Anti-Depressants- How I Gained My Weight

Options

Replies

• ST99000722
    ST99000722 Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants are just a bandaid for the problem. All that crap is not good for you. Suck it up.
    I sucked it up. I sucked it up for so long I wanted to end my life so I wouldn't have to suck it up anymore. Depression is a treatable illness through therapy and yes even medication. No one has to or should 'Suck it up'. I take anti-depressants and I'm not ashamed of it.

This
  • Beezil
    Beezil Posts: 1,677 Member
    Options
    I gained 20lbs after starting on Wellbutrin because I wanted to eat all the time, and I did. :tongue:

That aside... I don't think anyone should be ridiculed for taking antidepressants if they need them. I always hated the idea of taking pills, and I still do, but it bothers me much less now that I have found something that actually works for me, finally. My depression symptoms were more physical than emotional, but I definitely had my ups and downs with emotions too. I've been called "border-line bipolar" by several doctors, because I do tend to have small, brief manic phases when I'm not on medicine. I do miss those, just a bit... they were the only time I was able to be creative to the fullest extent. But it's the price to pay for being able to lead a normal, happy life and I'd never change it knowing how much better I feel now than I did a year ago.
  • Vespyr
    Vespyr Posts: 111 Member
    Options
    This thread just makes me sad now. Everyday I work with people with mental illness...hell my job is to tell them how their meds are helping them. It's so sad how bad a reputation mental illness still has. I don't even know what else to say. I hope if you haven't suffered from from a mental illness that you never do.
  • ili_s
    ili_s Posts: 66
    Options
    I'm just wondering about the natural anti-depressant drug known as exercise. Does that at all help? have any of you experienced feeling better through exercising?

I've never been chronically depressed but I imagine that getting up to exercise would be virtually impossible in the really chronic phases. But I'm just wondering about the effects of it when one isn't as depressed anymore. Is it a good way to start weening oneself off the drugs?

Speaking from experience and professionally, exercise is a HUGE antidepressant.

You are correct though, for somepeople who can't even get out of bed, speak, eat, or function in any way...exercise isn't going to happen.

The caveat is that depression largely affects motivation, so to get motivated enough to exercise is a huge hurdle for most.

Exercise inevitably helps someone with depression feel better because it increases the "feel-good" chemicals in the brain/bloodstream.

However, the medication issue is separate from the exercise. It doesn't work that way...you don't exercise, feel great, and then wean yourself off meds. It's much more complicated and individual than that. As I've stated before, medication is often needed long-term, even when someone is feeling well. They often feel well because of the medication, as well as other factors, such as therapy, diet, exercise...the list is different for each person.

Thanks for your reply!

This sounds really dire. Can people ever fully go off the meds?
  • aldaerr
    aldaerr Posts: 17 Member
    Options
    I am wondering if anti depressants are preventing me from weight loss? I'm on fluexotine and although I've not heard or anyone gaining weight because if it I believe it may be one of the factors as well as PCOS. I eat a diet rich in vegetables and fruit - not fair!

A common side effect of Fluoxetine (Prozac) is actually weight loss. One of the big diet crazes out there right now is combining Prozac with Phentermine (Phen-Pro) to lose even faster. I'm sure it's no good for your body though.
  • Hambone23
    Hambone23 Posts: 486 Member
    Options
    Bad, bad idea to drop anti-depressants all together. There are plenty weight neutral meds these days. Just be firm with your doctor about only taking weight neutral meds. Trust me. I do this. And I've been doing fine. (Well, weight wise.)
  • rcm1973
    rcm1973 Posts: 40 Member
    Options
    Which anti-depressants are "weight neutral"?? I started on Lexapro for depression and anxiety about 5 years ago and gained about 50 lbs. Lexapro works pretty well for me, though, and I'm reluctant to try anything else...
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Are you implying that the antidepressant directly caused weight gain? Or it caused you to overeat? From my understanding, antidepressants do not directly contribute to weight gain but only the possibility of overeating.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    I can relate to this because my Dr. put me on Celexa a few years back and around that same time I started putting on more and more weight even though my activity and workouts were not changing. It was crazy! What were you on if you don't mind me asking? I totally agree with you though - they make you gain weight and you can't even do anything about it.... It sucks!

I was on celexa too but wasn't able to lose any weight at all. They switched me to Cypralex instead wich doesnt influence weight fluctuation
  • MaryPhillips90
    MaryPhillips90 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love how if one person is affected differently, then everyone must be affected the same way or they're not right.
    Every body reacts differently.
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    Options
    Which anti-depressants are "weight neutral"?? I started on Lexapro for depression and anxiety about 5 years ago and gained about 50 lbs. Lexapro works pretty well for me, though, and I'm reluctant to try anything else...

