Don't be fooled by Mcdonalds Oatmeal

Options

Replies

• Lesa_Sass
    Lesa_Sass Posts: 2,213 Member
    Options
    haahahahahahahahahahaahahahahahah
    HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAHAH

Yeah, I am laughing at all of you guys acting like little babies, Gesus. Seriously? Over oatmeal?

hahahahahah, okay, back to my life and having something better to do, you guys have fun and I really hope this arguing is worth your time, cause it makes you look so mature.:laugh: hahahahahahah
  • luhluhlaura
    luhluhlaura Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    Yeah, most of that sugar comes from the fruit in it.
    I've ordered the oatmeal without brown sugar OR cream and it tasted exactly like stovetop oatmeal with apples.
    It's always better to make your food at home, but if you're in a rush and need to grab breakfast, I'm glad this option exists.
    No hidden ingredients there.
  • kateroot
    kateroot Posts: 435
    Options

Yeah, I am laughing at all of you guys acting like little babies, Gesus. Seriously? Over oatmeal?

hahahahahah, okay, back to my life and having something better to do, you guys have fun and I really hope this arguing is worth your time, cause it makes you look so mature.:laugh: hahahahahahah

Granted I didn't read the entire thread, but I don't really see any arguing or acting like babies. People have strong opinions on stuff like this. And they should, because our food system affects our health and everyday lives. A little debate over frankenoatmeal won't hurt anybody.
  • dia77
    dia77 Posts: 410 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McD's since I was a kid. There is nothing there for a vegetarian. They flash fry their french fries in lard (blech)....and nothing is healthy.
    it's not lard , it is cotton oil . I don't think is better then lard but it is not lard.
  • fatboypup
    fatboypup Posts: 1,873 Member
    Options
    its better than that crap they serve as oatmeal at starbucks
  • Angelfromokc
    Angelfromokc Posts: 57 Member
    Options
    Pretty much everything at McDonalds is unhealthy

Yeah i totally avoid that place!
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    I haven't eaten at McD's since I was a kid. There is nothing there for a vegetarian. They flash fry their french fries in lard (blech)....and nothing is healthy.

They don't use lard. At least not in the US. They used to use solid vegetable shortening (Crisco type) but a year or two ago they announced they were switching to vegetable oil. I don't know if that is/was being phased in by area or if it was all at once though.
  • badgertom
    Options
    1/2 Cup of Quick Oats + 2 Tablespoons of Powdered Peanut Butter = Best Oatmeal!
  • KristysLosing
    Options
    Thanks for the information I was going to try it, I have never had oatmeal before and thought this may be my first step out because of how good it look and how it sound but I think not now that I have look at the infomation you posted.

I am addicted to oatmeal - I could eat it every day. I used to eat it with brown sugar but I cut that out. I buy the Quaker rolled oats (not instant ones though). 1 cup water, 1/2 cup oats microwave 2 minutes. Then I top with chopped walnuts and ground cinnamon. Lately I have been adding wheat germ too. They are sooo good this way and very low in sugar with some protein and fiber.

Mmm....that sounds really good. I have some rolled oats at home. Maybe I need to give that a try. :smile:
  • Krissy366
    Krissy366 Posts: 458 Member
    Options
    The only restaurant I can think of that even seems remotely healthy is Subway (and other sub shops, perhaps).....but then, I guess it depends on how you get the sub made.

Subway is only healthy if you get a few very specific products. It certainly CAN be healthy, but it can be just as disgustingly unhealthy as most other fast food places. People just think they are healthy because of the commercials and that Jared guy. And almost everything on their menu is loaded with sodium.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options

Actually, they stopped doing lard when the Centers for science in public interest raised a stink and recommend Cisco.
    And the public outcry (I guess).

But then a couple years later the outcry went up about trans-fat, so that was swapped out too vegetable oil.

Lard would be great in comparison, tasted much better.

Except in the oatmeal probably.
  • heybales
    heybales Posts: 18,842 Member
    Options
    The only restaurant I can think of that even seems remotely healthy is Subway (and other sub shops, perhaps).....but then, I guess it depends on how you get the sub made.

Subway is only healthy if you get a few very specific products. It certainly CAN be healthy, but it can be just as disgustingly unhealthy as most other fast food places. People just think they are healthy because of the commercials and that Jared guy. And almost everything on their menu is loaded with sodium.

