Not everyone can get a flat stomach - True or False?

Options
So is it true that not everyone can achieve a flat stomach unless they restrict their diet extremely, by extreme I mean only steamed veggies, low GI fruits, steamed chicken etc? I've been trying to achieve a flat stomach for over an year but to no avail. I still have a belly. Could it be something else? I eat relatively clean and have junk food once every 2-3 weeks. Currently doing P90x in hopes of getting a flat tummy - not four or six pack, just a nice flat stomach.

Replies

• Malaika946
    Malaika946 Posts: 107 Member
    Options
    I really dont know, sorry
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    Options
    False - there is always plastic surgery....

That being said without the help of plastic surgery - I think it all depends on genetics and yourself personally...I know for myself I will never have a flat stomach (being preggers with twins tends to stretch the skin a bit) - but for others it is a possibility - but not truely flat - if you really look at thinner women a lot have a slight curve to their belly...

Some research has shown that removing grains and sugars can have an effect on belly fat....
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    Posture and stature are another factors. If you are training and have horrible posture and form, your body will form that way. And as for stature, I am short person with no torso. Although, I have 10% body fat, my shape makes me look like i don't have a flat tummy. But, I can see my abs, even the lower abs.
  • thistimeismytime
    thistimeismytime Posts: 711 Member
    Options
    It kinda depends on how flat you mean by "flat". You can definitely get rid of most of the fat around your belly--it might not be easy or fast though. I'm trying to get my waist back after 2 children, and it's MURDER!!...trust me. But all you can do is be the best YOU you can be. Everyone is shaped differently, and no 2 bodies are going to react the same. Abs/flat stomach are created mostly by diet and cardio--ridding your midsection of fat. Abdominal exercises will give you more definition once the fat comes off. Keep at it, and don't be too hard on yourself. Nobody's perfect.
  • spynoodle
    spynoodle Posts: 404
    Options
    I sometimes wonder. Even when I weighed 98 pounds and worked out all the time (in my late teens/early 20's) I have ALWAYS had a little pot belly that I could not get rid of. The pot has grown considerably since then!!!
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I would so true because the only way I am going to get a "flat" stomach is if I have a tummy tuck. I have lost 60 lbs, and I still have the "momma's pouch" from having 2 babies. I fully believe that will never go away no matter how hard I try - I have just learned to accept it. People can accept me for who I am or not at all - I am happy with myself.
  • Denjo060
    Denjo060 Posts: 1,008
    Options
    I know I will never get a flat stomach becasue I had 3 c-sections and back in the day they cut you up and down instead of the bikini cut so they had to cut the muscles. So no matter how many crunches I do it will never be flat I can lose the fat but no muscle tone in that area :sad:
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    True, to an extent.

I actually know guys who become hormonal wrecks once they get to 10% or under. It's a shame but that's what you get with the genetics you got. Some guys are simply destined to be 12%.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would say true. I have weighed 112 lbs, 14% BF rowing 2 hours a day, 5 days a week, and weight lifting twice a week and didn't manage to have a flat stomach, even though I did have 4 of a 6 pack. I still had a bulge at the bottom, I have very narrow hips, and I am fairly sure that's just where my internal organs have to go.
  • fteale
    fteale Posts: 5,310 Member
    Options
    I would so true because the only way I am going to get a "flat" stomach is if I have a tummy tuck. I have lost 60 lbs, and I still have the "momma's pouch" from having 2 babies. I fully believe that will never go away no matter how hard I try - I have just learned to accept it. People can accept me for who I am or not at all - I am happy with myself.

And this too.
  • kaetra
    kaetra Posts: 442 Member
    Options
    True

People are built all different kinds of ways. At 105 pounds and extremely active I was too skinny everywhere except for my tiny belly pot. I obsessed over it, fruitlessly and pointlessly. I wish I would have appreciated the more cooperative parts of my body then because I was in amazing shape. I couldn't see it though. And I was a total dumb *kitten* for that.
  • Nigerianebony
    Nigerianebony Posts: 182 Member
    Options
    and I am fairly sure that's just where my internal organs have to go.

Lol.... Yes!!!! Exactly!
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    You can get a flat belly (no exercise involved). I got my belly flat not by exercise but by ditching grains/flour/legume/sugars/processed food. Exercise just helped my shape a bit. And moderate exercise is just good for the body. The human body is designed for movement. But body composition is mostly about your diet. Genetics and exercise cover the rest.

If you are skinny but have a "pot belly" - that is called "skinny fat". That's what happens when you lose weight my losing lean muscle mass. And huge amounts of cardio will do more for eating into muslce mass than fat mass. Especially when you aren't that overweight to start with.

