Anti-Depressants- How I Gained My Weight

Options
When I was 19, I was looking good at 135lbs, flat tummy and all. Suddenly I was hit with a curveball- a bad, heartbreaking break up that consisted of moving out. Since I had always suffered from anxiety, and medication was in contemplation in the past anyway, I went on anti-depressants. MISTAKE! I immediately gained 20lbs. I'm talking within a month or 2! I faught the weight gain as much as I could, but nothing ever happened. I will say that I certainly wasn't as motivated as I am now. I finally went off of them last June and dropped about 5lbs in a few months without doing anything. I always told myself that I NEED to lose this weight. I'm sick of it. But I never had the motivation. Not even for my wedding! So now here I am, motivated and 14lbs down! Never again will I go on anti-depressants.

I will say that guys SUCK! My husband just went on them about 6 months ago and didn't gain one pound! He eats fast food like no other and even had chocolate iced donuts for breakfast yesterday and doesn't gain anything.... Whatever.

Replies

• Scorpioangel
    Scorpioangel Posts: 951 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this because my Dr. put me on Celexa a few years back and around that same time I started putting on more and more weight even though my activity and workouts were not changing. It was crazy! What were you on if you don't mind me asking? I totally agree with you though - they make you gain weight and you can't even do anything about it.... It sucks!
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    Everyone seems to react differently to these meds. I personally had a very similar experience. I started on celexa after a breakup...but I was also down for a number of years prior. I lost 5lbs in the 1st month and kept it off for 6! I was so happy. Then around the 6 month mark I managed to gain more than 20lbs and through changing my diet and exercising a ton more I have not been able to lose any of it! None!!! Lose 2 or 3 lbs gain 4 and so on...

Anyway I'm now stopping celexa (under doctor supervision) Fingers crossed.

***In my personal and professional opinion, mental health is very important. I don't recommend stopping antidepressants without talking to a doctor first. There can be very serious problems associated with stopping anti depressants including severe rebound depression. ****
  • katielauren2001
    katielauren2001 Posts: 171 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if anti depressants are preventing me from weight loss? I'm on fluexotine and although I've not heard or anyone gaining weight because if it I believe it may be one of the factors as well as PCOS. I eat a diet rich in vegetables and fruit - not fair!
  • Amber50lbsDown
    Amber50lbsDown Posts: 255 Member
    Options
    For me it has been the opposite. I was on a low does for two years and it wasnt doing anything for my mood or weight, at christmas Ive uped my does had more energy, happier and motivated. 20lbs down.

I guess they really do affect everyone differently.
  • Sublog
    Sublog Posts: 1,296 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants don't make you fat. Over eating does.
  • angeldaae
    angeldaae Posts: 348 Member
    Options
    It is my experience that my mood is so low, I have no energy or motivation to do the things I need for my health, like plan my meals, count calories, and exercise. Hopefully my newly-prescribed anti-depressants will return some of my enthusiasm to me so that I can get my health back in control.
  • Huggenkiss27
    Options
    I lost weight on them! I am more motivated and don't "think" about things/life while I'm taking them. I am an emotional eater type though and the anti-depressants shut off the emotions for me.
  • anna0306
    anna0306 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    I was on Lexapro and gained quite a bit of weight. I've always struggled with depression and need to be on something. It makes it very hard and very frustrating. They now have me on 2 different pills to control it, but it took a long time to get there.
  • M1chelles5
    M1chelles5 Posts: 107
    Options

Not True.

I always and I do mean Always ate a healthy balanced diet and exercised ...gained 20lbs taking lexapro. Switched to prozac and the weighted melted off no problem and no extra effort. The problem was prozac made me manic so I'm done w/anti depressants period!
  • angtodaycounts
    angtodaycounts Posts: 24 Member
    Options
    There are different types of anti-depressants. Talked to your doctor and get one that does not have the side-effect of weight gain.
  • katielauren2001
    Options
    Overeating isn't the only reason for weight gain! :huh:
  • jg627
    jg627 Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    while that is true, some psychotropic drugs slow you down so much that your maintenance calories go down, so if your food intake doesn't go down too, you are now eating a surplus. It's a tranquilizer, man. That's what they do. Some antidepressant drugs do the same thing.
  • jg627
    Options
    while that is true, some psychotropic drugs slow you down so much that your maintenance calories go down, so if your food intake doesn't go down too, you are now eating a surplus. It's a tranquilizer, man. That's what they do. Some antidepressant drugs do the same thing.
    I meant to reply to the other guy.
  • jg627
    Options
    My advice, you don't have to take it or agree with it, try to change your life without taking these drugs unless you absolutely have to. This is one of those cure is worse than the disease situations.
  • butterflyliz32
    butterflyliz32 Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    I have found that it isn't the drug that causes weight gain, but one of the side effects may be increased appetite. There are meds that don't do that, so those are the ones to look for. My doctors have always been good about trying to get me into medication that won't lead to weight gain.
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this because my Dr. put me on Celexa a few years back and around that same time I started putting on more and more weight even though my activity and workouts were not changing. It was crazy! What were you on if you don't mind me asking? I totally agree with you though - they make you gain weight and you can't even do anything about it.... It sucks!

Celexa!!
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options

Beg to differ. I led a healthy lifestyle as far as eating.
  • ceannesjourney
    Options
    I'm currently on anti depressants due to clinical depression and have been for over 12 years. I've lost my weight by just changing the way I eat...it's not just the antidepressants..in my humble little opinion...and of course I can only really speak for myself...
  • katielauren2001
    Options
    I don't have increased appetite, but I do have PCOS which is hell. May be the pills may not be the pills, I want off them but the Doctor is reluctant.
  • ladyfingers39
    Options
    My advice, you don't have to take it or agree with it, try to change your life without taking these drugs unless you absolutely have to. This is one of those cure is worse than the disease situations.

I agree. I think taking it for a short time is ok, but try and get off it as soon as possible. Side affects are horrible. Good luck!