What's your average time running a 5K?

Options
Today was the first time I ever pushed myself to run a 5K without slowing down. I ran at 5.2 mph and finished the 5K (on my treadmill) in a little over 37 minutes. I know any accomplishment is good but is this considered "slow" in a race? I just curious where I would place if I were to run a race. My goal is to do it in a quicker time and even work up to a 10K.

Replies

• ATLMel
    ATLMel Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    My 5K PR is 28:05. If there is a specific race you want to know how well you would do in, just look it up on athlinks.com and you can get an idea of what the field has been like in the past.
  • BIGJIMMYU
    BIGJIMMYU Posts: 1,221 Member
    Options
    My best is 26:44 so far.
  • pgp90xer
    pgp90xer Posts: 219 Member
    Options
    I think that is great for a first time race. My first race time was 33 minutes. I then did the Spartan Mud Run 5K ( with obstacles ) in a time of 45 minutes. Running is OK but these mud runs are amazing and so much fun!
  • cushygal
    cushygal Posts: 586 Member
    Options
    My first 5K was 38:08 - my second was 33:12 and my third was 31:07.

Good luck to you. Running is a great way to burn some extra calories, but running in races can be addictive :smile:
  • SunLove8
    SunLove8 Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    Running IS addictive! I think I need to kick up my speed a notch or two. I'm a bit too comfy at 5.2mph I think. I would LOVE to do a mud run!
  • czmmom
    czmmom Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    My first 5k time was 31 minutes, my second was 28:18, my third was 32 minutes, and my most recent was 28:48. If I am only running a 5k I can do between a 9 and 9:30 minute mile. If I know I am running further, I do between a 10 and 10:30 minute mile. Don't compare yourself to anyone else. Run your race. :-)
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    Options
    For those looking for a "mud run" this one looks SOOOO much fun. I'm not race ready yet, but maybe someday!

http://runforyourlives.com/
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I'm just now getting back into it using c25k but in my 30's I used to run 5k daily and it took me on average 25 min. Sometimes more, sometimes less because I ran outside and the terrain wasn't level, but mostly just based on my mood that day. Some days I would really be feeling it and run faster, others felt like every step was a struggle.
  • Meaganandcheese
    Meaganandcheese Posts: 525 Member
    Options
    I am pokey, since I tend to still walk quite a bit. If I finish in under 40, I'm happy ... for now.
  • blaquesouldier
    Options
    I would recommend looking into the mud runs also, i just ran the gladiator assault in wisconsin, and i was seriously surprised. I had been training for 5k's and other thing for half a month before that but the ideal behind the competition as well as finding someone there who you feel is faster than you and trying to stick with them really pushes you to a new level that you probably didnt think you could achieve at your current state. There were 36 obstacles up hill and down hill portions and it was approx a 7 mile run, and i finished in 1hr20 with no walking and helping others. i have never actually ran 7 miles with out a break somewhere in the run... My wife finished in 2hrs and afterwards we both had never felt more proud of ourselves and each other.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    For those looking for a "mud run" this one looks SOOOO much fun. I'm not race ready yet, but maybe someday!

http://runforyourlives.com/

That looks awesome!! None near me though (boo!).
  • gmpearson
    gmpearson Posts: 138 Member
    Options
    5K speed comes with time. Running a 37:00 5K on a treadmill is slightly different than running it in a race. While 37:00 is a perfectly good time for a 5K, a race environment is completely different. Before you run in a 5K race, get some miles in outdoors on the road. This will help you gauge your pace.

From my perspective, my adult (not counting HS or college) PR is 22:20, but it has taken me nearly 2 years to get to that time from a 34:11. In that 2 years, I have logged hundreds of miles, done strength training, and run intervals/fartleks a couple of times a week. My average "workout" 5K is around 25-26 minutes for an outdoor run, and can be high 24 minutes on a TM. My average training pace for most mileage (up to 6 miles) is 8:30/mile. Again, it comes with time and building the endurance and strength. In March, I logged 91 miles, and this year so far, 242 miles.

Greg
  • Vyshness8699
    Vyshness8699 Posts: 428 Member
    Options
    My average time is 42-43 mins im trying to eventually get to 5k in 30 mins
  • brandyk77
    brandyk77 Posts: 605 Member
    Options
    5ks are a hard race to run - a couple of mistakes and boom, you can't recover. It took me a couple of years to be able to run them well (aka smart).

the pace between me just running 3+ miles and me racing a 5k is considerable. probably 2 - 3 min per mile.
  • hyperkate
    hyperkate Posts: 178 Member
    Options
    My fastest 5k is 27.30. I did do a run where it logged me at 23.20 but I spent the first mile looking for someone and am sure my nike run logged it wrong? I generally do 3/4 5k's a week and they are all done in under 28 mins. I would like to get to 36 mins then will start pushing my distance to 8k then 10k. I think you are doing really well. My first 5k was 34.28 mins
  • indiepops
    indiepops Posts: 96
    Options
    just got an iphone app to run 5k, on day 3 run 30secs walk 4:30 for 46 mins, so no where yet, wish me luck. great times for you guys though xx
  • sgmomma
    sgmomma Posts: 299 Member
    Options
    I'm still working on c25k but right now i'm getting 5k in 47 min :/
  • BrianHinds
    Options
    I'm 16 and a pretty good runner. My 6km run is 18 min, and my 10 km run is about 41min.
  • 1capybara
    1capybara Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    10k in 58:30 on elliptical, then i figured "that was too easy", now on the treadmill im struggling with 5k in about 42 minutes (but that at 4.5 % incline) and i feel like a slug, cause the ppl around me are doing 7 minute miles