Everyone Is Different.

Options
124»

Replies

• JennieAL
    JennieAL Posts: 1,726 Member
    Options
    As a special snowflake, I add value to the world. Don't f*** with my snowflakeness! I'll protect it all costs...and surely, as a special snowflake, it must transfer over into what I eat, right? Since I'm so special, what I choose to eat MUST be special too. It's soooooo special that my *kitten* is getting smaller because of it. And my thighs.
  • theoriginaljayne
    theoriginaljayne Posts: 562 Member
    Options
    All over the internet, on forums dedicated to everything from weight loss to muscle gain, people will loudly argue that they are different. “My metabolism is different.”, “My nervous system is different”, “My muscles are different”, things of that sort. Everyone is a unique and delicate flower, just like their mom told them.

This usually follows them explaining why the good advice that others have used can’t possibly work for them. They are also usually the ones making no progress who won’t even consider trying something else. THEY. ARE. DIFFERENT.

Individuals who have a lot of fat to lose either think that they can magically gain weight eating only a few hundred calories per day, or that they can lose weight just by rearranging their food in some special way. Because their metabolism is different.

Diets play on this of course, hiding the simple fact that they are causing you to eat less in a complicated pseudoscience of macronutrient ratios and such. But there is never any magic to be had when you look at these books critically: it all comes down to making the person eat less, exercise more, or both. It’s just hidden in complex schemes and pseudo-physiology.

Before you think I’m just coming down on overweight individuals, let me say that bodybuilders and athletes want to magically gain muscle and lose fat with a similar rearrangement of nutrients. That by adding some magical nutrient (usually an overpriced supplement) will make them start gaining muscle (or losing fat) without changing the dynamics of the energy balance equation. In the same way diet books play on the frailties of overweight individuals, supplement companies play on the frailties of the athletes telling them to “Use this product if you aren’t gaining” when the real problem lies with the diet or training program.

In short: you can’t beat thermodynamics anymore than anything else in the universe. You. Are. Not. Different. You can’t gain bodymass unless your energy intake exceeds your energy output because you can’t make something out of nothing (muscle or fat). And you can’t lose bodymass unless your energy intake is less than your energy ouput. These are rules that every system in the universe has to follow, including the human body. Nature’s rules, not mine to quote the all-knowing Mr. Miyagi. We may not like them, but we have to live by them anyway.

http://www.bodyrecomposition.com/fat-loss/you-are-not-different.html

Acg, your wisdom merits a cookie.
  • lickmybaconcakes
    lickmybaconcakes Posts: 1,063 Member
    Options
    I know right dam those mRNA sequences of codons mainly that Leucine causing crazy variations since the dawn of time.

(noble mention of that Serine he's one bad *kitten* amino)
  • Jules2Be
    Jules2Be Posts: 2,267 Member
    Options
    me rike cookies... thats what brought me here..
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    10.jpg

I'm not.
  • 1Timothy4v8
    1Timothy4v8 Posts: 503 Member
    Options
    Yea people really irritate me!
  • ElementalEscapee
    ElementalEscapee Posts: 552 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure she's referring to how, for example, intermittent fasting works better than attempting to consume 6 small *kitten* meals a day for some people. Obviously eating better+exercise=healthier you...but it's the smaller things like the one I mentioned that can be altered to help you achieve your weight loss/fitness goal.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    People lose weight all sorts of different ways. Yes, one way may be better than the other, maybe not. But there is not ONE SET WAY to lose weight. It is so unfair for some people to be belittled by someone else because his/her technique isn't the same as the other. That being said, no one is better than anyone, so let's all act like it, ok? :drinker:

You are wrong. The best way to lose weight is to go full Paleo. I live in a cave and hunt and gather for my food. I live how man was meant to live, on a diet of dandelions, pigeons, and the occasional squirrel.

