Would like to share my research with you...

Options

Replies

• songbyrdsweet
    songbyrdsweet Posts: 5,691 Member
    Options
    Hmm, when you eat yogurt you look for specific bacteria, are the probiotic supplements supposed to have key bacteria in them?

Yup, primarily from the Bacteriodetes and Actinobacteria types. These include acidophilus, lactobacillus, and bifidobacterium which have all been linked to better health. Always get a multi-strain probiotic as different bacteria have different purposes, like increasing mucous versus killing bad bacteria.
  • susannamarie
    susannamarie Posts: 2,148 Member
    Options
    Wow, very interesting.

I had always been lean-ish -- (95% for height, 50% for weight) until I was 15, where I was extremely sick and on antibiotics for a long time. I gained a ton of weight in that time and it's been there ever since.

I wonder.

Clearing out the gut and then recolonizing can definitely result in weight gain. Very interesting to hear about that in a human rather than a mouse.

Yep. Furthermore I was losing weight quite well and then I've been stalled for the last week and a half, despite not having really changed anything (other than reduced soda slightly again) ... and just took antibiotics the week before for some sort of systemic infection. Wonder if I'm just unusually sensitive to it? Maybe my gut bacteria are just little wusses that run crying at the first hint of an antibiotic?
  • docjoe
    docjoe Posts: 65 Member
    Options
    Interesting stuff, thanks for sharing. I do some oncology research, we are quite interested in probiotics therapeutically, opening a study in our pancreatic cancer patients. The FDA in their mighty wisdom has ruled we have to hold an IND for it which has been a bit of a setback (curious to know if you've run into this in your human trials,I think it's ridiculous). I think your research is great, it is really becoming more clear that the health of our bacteria impacts our personal health in far more profound ways than previously appreciated.

Interested in your mTor work since that is a big deal in my world. Have you been involved in oncology or is mTor being looked at in other arenas?

Thank you! The IND is weird. O.o To my knowledge we didn't need that as this is not really a 'drug'. We're studying high-fat overfeeding with/without probiotics and taking anthropomorphic measurements as well as metabolic function stuff. I'm heading the metabolic function assays and the other lab is doing the clinical side.

I was studying mTOR regulation during endotoxemia. Many chronically ill patients experience cachexia and I was looking for the link between LPS, mTOR, and muscle wasting in a high-fat diet. Found some interesting changes in insulin receptor. I don't do anything with oncology but one of my co-workers studies sphingolipids and ovarian cancer, very cool stuff.

Ah gotcha, think you are OK then. We are looking at clinical outcomes, so using it with therapeutic intent. If your endpoints are physiologic and not clinical then you are probably OK.

Here is the CBER guidance on probiotics. Unfortunately FDA as of Feb. 2012 considers probiotics a drug, at least in regards to clinical research:

http://www.fda.gov/downloads/BiologicsBloodVaccines/GuidanceComplianceRegulatoryInformation/Guidances/General/UCM292704.pdf
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options
    I agree with it all except the high-fat thing. I eat a high-fat diet and I have suffered digestive problems my whole life. Every doctor told me to eat more whole grain and more fiber. It never worked so I dealt with it. (stomach aches as a child, constant gas as a teen - embarassing at school. IBS, hiatal hernia, bloating, gas, stomach pain as an adult).

I followed a high-carb low-fat , calorie restricted diet. Made sure to get plenty of fiber. This didn't help.

I ditched grains, legumes, commercial milk, and sugars/flours and all that fiber every digestive issue I had went away within 6 weeks. When I went high-fat. I lost the bloat, I lost the belly. I have a flat belly for the first time in my life. I am the healthiest I have ever been. This is after switching to a high-fat diet (mostly saturated). I ditched processed crap. I ditched "heart-healthy" processed crap. Saturated fat is in mother's milk. Saturated is the most stable fat (less prone to oxidation). Nature didn't get it wrong.

But I am inclined to believe that most of todays chronic illnesses could be stemming from the gut.
  • hpsnickers1
    hpsnickers1 Posts: 2,783 Member
    Options

Everyone has a mix of healthy and harmful bacteria. Healthy bacteria keep your intestines covered in mucous, they digest fiber to make gas and some fatty acids for your intestinal cells to 'eat', and they kill harmful bacteria. Harmful bacteria are covered with something called lipopolysaccharide (LPS) which causes a type of inflammation in your body. This isn't like a bruise or an illness; it's almost undetectable, but it causes things like insulin resistance. It might also cause obesity and type 2 diabetes in the long run. When the harmful bacteria die, the LPS comes off of them and floats around in your intestine.

Everyone says that insulin resistance is caused by obesity, but you're saying that might not be true? What type of foods promote harmful bacteria growth?

Well they are definitely linked. It's sort of a chicken-egg debate. Does the gut bacteria make you obese, or does the obesity cause the gut microbiome to change? It sort of goes like this:

Obesity--> increased fat cell size and gut leakiness --> inflammation --> metabolic inflexibility (unable to oxidize fats) & insulin resistance

But there are a BILLION subcategories within each area.

