This post is for women on birth control and trying to lose w

Options
13»

Replies

• kperk91
    kperk91 Posts: 226 Member
    Options
    My birth control hasn't affected my weight loss and mine is going to be a slow process because I don't have much to lose.
    But I agree with the hormones changing since some can cause weight retention or gain. Every body is different and reacts different and I've heard from many that the pill can slow their weight loss efforts.

I'd just keep up with what you've been doing - eating right and exercising but also get the 8 glasses of water a day (at least). Water has helped me not see a pound fluctuation
  • Sal4kids00
    Sal4kids00 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    Generic Yaz, no problems now (and it evens out the premenstrual crazy that usually results in the death of small chocolate creatures). I think they've changed it since last time I was on the generic, because it did make me gain a few lbs a few years ago. But that could also have been because I wasn't working out, was eating like garbage.

And someone else made a comment before about whatever the negligible weight gain was being better than the weight you'd gain during an unplanned pregnancy, and to that I say AMEN.

Hahaha very true...
  • spectralmoon
    spectralmoon Posts: 1,230 Member
    Options
    I have the fluctuating weight at the start of a new pack. I'm on Ortho TriCyclin Lo.

It's weird to me that this causes some retention but I have none of that noise during TOM.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Pregnancy will make you gain a lot more than the pill. Just sayin'.
  • Corynec
    Corynec Posts: 1
    Options
    I agree with Sarah! Slow and steady. You are doing great! High dose pills have higher levels of estrogen which do have a tendency to generate more fat in the stomach, possibly decrease metabolism and increase cravings. I would suggest something low like loestrin. Also, even off the pill women have a tendency to lose the most amount of weight right after their period after their body has cleansed and drained of all the bloating. Make sure you are drinking enough water, green tea and doing workouts that will increase your burn steadily throughout the month - no matter what the hormone level is! Good luck!
  • Juliet_622
    Juliet_622 Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    When I started my BC awhile ago for hormonal reasons (Diane35), I didn't gain any weight right off the bat. I did eventually gain, but I attribute that to poor food choices and not enough exercise.

A friend of mine was on the same pill and told me that when she went off of it, she dropped 10lbs right away. I decided to try it, and I gained 10lbs quickly (while eating and exercise habits were the same). Like other's are saying, the pill works differently from one person to the next! But I sure wouldn't want to be pregnant!!
  • nrsloat
    nrsloat Posts: 5 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying Yaz or the generic version of it. Many of the birth control pills can cause water retention but Yaz has a diuretic effect so you don't retain water. Just be aware that if you take it at night you may be getting up to pee!
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I take the depo and I gained about 35 lbs :( Im still on it but with diet and working my butt of at the gym it is slowly coming off but bc makes you body pretty much think your about 2 months prego so it does make you wanna eat and it's easier to gain weight!
    ^^
    This.
    I deop and I did gain some weight, I thought it was hormonal or something tuntill my doctor explained that my body things I'm pregnangt so my appetite is whats in creased. so I switched to healthy snacks and more water and the weight is coming off.

So I don't think the shot makes you gain weight like some people say, I think it just increases your appetite, if you know it's gonna happen and plan for it you'll be fine. I am hoping I can lose all the weight without giving up my beloved shot.

Me too!!!! I love the shot!!! I never forget it and it's one little prick once every 3 months!!!
  • valenief
    valenief Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    also if you take the amount of calcium your suppose to you will not have the bone loss.
  • Sal4kids00
    Sal4kids00 Posts: 22 Member
    Options
    I would suggest trying Yaz or the generic version of it. Many of the birth control pills can cause water retention but Yaz has a diuretic effect so you don't retain water. Just be aware that if you take it at night you may be getting up to pee!

Thank you! I will bring that up to my doctor :)
  • bf43285
    bf43285 Posts: 43 Member
    Options
    I've been on depo on and off for 10 years and I have not gained weight. It does not make me hungrier either. I struggle to eat above 1400 calories a day. I'm sure it is making me retain some water weight but the most my doctor can account since I've been on it is 5 pounds. I'm sure it is not making my new weight loss journey easy but having a child would not either. I personally take depo because it makes me not having periods which drained my iron levels and gave me cramps so bad I was missing work/school.
  • nvouvalis
    nvouvalis Posts: 21
    Options
    I've been on depo for about ten years now. I'd be weary of a doctor who tells you that depo causes you to eat more because it's tricking your body into thinking that its pregnant. The latter part of that statement is true: depo works by putting your hormones at a level that they are at while pregnant, which ceases ovulation. It does not, however, make you eat more. You eat more during pregnancy because the baby is taking nutrients and vitamins and the like that would have ordinarily been going to you. Depo does not take nutrients (though it does require more calcium then you might ordinarily take).

Which isn't to say you won't gain weight from depo. My sister and I got on it at exactly the same time, and she gained about ten pounds (she also stopped playing sports at the same time, so I'm not comfortable attributing her gain to the shot), and I lost five. Hormonal changes can cause weight changes... but I promise, the depo shot is not making tummies rumble.
  • pingash
    pingash Posts: 12
    Options
    Ive been on Lutera for 3 years and it doesn't seem to affect me.
  • eissak
    eissak Posts: 54 Member
    Options
    Depo caused me to gain weight like whoa, made me crazy emotional and completely killed all sex drive I had. Talk about effective birth control!! It did NOT do well with my hormones. Then it took 6 months to level back out after I stopped it.

Switched to Lutera after that and haven't had any real problems, been on it about 4 years now. I do notice the weight loss the most while taking the inactives, but I still lose about .5 during the other 3 weeks. I try to drink a ton of water to even out the water retention from the pill.