Cypralex doesn't influence weight
  • jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    I hear ya. Depression meds have made me gain so much weight that it made it even worse...So make u lose weight and some make u gain weight. U just have to read the side affects to make sure. And keep on track with that stuff. I have found something that helps and doesnt make me gain weight...Good luck...Keep trucking....
  • Apa93
    Apa93 Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Antidepressants don't make you fat. Over eating does.
    Bullsh*t. I was one of the most promising swimmers in the country and was training for the Olympics for hours and hours everyday . I had the strictest diet you could possible imagine. I was put on anti-depressants and I started to PILE on the pounds. I'm not talking 5 or 10lbs. I gained 30-40lbs within two months despite gruelling training and the healthiest diet you can possible imagine. I was taken off the team because of it. It makes me really angry when people like you judge without any experience whatsoever. I've had my future taken away from me by something that was completely out of my control, and d*cks like you just immediately presume I started stuffing my face the moment I started taking anti-depressants.
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    My advice, you don't have to take it or agree with it, try to change your life without taking these drugs unless you absolutely have to. This is one of those cure is worse than the disease situations.
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    Bullsh*t. I was one of the most promising swimmers in the country and was training for the Olympics for hours and hours everyday . I had the strictest diet you could possible imagine. I was put on anti-depressants and I started to PILE on the pounds. I'm not talking 5 or 10lbs. I gained 30-40lbs within two months despite gruelling training and the healthiest diet you can possible imagine. I was taken off the team because of it. It makes me really angry when people like you judge without any experience whatsoever. I've had my future taken away from me by something that was completely out of my control, and d*cks like you just immediately presume I started stuffing my face the moment I started taking anti-depressants.

THANK YOU!! I'm so damn sick of these smart-*kitten* who know everything in life there is to know. GET THE *kitten* OVER
    YOURSELVES and realize everyone is different and can't always match up to your godliness.
  • janet6567
    janet6567 Posts: 129 Member
    Options
    It is true that many people gain weight when they ARE depressed. Some medications do influence metabolism. But depression is not something you have a choice about. It is a chemical change in one's brain, specifically a lessening of seratonin production. Finding the right anti-depressant is crucial and is a trial and error processl Many of the newer SSRI antidepressants are "weight neutral." I would strongly suggest that if you are truly clinically depressed, that you see a psychiatrist who is an expert rather than a family doctor. True clinical depression is not something you can fix by changing your life.
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    I don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch. Some of us are simply explaining that there is no known mechanism by which the antidepressant would alter you physically to cause direct weight gain. Weight gain occur when one takes in more calories than they are expending. The only reason any of you gain weight is because you end up overeating. Now, obviously, that's a side effect of going on antidepressants. It's difficult to avoid overeating when you're chemically altered. You can easily do this research yourself. It's the explanation for why most of you are gaining weight. Now, I'm not saying you'll be able to control it but rather I was just mentioning it. No need to get offended. This is the internet. It isn't serious business.

Also, @Apa93: a healthy diet does not mean you won't gain weight. What an absurd notion. I couldn't care less if you eat like Michael Phelps or Lustig. Healthy eating =/= no weight gain.
  • MaryPhillips90
    Options
    I don't understand why you're getting your panties in a bunch. Some of us are simply explaining that there is no known mechanism by which the antidepressant would alter you physically to cause direct weight gain. Weight gain occur when one takes in more calories than they are expending. The only reason any of you gain weight is because you end up overeating. Now, obviously, that's a side effect of going on antidepressants. It's difficult to avoid overeating when you're chemically altered. You can easily do this research yourself. It's the explanation for why most of you are gaining weight. Now, I'm not saying you'll be able to control it but rather I was just mentioning it. No need to get offended. This is the internet. It isn't serious business.

Also, @Apa93: a healthy diet does not mean you won't gain weight. What an absurd notion. I couldn't care less if you eat like Michael Phelps or Lustig. Healthy eating =/= no weight gain.

You are another example of why I'm getting frustrated. You're obviously not reading anyone else's reply. I lead a healthy lifestyle food and exercise and still gained weight and could NEVER lose it. I didn't overeat. I wasn't lazy. This medication made me gain the most weight I've ever weighed. If it was fault of my own, I would admit. Let alone not post on the forum. You all just need to pay attention and read before you open your mouth
  • suziblues2000
    suziblues2000 Posts: 515 Member
    Options

I have to disargee with this because when I went on my meds (not anti-depressants) I gained. When I went off I lost. Sometimes it isn't so simple as just over eating.
  • pinthin87
    pinthin87 Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Just got off Celexa after gaining 15 pounds in a year! Never had problems before getting on it. I can agree that one of the side-effects is overeating, but there are also contributing factors that people who are NOT and have never been on an anti-depressant don't understand!