People with children....

What steps do y
ou take to ensure.your children dont go down.a path of eating badly and being sedetary?? My son is only 1 1/2 but I already make sure he eats fruit.and veggies daily, drinks lots of water , limit juice to one cup a day, and always play outside...lease include childrens ages in replies!! Change your childs future now!

Replies

• fitby38
    fitby38 Posts: 307 Member
    limit juice to one cip a day,

ahhh ... you mean 1 sippie cup a day or an actual SIP of juice each day???
  • Il_DaniD_lI
    Il_DaniD_lI Posts: 1,593 Member
    I have my 4 year old daughter in gymnastics and ballet. She is really beginning to have an interest in exercising like mommy. I am her role model and am very careful with my habits as I know she will probably adapt them one day. (as I adapted my mothers smoking habit which I have kicked in the past couple years)

As far as food goes..she loves candy, cookies etc as much as any other kid but I make sure it's not regular and that she has had a healthy meal first.
  • averpen
    averpen Posts: 4
    My 11 year old is in dance. My 8 year old is in scouts and baseball. My 5 year old, 3 year old, and 1 year old are happiest when they play outside. I give them healthy food choices and gently guide them away from unhealthy food choices.
  • Candida1983
    Candida1983 Posts: 188
    I was told by a nutritionist that it's supposed to be 8 ounces of juice a day for young ones. I have a 20 month old daughter, a 5 year old boy, and an 8 year old boy. I do offer healthy things and try not to buy too much junk, although they are children so they are going to want junk every now and then. I have just recently realized that some of the things that i have been buying are seriously not healthy at all. Time to start cutting more things out! :smile:
  • TheWinman
    TheWinman Posts: 684 Member
    I think it has a good deal to do with what they see from us the parents. If they see us parents actively exercising, eating healthy then they will in most cases follow that example. My problem when I was growing up, there was always cookies, chips and other junk food in the house, so that it was I ate. I did not eat veggies when I was young either.
  • JodieElijah
    JodieElijah Posts: 136 Member
    My son plays sports as well as walking to and from school. We also eat healthy meals, meat and plenty of vegies, or salads etc. He eats a hell of a lot though, sometimes i feel like all my money goes into his stomach!!

He also eats a fruit everyday. I generally buy apples, pears, grapes, mandarins, oranges etc and they all get gobbled up!!
  • chachadiva150
    chachadiva150 Posts: 453 Member
    I knew a family that only allowed their children to have sweets and junk food only on the weekends. That way, the kids ate good, health foods over 90%. They didn't mind because they knew they would get their weekend treat.

They also had their kids involved in dance classes and sports.

Don't freak and make it a big deal. Make everything seem "normal" for your family. Integrate in the health habits you want.
  • DEGiltz
    DEGiltz Posts: 297 Member
    You set the rules in your house, so you need to be diligent ! I have 3 "tweenagers" who are reluctant to eating healthy all the time so we try to make small changes. Besides, the older they get the more exposure they have to "choices" outside your control.

I hate to say it but my hubby is part of the negative influence in our household, so get him on board too! Bad habits are hard to change, especially when they get older.

Stay away from McD's ... there's very little to be happy about in those "happy meals"!
  • katythemommy
    katythemommy Posts: 437 Member
    My boys are 4 and 5 months. My oldest has been involved in gym classes since he was a year old and is in several sports as well. We go outside every day before dinner to play or walk.

He enjoys fruits and veggies (thankfully!) and does eat very healthily with an occasional treat. My biggest factor though, is asking if his "tummy is full" so he can learn to listen to his body. I never make him finish his plate. I'm terrified of him becoming overweight, which is a large motivating factor in me becoming healthy as well.
  • twinmom01
    twinmom01 Posts: 854 Member
    I just do my best to get my kids to try new things...and while we do have things like cookies and pudding in our house we have taught them those are treats....not staples of a diet - they know to ask for those items and sometimes the answer is yes and sometimes it's no. We keep a lot of fresh fruit and veggies on hand and they know if they are hungry they can have as much fruit and veggies as they want...

We have also taught them about portion control over the years...so yes they can have ice cream - but they get a scoop...not two - not three...

They actually just took a class after school that was about healthy food choices and exercise.

Something I started when they were young was they get a piece of candy a day (things like a hersey kiss, a nugget, a bite of a candy bar if they have one that they got as a gift) - it may seem weird in retrospect BUT it works for us because they don't binge when candy is offered to them - if they get candy or what not at school they don't eat it. I have been in class with them at class parties and some kids get a small bag of candy and poof in 2 minutes it is all gone...mine bring it home and then ask if they can have a piece...I guess for them knowing they at some point during the day are going to get a piece of candy works for them..