Only if you walk an hour to get it, and an hour back, right! Daily I guess.
  • aspethe
    aspethe Posts: 15 Member
    Options

+1
  • Krissy366
    Options

Only if you walk an hour to get it, and an hour back, right! Daily I guess.

I only mean in comparison to other fast food places it isn't necessarily any healthier - it all very much depends on what you get. I know people who go in and get a foot long meatball sub and think it's low-cal cause of the commercials about Jared losing weight. I boycott Subway only cause I don't like their food, but there are definitely people who think they are some super healthy alternative, and I'm just saying that's not always the case.
  • chrisb75
    chrisb75 Posts: 395 Member
    Options
    Subway is just, if not more, preprocessed food than McDonald's. As I posted on another thread, I have been doing MFP for 30 days. It has fundamentally changed the way I look at food. Yet, I still eat at McD and Sonic and Chipoltle now and then. The difference is, I now know EXACTLY what I am putting in my body, I log it, fit it into my calories and enjoy it, guilt free. I eat good 80-90% of the time, why not allow myself somethings that I used to enjoy? Isn't that what taking control of your diet means?

30 Days down, 8lbs lost, 1 inch off waist, 1 inch off neck, 1 inch off hips...and I still eat at McD now and then.
  • Krissy366
    Options
    Subway is just, if not more, preprocessed food than McDonald's. As I posted on another thread, I have been doing MFP for 30 days. It has fundamentally changed the way I look at food. Yet, I still eat at McD and Sonic and Chipoltle now and then. The difference is, I now know EXACTLY what I am putting in my body, I log it, fit it into my calories and enjoy it, guilt free. I eat good 80-90% of the time, why not allow myself somethings that I used to enjoy? Isn't that what taking control of your diet means?

30 Days down, 8lbs lost, 1 inch off waist, 1 inch off neck, 1 inch off hips...and I still eat at McD now and then.

Great progress! And I do the same. I had lunch at Chipotle today. :-)
  • wally1uk
    wally1uk Posts: 120
    Options
    Which is why we love it so!! :laugh:
  • rml_16
    rml_16 Posts: 16,414 Member
    Options

hahahahahah, okay, back to my life and having something better to do, you guys have fun and I really hope this arguing is worth your time, cause it makes you look so mature.:latugh: hahahahahahah

Granted I didn't read the entire thread, but I don't really see any arguing or acting like babies. People have strong opinions on stuff like this. And they should, because our food system affects our health and everyday lives. A little debate over frankenoatmeal won't hurt anybody.
    Some people's lives are so empty, they can't feel good unless they feel superior. Clearly, we have found one such person.
  • agentscully514
    agentscully514 Posts: 616 Member
    Options
    Your being insulin resistant has nothing whatsoever to do with whether the oatmeal is healthy. It means YOU shouldn't eat it because of a specific condition. Just like someone else having Celiac doesn't mean *I* shouldn't eat bread.

And you seemed to have completely glossed over the point of my post. I don't see how anyone is surprised that something with maple, brown sugar and apple slices has sugar in it. McDonald's is not hiding anything. And most people would agree that a smoothie with five fruit servings has a lot of health benefits, regardless of the sugar content. It's all unprocessed, whole, from the earth food.

I didn't tell you or anyone else what to eat. As for your smoothie, I'm sure it has health benefits, but it would be too much sugar for *me*.

yeah seriously who cares about your smoothie? but btw just because it has nutrients doesnt mean that takes away the sugar content. if i had that every morning i would gain weight too. and probably crash in an hour. too much sugar no matter how nutrient dense it is. but if it works for you who cares? good for you keep it up!

and we would be a match made in food-issue heaven....or hell depending on how you look at it :p. at least we would never waste any food! and probably eat for cheap haha because we could share everything lmaoooo

Well, clearly someone cares or she wouldn't have quoted my post and responded to it.

My point was, the TOPIC of this thread is how unhealthy the oatmeal is simply because of sugar content.

And my point was that for SOME PEOPLE, not everyone but still a lot of people, the sugar content by itself is unhealthy.
  • germ881
    germ881 Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I'm not a huge oatmeal lover but once in a blue I get a craving for it. When I do I can stop by McDonalds and grab some in the morning. I eat with the sugar and apples. Tasty and fills me up. To me, McDonalds is not the devil and I enjoy it when I want to. I may try the Jamba Juice one someday. Didn't know they made it until someone here posted about it.