i would surely recommend eating more!

No idea, I've literally been eating this way my whole life, except during my pregancies. And I'm not stick thin or ever had a bad doctor's visit. I'm not recommending this at all, it's just me.
  • jessbb23
    jessbb23 Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I'm only 4'9" and I do eat 1200 calories a day.....At least I try to. I eat breakfast, lunch, snack, dinner and snack. I rarely ever feel hungry at the end of the day. I have been trying to exercise at work (20 min after lunch) 3 times a week burning about 200 calories each time. When I first started MFP I had it in my head I needed to eat less then my daily allowance so I was only eating 900-1000. Now I'm up to 1150-1200 each day. I'm eating healthier foods then before so the calories are lower. I think as I start to work out more I will eat a little more to give my body energy, but right now I'm good at 1200.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I am 5'1 and have about 30 lbs to lose...it is hard for me to stay at 1200...I recently upped it to 1300 and feels so much better. I have energy and i'm not as cranky anymore. I haven't seen any significant weight loss (bouncing 3 lbs up and down) but hoping this higher intake will boost my metabolism like so many people on here say it will.

100 calories is NOT going to boost your metabolism. it's rather negligible.

If 100 makes no difference, then how could 200 or 300? They are all just 100 more than the other.
  • Shamrock_me
    Shamrock_me Posts: 161
    Options
    I'm 5'4" and 57. Plus I am not a huge fan of working out. So keeping to 1200 - 1350 calories is optimal for me. That said, it requires that I make mostly good food choices--making each calorie count. I sometimes wish MFP would allow you to track more micronutrients to see how I stand on some of those. I track calcium and iron, and know I far exceed recommended allowances for vitamins A and C. But the rest is a mystery.

I totally agree. When you make the right food choices (fresh veggies, fish, some fresh fruits, chicken, turkey) and not prepared meals (lean cuisine, smart ones, etc) 1200 can get to be a LOT more. When I look at quantity over cheesey saucey gooey, I tend to stay more on track and fuller longer. Sometimes I get to dinner and I'm stuffed. I snack on dry cereals for a little extra through the day but I drag it out all day long. I'm a natural 'nibbler'. I cook on Sundays and make enough for all week. Freeze some of the higher perishable for Thursday - Saturday lunch / snack meals. I keep it simple, losing weight is complicated enough. ;o)
  • tinamina78
    tinamina78 Posts: 241 Member
    Options
    I'm 4'11 and sedentary or not I wouldn't eat 1200 calories. that's only slightly more than i ate with an eating disorder. not okay.

I'm also 4'11 and was ALWAYS hungry with 1200 calories. Started researching and even when I get to my goal of 115, and add in no exercise as a lifestyle (just to see) the general consensus is that maintenance is around 1430. I just don't see 1200 calories being that healthy unless you are truly tiny (like under 100 pounds and under 5') and not very active.

Here's a useful calculator you can use to play around with the numbers. It allows you to pick which formula you want to use also (Mifflin-St Jeor, Katch-McCardle or Harris-Benedict). It's pretty interesting.

www.freedieting.com/tools/calorie_calculator.htm
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    5'3"
    123 lbs
    losing weight on 1600 per day (without exercise)
    1800+ on exercise days.
  • A1ladya
    A1ladya Posts: 9
    Options
    I am 5ft and have lost a total of 18lbs in one years time. I just read on one of the blogs that eating your excersize calories is very important for weight loss. I totally agree with that theory. You should search this topic "why eating your excersize calories is so important." and read on. Very helpful information.
  • tinana_RN
    tinana_RN Posts: 541 Member
    Options
    For me personally, living FOREVER at 1200 calories doesn't sound very sustainable.
  • Elen_Sia
    Elen_Sia Posts: 638 Member
    Options
    I'm 5'1 and 108 lbs. I cannot survive on 1200 calories a day with the intensity of my workouts 4 times a week. On non-workout days, I eat very close to 1588 calories. On workout days, I eat between 2000 and 2200 calories.
  • Victoria2448
    Victoria2448 Posts: 559 Member
    Options
    When I am figuring a basic calorie amount for my clients I go by their WEIGHT and activity level. Then we tweak from there...according to how their body responds.
  • bluberrygoo
    bluberrygoo Posts: 222 Member
    Options

Not sure how you had energy to function or take care of the kiddos. Curious how you could "forget" to eat, especially while feeding the kiddos. I would really increase your calories. Set a reminder on your phone if you have to!

Idk, but I have energy, cleaning, playing with my boys, exercising... When the kids eat I'm cleaning, and throughout the day I'm still cleaning, playing, changing diapers, stopping fights, cuddling, going to play groups, I'm busy. I eat most the time, especially at dinner when the whole family sits to eat.
  • jching29
    jching29 Posts: 163
    Options
    Well...I read a lot of women who say they can't survive on "only" 1200 calories a day, but honestly, even when I feel like I'm binging (say, like yesterday) I still come up at 50 calories below my goal. Usually I'm short about 200. I've never really eaten that much and joining MFP really hasn't changed that. It's just changed how many veggies and fruits I consume ^w^
  • megmay2591
    megmay2591 Posts: 621 Member
    Options
    I'm not as short as some people, but I'm 5'4" and I find that 1200 is way way too little for me. The best way to determine how many calories you need is your TDEE. If you're working out everyday you definitely need to net more than 1200, think of all the energy you are using! I eat 1650 net, and I pretty much eat as much as I want on days I weight train.