Funny thing - one of mine give up candy for lent - the other soda - and so far no cheats...very proud of them (I tried getting the one who choose soda to give up candy since they may get to have a cup of soda about once a week...but she told me she wasn't crazy)
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    I have a two year old. She eats what we eat, except when she's in school. There, she usually eats her salad and veggies, some whole wheat bread/rolls and not much of anything else. Once she's old enough, she'll be taking swimming lessons and martial arts classes (not optional, especially for girls, IMO). We were pretty active before she was born, and as she is more able to keep up, we'll resume hiking.
  • skylark94
    skylark94 Posts: 2,036 Member
    Lead by example. I still let the kids have the occasional happy meal, but mostly we eat prepared meals at home.

My son and I love to go for bike ride and nature walks for exercise.
  • jamiesadler
    jamiesadler Posts: 634 Member
    My daughter is almost 15. I dont allow her to play video games that do not require her to get up and move. She doesnt watch tv during the week and I limit her junk food snacks to once or twice a week. She is also not allowed soda but once or twice a week. I try not to make a big deal about calories just making a more healthy choice and limiting portions. I dont want to give her a complex. I also take her to the gym with me to lift and we do zumba together. We only eat out two or three times a month otherwise I cook and I dont let her eat school lunches she takes left overs from home.
  • nataliefamily3
    nataliefamily3 Posts: 189 Member
    One cup sorry on my phone still getting used to touch.screen.lol.:embarassed:
  • CherryOnionKiss
    CherryOnionKiss Posts: 376 Member
    My son is a 1 year old very picky eater. I'm trying real hard to make him eat well and try different things but you know, he's not interested :noway:
  • jldaley09
    jldaley09 Posts: 219 Member
    I have 5 kids- 11,10,7,6,3. They eat what we eat.. We show them what a portion is. My 11 YO likes to go to the gym with me. Programs can be expensive but my oldest 2 will be starting karate soon, my middle 2 baseball and the little one, nothing yet. They are encouraged o drink lots of water, I limit how much juice they get, no soda unless its a treat. We try to buy local healthy meats an explain to them why we make certain choices. Instead of just saying we are doing something I tell them why. They are helping me with our garden. Always have to try things I make, I do not short order cook.
    My kids are active, they LOVE veggies, they always try new things without a fuss, They ask me where our food came from. I think they are more knowledgeable about food that I was even as an adult. They aren't denied treats but we ake sure to make it a treat and not a daily thing.
  • Elizadolots
    Elizadolots Posts: 178
    I encourage my children to play outside as much as possible. They see me exercise most days.

They don't have to eat all their food if they are not hungry!! There is always a fruit bowl available for picking as and when they want. Every dinner has got vegetables included. Also, we don't use food as treats, rather give them special days out etc.

Sweets and crisps are mostly limited to a Saturday, there is never any question about it. It's just the way it is.

They are 2 and 6, I have no worries about their health. :heart:
  • cherriewilliams
    cherriewilliams Posts: 107 Member
    I have two sons ages 10 and 12 and an 18 yr old daughter. My daughter was the one who told me about this site. My kids and I joined the YMCA and they love to go swimming there and work out with me.
  • sedosher
    sedosher Posts: 142 Member
    I pretty much let mine eat whatever they want (2.5 yr old twins) because I don't want to make any food "evil." My mother kind of did that to me and I honesty think it had an impact on me and caused a lot of my over eating issues. I require healthier foods first and then "treats" after. But most importantly I try to put the focus on being active and food moderation (1 piece of candy not 10). I would like for mine to grow up viewing food as fuel for their activities and not as a reward or the focus of all events.
  • Metsfn4life
    Metsfn4life Posts: 125 Member
    Children learn by example. My daughter (4 years old) will reach for a strawberry before she reaches for a candy. She eats what we eat (whole grains, vegetables, lean meat, etc), and we don't cater to her just because she is a child. She know that pizza and candy are treats that you have every once in a while, but not everyday. She loves water and has never had a sip of soda, nor does she care for it, because she doesn't see us drinking it.

On a recent trip, the pilot was brining down the plane very fast due to bad weather. My ears were popping and I felt bad for my daughter, so I offered her a piece of gum. She looked at me and said, "I'm not allowed to have gum." I said, "I know you are not, but this is going to help your ears...I am giving you permission this one time to chew gum." She refused to take the gum. I was cracking up, but felt very proud that she refused to take the gum.