No obesity isn't caused by insulin resistance. It's the other way around. I've done extensive research on diabetes and insulin resistance. Oh and I am 109lbs and have insulin resistance. But I guess N=1..
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Everyone has a mix of healthy and harmful bacteria. Healthy bacteria keep your intestines covered in mucous, they digest fiber to make gas and some fatty acids for your intestinal cells to 'eat', and they kill harmful bacteria. Harmful bacteria are covered with something called lipopolysaccharide (LPS) which causes a type of inflammation in your body. This isn't like a bruise or an illness; it's almost undetectable, but it causes things like insulin resistance. It might also cause obesity and type 2 diabetes in the long run. When the harmful bacteria die, the LPS comes off of them and floats around in your intestine.

Everyone says that insulin resistance is caused by obesity, but you're saying that might not be true? What type of foods promote harmful bacteria growth?

Well they are definitely linked. It's sort of a chicken-egg debate. Does the gut bacteria make you obese, or does the obesity cause the gut microbiome to change? It sort of goes like this:

Obesity--> increased fat cell size and gut leakiness --> inflammation --> metabolic inflexibility (unable to oxidize fats) & insulin resistance

Oh and I am 109lbs and have insulin resistance. But I guess N=1..

This is very foolish reasoning.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

No obesity isn't caused by insulin resistance. It's the other way around. I've done extensive research on diabetes and insulin resistance. Oh and I am 109lbs and have insulin resistance. But I guess N=1..

No offense, but unless you're in the field, I would venture to say that I have done more extensive research on diabetes and insulin resistance. Please note that I said it's a chicken-egg debate and the process is MUCH more complex than this.
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    I agree with it all except the high-fat thing. I eat a high-fat diet and I have suffered digestive problems my whole life. Every doctor told me to eat more whole grain and more fiber. It never worked so I dealt with it. (stomach aches as a child, constant gas as a teen - embarassing at school. IBS, hiatal hernia, bloating, gas, stomach pain as an adult).

I followed a high-carb low-fat , calorie restricted diet. Made sure to get plenty of fiber. This didn't help.

I ditched grains, legumes, commercial milk, and sugars/flours and all that fiber every digestive issue I had went away within 6 weeks. When I went high-fat. I lost the bloat, I lost the belly. I have a flat belly for the first time in my life. I am the healthiest I have ever been. This is after switching to a high-fat diet (mostly saturated). I ditched processed crap. I ditched "heart-healthy" processed crap. Saturated fat is in mother's milk. Saturated is the most stable fat (less prone to oxidation). Nature didn't get it wrong.

But I am inclined to believe that most of todays chronic illnesses could be stemming from the gut.

Sometimes fiber is a bad thing, especially insoluble fiber and especially when your gut peristalsis is all messed up. I actually also eat a high-fat, low carb diet. I still eat some dairy though. The key is removing the sucrose. You can't have a high-fat, high-carb diet and stay healthy. ^_^
  • grinch031
    grinch031 Posts: 1,679
    Options

Sometimes fiber is a bad thing, especially insoluble fiber and especially when your gut peristalsis is all messed up. I actually also eat a high-fat, low carb diet. I still eat some dairy though. The key is removing the sucrose. You can't have a high-fat, high-carb diet and stay healthy. ^_^

What is particularly bad about the high-fat/high-carb combo? Is it the sucrose only or what about starchy carbs?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options

What is particularly bad about the high-fat/high-carb combo? Is it the sucrose only or what about starchy carbs?

We know the basic mechanism has to do with increasing insulin while having a lot of fat present...but really it's still mysterious. For some reason our genetically-altered mice which are supposed to be protected from obesity don't see as much protection when they have a high-fat, high-sucrose diet as opposed to a high-fat only diet.
  • Kerri_is_so_very
    Kerri_is_so_very Posts: 1,005 Member
    Options
    Good stuff! Thanks for sharing and good luck with your studies!
  • SweetSammie
    SweetSammie Posts: 391 Member
    Options
    Any research on raw milk and it's proiotic qualities?
  • songbyrdsweet
    Options
    Any research on raw milk and it's proiotic qualities?

Nope, not that I've been doing. Gotta keep it pretty specific. :)
  • msunluckythirteen
    msunluckythirteen Posts: 335 Member
    Options
    Thanks! Great info! I recently come off of Prilosec and over use of Rolaids. I became gluten free and haven't really needed them since, but I wondered what kind of harm the Prilosec and Rolaids have done to my insides. I will certainly start taking some probiotics now.

Those are made to reduce aciditiy. While that's good in the esophagus, it's not great in the stomach or intestine as an acidic environment helps control the growth of harmful bacteria. So I think the probiotics are a good idea.
    \\
    Thank you! Going to get some today!
  • ingfit
    ingfit Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    Interesting information! Thank you
  • luvmybaby333
    Options
    Very interesting! Thanks for sharing. :flowerforyou:
  • amysj303
    amysj303 Posts: 5,086 Member
    Options
    bumping
  • thanksprego
    thanksprego Posts: 2 Member
    Options
    Yes, and by not getting obsessed. Cheer up! It's very possible.
  • BlueInkDot
    BlueInkDot Posts: 702 Member
    Options
    SCIENCE.

It's great. :D

Thanks for the fun post!
  • dreamzvt
    dreamzvt Posts: 96
    Options
    bump