Have you tried GLP1 medications and found it didn't work for you? We'd like to hear about your experiences, what you tried, why it didn't work and how you're doing now. Click here to tell us your story

How would you log this? Or would you?

2»

Replies

• DiannaMoorer
    DiannaMoorer Posts: 783 Member
    I think you should log it. You sweated, walked miles back and forth in your kitchen, lifted pots and pans full of heavy food. Log it!!!!
  • GURLEY_GIRL3
    GURLEY_GIRL3 Posts: 347 Member
    WHAT DID YOU SET YOUR ACTIVITY LEVEL ON MFP? IF NOT TO ACTIVE..I WOULD LOG IT. ATLEAST 1/2 OF IT
  • rsmugala
    rsmugala Posts: 35
    I would log it as light cleaning. I cook during the holidays and it is really a chore!
  • radosti1
    radosti1 Posts: 198 Member
    This is by no means an everyday activity for me. My back is killing me and I need a shower in the worst way. My activity level is set to sedentary. Maybe I will log half. I still have cleaning to do. We'll see how it goes. I wasn't going to go crazy at seder anyway food-wise, just hate the idea of going over when I have been on my feet all day.
  • doyledozo
    doyledozo Posts: 42 Member
    If you're set at sedentary you should most certainly log it...all of it
  • marynmarty
    marynmarty Posts: 89 Member
    It's all in how you felt you did....did you really work it to a sweat? Then I would put the 6 hours in.....if you feel you only sweated a little bit of the time put in 2 hours....it's all in how you felt you did and how fast. I usually don't log cooking or the cleaning as I feel that's just a bonus and I don't want the calories back to where it shows I'm leaving tons of calories behind (although I don't do what you just did with all the cooking lol). I only log my true exercise. I clean all the time as I hate my house being dirty BUT I don't work up a sweat as it's just the daily clean. I think it's how you felt and if you need the calories for dinner I would put something in. BTW I'm coming to your house for supper :-) lol
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    I've never logged my cooking, especially not on a daily basis type of thing. But in December, when I did a solid 10 hours in the kitchen, just baking the entire time, I burned around 2000 calories for that 10 hour period of time.

I didn't log it, mostly because I didn't see the burn until I'd plugged in my BMF and by then it was the end of the day and I wasn't going to eat any of those calories at that point anyway. But I'd say log some extra calories and enjoy some extra freedom of eating at your dinner tonight. :)
  • lozfisher
    lozfisher Posts: 36
    Has the time it's taken to cook stopped u doing 'actual exercise'? The reason I ask is that if normally u wouldn't have dine any exercise then don't log it as your only doing it to claim calories. But if normally u would have gone to gym / walk / run then do as the time u spent cooking stopped u doing actual exercise. Not sure if this is right way to look at it but just my thoughts!
  • vicjam2
    vicjam2 Posts: 22 Member
    Log it! Body in motion is burning more calories than sitting or sleeping! I dont understand some of these other posts! I clean house to get extra burned calories!
  • MinnieInMaine
    MinnieInMaine Posts: 6,400 Member
    I would log half (500). And if you do end up going over a little from your special dinner and whatever else you have tonight, you'll probably be ok in the end.
  • Sasha_Bear
    Sasha_Bear Posts: 625 Member
    I wouldn't bother logging especially if you weren't wearing a hrm while cooking there is no accurate way to count the calories burned. I would just take pride in knowing I burned some extra calories not necessary to log in my humble opinion.
  • I really think it depends on which activity setting you have listed for yourself.

Mine is set at "lightly active" which means I spend most of my days on my feet but not doing manual labor. One of the examples they use for lightly active is a "nurse" which is what I am. I am running my butt off at my job going up and down the hallways and assisting pts out of bed etc. And on my days off I am still on my feet, cooking, cleaning, and chasing after a 4 year old, and taking my 2 other children to their activities.

I do not log any of this because MFP assumes that I am doing all of this and has built into my calorie allotment the appropriate amt of calories I can eat each day.

Only if I do manual labor or exercise do I log it.
  • omma_to_3
    omma_to_3 Posts: 3,265 Member
    In general, I log about half of something like that, after subtracting the calories from your BMR for that same time period.
  • Nopedotjpeg
    Nopedotjpeg Posts: 1,805 Member
    If your activity level is set to sedentary, then log part of it; maybe even only half. The location or intention doesn't really matter much for calories burned. It still happens, and rationalizing underfeeding is just as damaging as rationalizing overfeeding.
  • ezramedic
    ezramedic Posts: 119
    I would log it, but subtract the calories you would've burned just by being alive. Basically dividing your BMR by 24 and then times that number 6. Then subtracting the [(BMR / 24) x 6] number from the Calories Burned Number :-)

Does that even make sense??? LOL!
  • Bmontgomery613
    Bmontgomery613 Posts: 200 Member
    When I do cooking or cleaning (or the walking part of shopping), I usually log half the time I did. So if I cooked for 2 hours, I just log 1 hour. Makes the calories burned seem a little more realistic to me.

As for shopping, I usually log walking at the slowest speed. Why? Because they say you burn 100 calories/hour just by standing up.

This.
  • afwatson15
    afwatson15 Posts: 39 Member
    I was lazy and didn't read the entire thread - so if posted already just tell me to be quiet and sit in the corner.

I think you need to subtract out what you would normally burn in that time frame so you don't double count calorie loss.

For instance, my BMR is 1816 - and even though I burn more during the day than at night, I'll just simplify the math. 1816 divided by 24 hours = 76 calories per hour. Multiply that by 6 hour = 454 calories doing absolutely nothing. Multiply this by 1.2 to get to my sedentary level = 544.8 calories burned in 6 hours doing very little.

So, if you're cooking actively for 6 hours, there's a very good chance you burned around 1,000. Just be sure to log the DIFFERENCE between your normal level and the active level. For my example - it would be in the neighborhood of 460 calories.
  • JLLemons
    JLLemons Posts: 16 Member
    1000 might be a little extreme but I'm sure you atleast burned a couple of hundred..maybe a little more