Upped my calories and upped my weight!

Options

Replies

• watboy
    watboy Posts: 380 Member
    Options
    True
    Because that's the science of it. For example - a 5 foot, 7 inch female who is 25 years old, would have a BMR of 1200.4 - if she weighed 80 pounds. Which, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - she would be 46 pounds UNDER her "ideal" body weight. A male - at the same height and age would have a BMR of 1200.4 if he weighed 72.8 pounds. For him, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - he would be 65.2 POUNDS UNDERWEIGHT.

Thats not an assumption. That's fact.

It's an assumption that someon is 5'7". Not everyone is. Some people's BMR actually is only 1200.
  • anaussie
    anaussie Posts: 88 Member
    Options
    Healthy, wholesome, nutrition laden good food fills me up for as few as 900-1000 calories. I never felt the need to overfeed. I brisk walk one to two hours daily. 2 kilos from desired goal to reach BMI 21, I haven't lost a single gram for over a month. But I notice hips and thigh areas gaining muscles while fatty tissues disappear. My body must be in starvation mode at 900-1000 calories but doesn't know it...... stupid body. I speak for myself..... strictly myself.
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 482 Member
    Options
    Explain an entire race of people who primarily eat fish and rice who are in greater health mentally and physcically and don't eat 1800 calories a day.
    Exactly. With all this talk about starvation mode, people actually forget that there are entire cultures that live, work and play every day of their lives and never eat half of what Americans eat. The entire culture eats less than 2000 calories a day regardless of any physically activity. Are all of those people in perpetual "starvation mode?"
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    Explain an entire race of people who primarily eat fish and rice who are in greater health mentally and physcically and don't eat 1800 calories a day.
    Exactly. With all this talk about starvation mode, people actually forget that there are entire cultures that live, work and play every day of their lives and never eat half of what Americans eat. The entire culture eats less than 2000 calories a day regardless of any physically activity. Are all of those people in perpetual "starvation mode?"

And the other astonishing fact is ... many of us, too, are not Americans...
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Because that's the science of it. For example - a 5 foot, 7 inch female who is 25 years old, would have a BMR of 1200.4 - if she weighed 80 pounds. Which, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - she would be 46 pounds UNDER her "ideal" body weight. A male - at the same height and age would have a BMR of 1200.4 if he weighed 72.8 pounds. For him, on the low end of the "healthy weight" scale - he would be 65.2 POUNDS UNDERWEIGHT.

Thats not an assumption. That's fact.

It's an assumption that someon is 5'7". Not everyone is. Some people's BMR actually is only 1200.

My BMR as a 5'5 129lb 39 year old woman is supposed to be 1261... but I ate around 1800-2000 calories to lose weight. I'm happy I never permanently fugged up my metabolism when I tried to lose weight doing very low calorie. Losing weight while eating more, and keeping my muscle mass and metabolism intact is a lot more satisfying.... and I didn't have to lose as many pounds.
  • Sweet_Caramel
    Sweet_Caramel Posts: 19 Member
    Options
    bump
  • watboy
    Options
    Thank you for understanding that. Not all countries eat diverse high calorie diets.I doubt they are in perpetual "starvation mode"
  • MsMellyMelD
    Options
    I understand; something different happened w/me. I was on vacation this past week and I lost 2-3lbs. This week at my weigh in, I GAINED 2lbs! I increased my cardio and I did some weight training. 5lb weights! I never went over my calories...I was always under! I have no clue as to what went wrong. I feel horrible ...please help. Confidence is truly down :-(
  • watboy
    Options
    Yes I completely agree. The point is that outside of some cultures what some are saying is to "little calorires" is quite a bit and very healthy.

And the other astonishing fact is ... many of us, too, are not Americans...
  • ckneasel
    ckneasel Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    way too much misinformation in here to wade through it all...

long story short...

eat less than your expend and you lose weight...
    eat more than you expend and you gain weight... if you added 6 pounds you're obviously taking in more than you are burning...

it's a little more complicated for women and water rentention and such, but you've gained this over a month long period so it seems fairly obvious you are eating too much... there may be weeks of no loss, then all of a sudden you lose 3-4 pounds in one week, due to fat cells that happened to be filled up with water, that was released finally...

