RUNNERS!!! How far do you drive....

Options

Replies

• MissFit0101
    MissFit0101 Posts: 2,382
    Options
    I don't drive anywhere.. I walk out the front door and I'm off and running whether it be for 6 miles or 20 miles. I switch up my running routes and go "exploring" sometimes lol but I don't drive to run.
  • mlb929
    mlb929 Posts: 1,974 Member
    Options
    If I run trails, I take off from my house, run about 1/4 mile and hit the endless irrigation ditch and can go for the next 50 miles if I wanted.
  • sexforjaffacakes
    sexforjaffacakes Posts: 1,001 Member
    Options

Edinburgh?

Yep (:
  • 5Goodyz
    5Goodyz Posts: 10
    Options
    Bureau of Land management = Forest Service=Dept of Wildlife=Dept of Natural Resources.
  • msbanana
    msbanana Posts: 793 Member
    Options
    I don't! I live in a beautiful city and find that if I take off from my door step, I can easily run to the waterfront (a nice bayside park), run through Point Defiance ( BEAUTIFUL 5 mile HILLY run) and I plot courses through and around town.
  • runnercheryl
    runnercheryl Posts: 1,314 Member
    Options
    I'm a 'from the front door' person.
  • janeosu
    janeosu Posts: 140 Member
    Options
    I run around town or from my front door most of the time, but we do have some beautiful trails and scenery if I wanted to drive a little further. Time is what keeps me from it, I have 4 kids and little time to get out! As my kids get older, hopefully we can go do some trails together on the weekends and make it a family thing :)
  • rybo
    rybo Posts: 5,424 Member
    Options
    I can run right out my door, but most of my runs r at places i stop at on my way home from work. Usually maybe 10 minutes out of my way. I have started driving 2 a park about 30 mins away for my real long runs just because its nice &has a lot of people.
  • AyanaSan
    AyanaSan Posts: 93 Member
    Options
    I hop on the subway and ride 40 minutes to Central Park or 30 minutes to Battery Park to run alongside the Hudson River. I can also stay in my borough and run Prospect Park but that involves switching trains and that GETS old really fast. I love living in NYC but since parking is tricky, the subway is the BEST way to get around.
  • froeschli
    froeschli Posts: 1,292 Member
    Options
    i have 2 trails within 7 minutes walking distance (i dont like running alongside the road, so i walk there to warm up). one trail is 5k (including return trip), the other just over 8. now i am starting to look for a longer one, since i am looking to do 10k soon...
    there's a hiking trail a bit further down the road, which apparently crosses most of ontario... guess that's my next target...
  • alikat42
    alikat42 Posts: 213 Member
    Options
    I don't have to. I am blessed to live right by the river that divides my city in half. It has beautiful paths on both sides and lots of foot bridges, so you can tailor your mileage. One side of the river is about 15 feet below street level and tree lined, so it's nice and cool. The other side is above the river and wide open when you're craving sunshine.
  • MayMaydoesntrun
    MayMaydoesntrun Posts: 805 Member
    Options
    My favorite trail is in the town where my parents live, about 30 miles away. I get to run a very cool trail and then visit the folks!

And for a race, I've driving 350 miles...it was at the beach ( Pensacola, FL) and one of my best girlfriends lives there and we run it together. Another win, win...race, beach, friends...:drinker:
  • chuckyp
    chuckyp Posts: 693 Member
    Options
    I live pretty much at the base of the San Tan Mountains where I usually trail run, but it's about a 4 mile drive to the trail head from my house.
  • mmk137
    mmk137 Posts: 833 Member
    Options
    I pretty lucky because I live in the country. The town I live in is also not very big (only about 6000 people). I also live in the center of down, which means I can go any direction and not get bored.
    I run a mix of road and trail. There are so many trails out our way too, and lots of hills (our town is deceptively hilly), so I don't get bored.
    And added bonus, I always see a few kangaroo's when I run.
  • lucky_74
    lucky_74 Posts: 30
    Options
    I try to stay fairly close to home for most of my runs .
    But for those "special" trails I'll drive 40 mins to get to them.
  • nickyeatrunread
    nickyeatrunread Posts: 173 Member
    Options
    Just gonna show off, because I live in the city. That is scenic, natural but has all the shops and cinemas and pubs and clubs a city needs.

The beach has a great prom for running portobello.jpg

And yes that big hill is slap bang in the middle of the city, and has "natural" paths through it you can run, as well as a road that has cyclist/pedestrian/running lanes on the pavement 307837_10150755224820411_822370410_20284581_2414801_n.jpg

And is generally just pretty scenic no matter where you run Edinburgh.aspx_.jpg

<3

I LOVE Edinburgh! I'm so jealous that you get to run there every day--I went to visit while I was staying with a friend in Newcastle and was completely swept off my feet--such a beautiful place to run too! I wouldn't drive anywhere else either!

As for me, I live in the city(ish) of Columbus, so there are plenty of places to run right out my front door. I'm still pretty darn lucky, even if I do miss my year living in France, where the running views were spectacular!
  • ansonrinesmith
    ansonrinesmith Posts: 755 Member
    Options
    I have 4 great running trails within 30 minutes of me and a great path around the base I work at.
    I've driven as far as 90 minutes for a 5K race though.
  • Cheeta_HH
    Cheeta_HH Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    Oh, gosh, if I had to drive somewhere, I'd probably never do it! I'm fortunate enough to live about a third of a mile from some great bike paths along a lake/ beach. When I get bored, I go in a different direction. I do occasionally meet a friend at a park that is about 20 minutes away.
  • ebaymommy
    ebaymommy Posts: 1,067 Member
    Options
    I'm also blessed to live in a town with a FANTASTIC trail that goes over 26 miles and encircles our entire town. Right now the rental house I'm living in I have to run (or drive, but I usually just run there because my training runs are so darn long these days) about 2 miles to get on the trail. But, when we close on our house that we purchased (June, we're closing in June!!!) I will be just down the block from the trail. Can. Not. Wait.
  • wolfchild59
    wolfchild59 Posts: 2,608 Member
    Options
    Actually, my favorite trail does start almost outside my front door. The start to my favorite local trail is directly across the street from my apartment building. The creek the trail is named for even runs through my apartment's property. It's a beautiful trail to run, with enough hills to keep it challenging but not so many that it wears me out on long runs. The distances I go take me past two different parks, a few lakes, a dog park, and more. I love it.

There's a trail near my work as well, just about a five minute walk to one of the entrances. It's not bad, but I preferred that one when I was skating. It's got a few more higher incline hills and doesn't feel as safe to be on alone.