Options
Lyra89
Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
...which is better for fat loss, and why? :smile:

Replies

• uspotiki
    uspotiki Posts: 3
    Options
    Eat a good breakfast with proteins and you will stay fuller longer. It will also help you with your cravings throughout the day. Been there, done that. :smile:
  • SergeantSunshine_reused
    SergeantSunshine_reused Posts: 5,382 Member
    Options
    Which ever you prefer :] Doesn't make a difference at all!

If you are liek me and hate breakfast, small. (i just skip it)
    If you find yourself functioning better after a big breakfast then do it!

I like to eat my calories during the evening :]
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    I'm in the "it doesn't matter, whatever works best for you" crowd. If I eat a big breakfast I'm starving the rest of the day. But that's just me.
  • coopersmom2006
    Options
    Eat a good breakfast with proteins and you will stay fuller longer. It will also help you with your cravings throughout the day. Been there, done that. :smile:

Ditto that. If I workout hard before breakfast I eat a bigger otherwise I'll be chewing my own arm off by 9am!!! If I go smaller workout/calorie burn I go smaller breakfast.
  • BigDaddyBRC
    BigDaddyBRC Posts: 2,395 Member
    Options
    Potato versus Potahto
  • BrianSharpe
    BrianSharpe Posts: 9,248 Member
    Options
    I like a big breakfast but that's because I usually exercise early in the morning. Form a weight loss point of view it makes no difference but a good breakfast, including a protein source, may keep you away from mind-morning snacking (even that's not bad if you're making healthy choices)
  • lunchgirlie
    lunchgirlie Posts: 114 Member
    Options
    I've never liked breakfast so I don't force myself to eat it now. I still lose weight.
  • beth40n2
    beth40n2 Posts: 233 Member
    Options
    When I was heavy, I never ate breakfast and made up for it with late night eating!

Eat a good breakfast within an hour of waking up, it will kickstart your metabolism. Eggs are my favorite, they keep me full all day. Today I added onions, bell pepers, and turkey bacon to my scrambled egges.
  • laurabini
    laurabini Posts: 257 Member
    Options
    I always have a small breakfast as I'm not very hungry in the morning and I prefer to snack later :)
    You have to find what it's better for you :)
  • LucyvdPelt
    LucyvdPelt Posts: 34 Member
    Options
    i am really no breakfaster - strange thing is i am more hungry if i have breakfast for the rest of the day than without
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    Options
    i am really no breakfaster - strange thing is i am more hungry if i have breakfast for the rest of the day than without

My hubby is the same way. :smile:
  • hornedone
    hornedone Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    doesn't really matter...in the end it's all about calories in < calories out.
    Personally i like a good hearty breakfast. My M-F breakfast is the same everyday. Peanut butter (2 tblsp) & jelly sandwhich on good thick bread with a protein shake. Good quality fats, carbs and protein there.
  • Lyra89
    Lyra89 Posts: 674 Member
    Options
    Thanks everyone! It seems a lot of people skip breakfast...I'd be a moody ***** if I didn't get my morning munch on! :smile:

I always try not to eat for 3 or 4 hours before bed, as I've read and heard that your body burns fat more efficiently if it doesn't have to spend the entire night digesting food. Therefore I'm starving when I wake up and all I can think about is food!

Today I had two large scrambled eggs & a bowl of overnight oats with chia seeds (oats soaked in yoghurt & put in the fridge overnight...tastes like cheesecake!)

So, say on a Saturday or Sunday if I wanted to keep calories for wine/chocolate etc at night time...if I skipped breakfast, I'd still lose weight!?
  • JohnMolesworth
    JohnMolesworth Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Breakfast is such an important meal, do not skip it! Unless I'm going to be doing some sort of high-intensity workout
    (i.e, weightlifting or cardio interval training) I don't take on any carbs until late morning/midday. A high protein breakfast - which for me is some kind of egg white omelette will start your body dipping into your fat reserves.

If you skip breakfast entirely you are very likely to feel sluggish and tired as you haven't really woken your body up.

Good luck!
  • kokopelli206
    Options
    that's because with breakfast your body starts to burn - without a breakfast it's harder to loose weight, because your body "is not turned on" ...so either breakfast or doing sports in the morning will give your body a sign to burn calories ...there have been times in my life I'd went for th sport in the morning...nosw I rather go for the breakfast
  • pixiechick8321
    pixiechick8321 Posts: 284 Member
    Options
    First - breakfast is literally "breaking your fast" from the night - in other words, WHATEVER food you eat first for the day is "breakfast".

That said, it is better to spread food out for the day so your body doesn't get cranky from not having a consistent source of fuel (just like your car, it's happy when there's gas in there and it will stop if there's not). So I recommend always having SOMETHING when you first get up, even if it's just a glass of milk! A small breakfast would be (for me) a bowl of cereal and milk with fruit cut in. A larger breakfast would be a homemade egg mcmuffin type thing or a big bowl of oatmeal with chocolate, strawberries, etc put in it. In other words, small = <200 calories and large = 200-400 calories.

If you know you'll be using calories later (ie for a glass of wine), then have a smaller breakfast, but don't skip it.
  • Athijade
    Athijade Posts: 3,269 Member
    Options
    To be blunt... you don't have to eat breakfast and you don't have to or not to eat at any specific time.

Your metabolism is going day in and day out. You will not stop losing weight if you don't eat breakfast or if you eat right before bed. These are myths that just will not die.
  • freckledrats
    freckledrats Posts: 251 Member
    Options
    For whatever reason, I prefer eating a small breakfast or skipping it. Whenever I eat anything over 200-300 calories, I find I just want to eat all day. Who knows what's going on there, but I do a lot better if I wait a couple of hours after waking up, have a small amount of fruit, wait a couple hours, and eat something like oatmeal and have a later lunch. If I start with the oatmeal and eat the fruit with it right when I wake up? All bets are off for the day, better cart in the pizza.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    Whichever method makes it easiest for you to hit your end of day totals for calories and macronutrients, thus giving you the best adherence.

It is entirely personal preference assuming your total daily intake is appropriate in both cases.
  • SheilaAT
    SheilaAT Posts: 1
    Options
    Ive never liked eating at breakfast but now i'm on a diet I have 40g porridge with a sliced banana and now I love this and it keeps my full for hours.