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/of-whooshes-and-squishy-fat.html

ANY weight loss plan should be accompanied by a resistance training program too...
  • becalee26
    becalee26 Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Sorry if this has been mentioned already but you would have ate 21000 cals to gain 6 lbw of fat. I gained 8 lbs in february and it was mostly all water weight. Took a few weeks of eating hardly any soduim and drinking a ton of water, but I was able to get it back down. Try not to drive yourself crazy, at least that's what I have to tell myself.
  • talobx
    talobx Posts: 6
    Options
    I am feeling the same way. I initially lost 8 lbs within 3 weeks. Now at 2 months, daily cardio/weight lifting at the gym and watching what I eat, no more loss. Also, what's probably more frustrating is that I've not even lost inches!

I'll try and open my diary (not sure how to do it at this point) for advise!

Thank you !!!
  • Helloitsdan
    Helloitsdan Posts: 5,564 Member
    Options
    Healthy, wholesome, nutrition laden good food fills me up for as few as 900-1000 calories. I never felt the need to overfeed. I brisk walk one to two hours daily. 2 kilos from desired goal to reach BMI 21, I haven't lost a single gram for over a month. But I notice hips and thigh areas gaining muscles while fatty tissues disappear. My body must be in starvation mode at 900-1000 calories but doesn't know it...... stupid body. I speak for myself..... strictly myself.

Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?
  • anaussie
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?

Thank you. http://www.healthstatus.com/cgi-bin/calc/calculator.cgi
    gives me following figures
    your body fat percentage is estimated to be 23.74 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 30.35 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

I'm 60
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?

your body fat percentage is estimated to be 23.74 % using the U.S. Navy body fat algorithm, or 30.35 % using the formula developed by the YMCA.

I'm 60

So you eat very little cals...under 1200 daily and you are fine with the body fat% where it is?
  • anaussie
    Options
    wrong place
  • huntindawg1962
    huntindawg1962 Posts: 277 Member
    Options

If OP isnt fueling first her Basal Metabolic needs then she should just throw in the towel now.

Wonderful words of motivation.

Considering all the people that successfully lost weight for how many years without even knowing what a BMR was??? I guess that also explains all those people living where food is not well distributed (we see them on pictures every year at the holidays) - I guess they are so thin because they are getting their daily BMR calorie load at a minimum??
  • anaussie
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?

I'm 60

So you eat very little cals...under 1200 daily and you are fine with the body fat% where it is?

Giving due respect to age, I'm fine with current weight, health and happy with self-image. My priority was and succeeded in making sure my blood sugars remain within normal range all through the day. Low carb was an only option available.... which meant none in form of white flour, sugar, juices..... never more than 3 slices of all grains bread any given day. Scarsdale Medical Diet has been a great influence over my food habits and overall general health. Permit me to give you yday's food intake for an example.... 2 slices of bread, more than 300 gms of peeled baked prawns, more than 200 gm of blue berries, 2 eggs, 2 grapefruits, one 25 gram bar of dark chocolate, lot of spinach, handful of walnuts and almonds, few peanuts, 1 serve of protein powder mixed with skim milk, 2 slices of turkey cold cuts, some fat free cottage cheese.... less than 1100-1200 cal consumption against /1900 supposed expenditure! I was stuffed full. Starvation..... you think? :noway:
  • masterofktulu
    masterofktulu Posts: 151 Member
    Options
    This kind of forum is exactly why people's advice doesn't mean **** to me. It's trial and error see what works for you. Nobody on here will give you the right answer because it's your body not theirs.
  • Helloitsdan
    Options
    Congrats on your loss!
    What's your body fat%?

I'm 60

Giving due respect to age, I'm fine with current weight, health and happy with self-image. My priority was and succeeded in making sure my blood sugars remain within normal range all through the day. Low carb was an only option available.... which meant none in form of white flour, sugar, juices..... never more than 3 slices of all grains bread any given day. Scarsdale Medical Diet has been a great influence over my food habits and overall general health. Permit me to give you yday's food intake for an example.... 2 slices of bread, more than 300 gms of peeled baked prawns, more than 200 gm of blue berries, 2 eggs, 2 grapefruits, one 25 gram bar of dark chocolate, lot of spinach, handful of walnuts and almonds, few peanuts, 1 serve of protein powder mixed with skim milk, 2 slices of turkey cold cuts, some fat free cottage cheese.... less than 1100-1200 cal consumption against /1900 supposed expenditure! I was stuffed full. Starvation..... you think? :noway:

Have you looked into intermittent fasting for the blood sugar stuff?