The belly is from grains/flours/sugars/high PUFA vegetable-seed oils and processed edible food-like substances. (i.e. about 90% of the grocery store).

"If it takes multiple layers of brightly-colored packaging and a $multi-million, multi-media ad campaign to sell it, it’s not food. No one has to put meat or eggs in a brightly colored box with a cartoon character on it.

"Eat what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear. LIve in Freedom, live in beauty."
    ---http://www.gnolls.org/2074/why-snack-food-is-addictive-the-grand-unified-theory-of-snack-appeal/

EDIT: I eat lots of fat. Mainly saturated fats. I get my fat through pastured butter, coconut oil, olive/avocado oil, eggs (have four today!!) meat - mostly red meat but I buy lean and add fat (all the bad crap they are fed ends up in their fat). I love Hormel's All Natural Uncured bacon!! Hoping to one day get my hands on some pastured meats. All veggies are cooked in butter and/or bacon fat. My occasional berries have either coconut cream (unshaken can of coconut milk) or full fat greek yogurt on them. Fat is the main part of what I eat each day. This is what got my stomach flat.
  • fit_fitter_fittest
    Options
    Ahh thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'll just live with it and try to keep eating clean (a little fun once or twice a month) and strength train. Maybe one day I'll get my dream stomach.

When I weighed 110 pounds @ 5'6, I still had a belly. It was soooo discouraging. I was literally depressed about it. I guess I have to take things slowly and hope for the best.

Thanks again guys.

hpsnickers1 what do you generally eat on everyday basis?
  • AeolianHarp
    AeolianHarp Posts: 463 Member
    Options
    Ahh thank you everyone for the replies. I think I'll just live with it and try to keep eating clean (a little fun once or twice a month) and strength train. Maybe one day I'll get my dream stomach.

When I weighed 110 pounds @ 5'6, I still had a belly. It was soooo discouraging. I was literally depressed about it. I guess I have to take things slowly and hope for the best.

Thanks again guys.

hpsnickers1 what do you generally eat on everyday basis?

Eating "clean" won't make it any easier to get a flat stomach.
  • fit_fitter_fittest
    Options
    Eating "clean" won't make it any easier to get a flat stomach.

Omg really? That sucks. I come from an Indian household so I live off grains and flour, although, we use whole wheat flour and I eat white rice in very small amount. We mostly eat chicken and vegetables and I hardly eat butter or cheese. What else do I have to do? Could it be due to constipation? I have it. My upper abs are good but my lower belly is quite protruding. I'm considering to see a doctor about my lower belly issue. Maybe it's something else.
  • frugalmomsrock
    frugalmomsrock Posts: 1,123
    Options
    Only surgery could help this stomach with all of its floppy skin left behind by having babies, becoming obese, and losing weight... :-/ Sad, but true...
  • JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    Flat? I think the amount of curvature is genetic to some extent. But, anyone can lose body fat from the stomach through diet. I've always had a slight curve to my stomach looking from the side... but I've never attempted truly low body fat until now, so I'm interested in what I uncover.
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    You can get a flat belly (no exercise involved). I got my belly flat not by exercise but by ditching grains/flour/legume/sugars/processed food. Exercise just helped my shape a bit. And moderate exercise is just good for the body. The human body is designed for movement. But body composition is mostly about your diet. Genetics and exercise cover the rest.

If you are skinny but have a "pot belly" - that is called "skinny fat". That's what happens when you lose weight my losing lean muscle mass. And huge amounts of cardio will do more for eating into muslce mass than fat mass. Especially when you aren't that overweight to start with.

The belly is from grains/flours/sugars/high PUFA vegetable-seed oils and processed edible food-like substances. (i.e. about 90% of the grocery store).

"If it takes multiple layers of brightly-colored packaging and a $multi-million, multi-media ad campaign to sell it, it’s not food. No one has to put meat or eggs in a brightly colored box with a cartoon character on it.

"Eat what you can pick, dig or spear. Mostly spear. LIve in Freedom, live in beauty."
    ---http://www.gnolls.org/2074/why-snack-food-is-addictive-the-grand-unified-theory-of-snack-appeal/

EDIT: I eat lots of fat. Mainly saturated fats. I get my fat through pastured butter, coconut oil, olive/avocado oil, eggs (have four today!!) meat - mostly red meat but I buy lean and add fat (all the bad crap they are fed ends up in their fat). I love Hormel's All Natural Uncured bacon!! Hoping to one day get my hands on some pastured meats. All veggies are cooked in butter and/or bacon fat. My occasional berries have either coconut cream (unshaken can of coconut milk) or full fat greek yogurt on them. Fat is the main part of what I eat each day. This is what got my stomach flat.

:huh:
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    It's blinking true for me, no matter how hard I work lol (three babies later)