79079.jpg
  • lilojoke
    lilojoke Posts: 427 Member
    Options
    All over the internet, on forums dedicated to everything from weight loss to muscle gain, people will loudly argue that they are different. “My metabolism is different.”, “My nervous system is different”, “My muscles are different”, things of that sort. Everyone is a unique and delicate flower, just like their mom told them.

This usually follows them explaining why the good advice that others have used can’t possibly work for them. They are also usually the ones making no progress who won’t even consider trying something else. THEY. ARE. DIFFERENT.

Individuals who have a lot of fat to lose either think that they can magically gain weight eating only a few hundred calories per day, or that they can lose weight just by rearranging their food in some special way. Because their metabolism is different.

Diets play on this of course, hiding the simple fact that they are causing you to eat less in a complicated pseudoscience of macronutrient ratios and such. But there is never any magic to be had when you look at these books critically: it all comes down to making the person eat less, exercise more, or both. It’s just hidden in complex schemes and pseudo-physiology.

Before you think I’m just coming down on overweight individuals, let me say that bodybuilders and athletes want to magically gain muscle and lose fat with a similar rearrangement of nutrients. That by adding some magical nutrient (usually an overpriced supplement) will make them start gaining muscle (or losing fat) without changing the dynamics of the energy balance equation. In the same way diet books play on the frailties of overweight individuals, supplement companies play on the frailties of the athletes telling them to “Use this product if you aren’t gaining” when the real problem lies with the diet or training program.

In short: you can’t beat thermodynamics anymore than anything else in the universe. You. Are. Not. Different. You can’t gain bodymass unless your energy intake exceeds your energy output because you can’t make something out of nothing (muscle or fat). And you can’t lose bodymass unless your energy intake is less than your energy ouput. These are rules that every system in the universe has to follow, including the human body. Nature’s rules, not mine to quote the all-knowing Mr. Miyagi. We may not like them, but we have to live by them anyway.

Love this!
  • tofindmyselfprettyagain
    Options
    We can agree that we're all the same species, right? Right. We're not THAT different, physiologically.

I am not a cat.

I laughed so hard you don't even know.
  • Nerdy_Rose
    Nerdy_Rose Posts: 1,277 Member
    Options
    False. All false. The best way to lose weight is to eat a protein rich diet of hot dogs and wonder why you're still not skinny. Or at least one of my roommates tried that.

This is hilarious because a good friend of mine actually lost his beer belly by eating almost nothing but low-fat hot dogs. (Not saying it was healthy... just funny!).
  • mamitosami
    mamitosami Posts: 531 Member
    Options

Stop clouding the issue with facts.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    People lose weight all sorts of different ways. Yes, one way may be better than the other, maybe not. But there is not ONE SET WAY to lose weight. It is so unfair for some people to be belittled by someone else because his/her technique isn't the same as the other. That being said, no one is better than anyone, so let's all act like it, ok? :drinker:

You are wrong. The best way to lose weight is to go full Paleo. I live in a cave and hunt and gather for my food. I live how man was meant to live, on a diet of dandelions, pigeons, and the occasional squirrel.

dandelions are DELICIOUS

So is squirrel. And that is why they always run away from me, because I look at them with hungry eyes.:devil:

luckily, if you can't catch that squirell: dandelions don't run away
  • tacticalhippie
    tacticalhippie Posts: 596 Member
    Options
    HOw hard to tell everyone at work that they only way to lose is a calorie deficit.
    Either your burn more or eat less.

But NO! Dr Oz says that you can eat (x) and take (y) because you have have so much fat in your (z) and it's the ONLY way!
  • TourThePast
    TourThePast Posts: 1,753 Member
    Options
    Dr Oz says that you can eat (x) and take (y) because you have have so much fat in your (z) and it's the ONLY way!!
    You should SEE the size of my (z)!!! :bigsmile:
  • EvonyPrincess
    Options
    Yea people really irritate me!
    You're not allowed to say that, you may offend people