What is with the "princess" attitude? (for men, too)

Options
Some posts in the "worst comment made to you" thread reminded me of something I've wondered about for awhile. Where does this "I'm a princess and everyone is beneath me" attitude come from, and how do you deal with it? Men can get it, too, but I don't have a good word to describe men that isn't profanity. I don't understand how people who have that kind of an attitude get others to play along with it. Having been the target of "princesses," the attitude is just so repulsive to me, and once I see someone has it, I can't help but see that person as ugly no matter their looks. For a long time, I mistook having a healthy self-appreciation with this warped view, but I know now it isn't. I guess the best way to put it is that a REAL princess/prince is also "noble" in behavior and attitude, while these fakes just come across to me as being mean and self-absorbed.

Replies

• stevewynjones
    stevewynjones Posts: 1,143 Member
    Options
    And yet you "don't have a good word to describe men that isn't profanity."

:laugh:
  • PrincessLou71186
    PrincessLou71186 Posts: 747 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your post puts you across as believing you are 'superior' to others and that they are 'beneath you'.

What is the 'Princess attitude' anyway? Confidence? Self-Esteem? Feeling sexy? Empowered? Acting with all the above? If that's the case then everyone should be a 'PRINCESS'.
  • skinnyinnotime
    skinnyinnotime Posts: 4,141 Member
    Options
    I don't get it either, in my experience those women end up rather lonely as not many men can see their "princess" status either lol!! :bigsmile: They obviously see what no one else does.:ohwell:
  • McKayMachina
    McKayMachina Posts: 2,670 Member
    Options
    I never understood that. Maybe it's over-posturing as cocky to convince oneself of non-existent confidence. Maybe it's a fake-it-til-you-make-it thing. I see it with people who live in the ghetto and refuse to keep a job. They peacock around talking about how famous/rich they are. Like, are you an insane person? Or what.

There is some bizarre form of denial going on there. I'm not really sure.

I've always had the opposite problem. I struggle to feel justified when I seek acknowledgment. Spent a long time being a doormat because I didn't know how to take a page from the Princess book. I still don't really get it. That results in taking a LOT of **** that I absolutely should NOT take from the people in my life.

So, I don't know. Maybe there's something to it.

Ultimately, I don't speak that language so I stay away from people who seem to require an audience.
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Elizabeth_C34 Posts: 6,376 Member
    Options
    Unless you've got an actual legal title of Princess or Price of someplace-real, you're not one. People need to get over themselves.

Humility, a sense of humor about one's self, and empathy are all good qualities that the princess/prince types lack.

I try to avoid the princess/prince types whenever possible. All they do is cause drama and stress.
  • Jd1360
    Jd1360 Posts: 170 Member
    Options
    Having dealt with a "princess" for a boss, I think it comes from narcissism to en extent. I had to deal with it cause she was my boss and it SUCKED. It emotionally drained me. Always having to have EVERYTHING her exact way and if not, I was guilt-ed relentlessly or condescended too. Horrid.
    I am a very patient person with a narcissist for a mother, so I don't know how I deal with it, I just do. It isn't easy.
  • Farfourah
    Farfourah Posts: 899 Member
    Options
    It's daddy issues.
  • mrswoc
    mrswoc Posts: 11 Member
    Options
    I understand what a 'princess' attitude is. Its the attitude that you are better than everybody else, everybody else should bow down to you and do everything you demand when you demand it. I have seen it in all walks of life, but it does seem we have a huge crop of 'princess' lately. Yes we should all be treated well, but nobody has the right to treat another human being like they are their servant or put on earth to take care of them. We should treat each other with respect. We all deserve that.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options
    Sorry but your post puts you across as believing you are 'superior' to others and that they are 'beneath you'.

What is the 'Princess attitude' anyway? Confidence? Self-Esteem? Feeling sexy? Empowered? Acting with all the above? If that's the case then everyone should be a 'PRINCESS'.

arrogance, cockiness, self-centeredness and the feeling that all others are there to serve your needs
  • sfoxy219
    sfoxy219 Posts: 103
    Options
    Cheers to them for having high self esteem. It is really annoying though.
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options
    I have a "princess" friend. It annoys me but I just have always been a push-over and after four years I have just learned to deal with it (which is bad). She has this idea that everything is beneath her. For example she doesn't work and hasn't in some time but when I got my job as a sales associate she told me "I could never be in customer service. I can't just work anywhere".

From where I shop to what I eat she feels that it's beneath her.

The biggest thing I find odd is that she also feels that certain races and certain body types are beneath her as well. She is a bigger lady but she often talks about how she dislike fat people and how she dislikes people of color. When I bring up the fact that I am a bigger woman and a woman of color she always says "It's different" but I don't see how it is.

In the long run her princess attitude has caused her to have very few friends. However, she doesn't see any flaw in how she treats people or how her attitude is. Whenever someone has a problem with her she says they are the ones with the issue.

I've just learned to not protest against what she says or face a brutal backlash.

It's sad.
  • Scott613
    Scott613 Posts: 2,317 Member
    Options
    Some posts in the "worst comment made to you" thread reminded me of something I've wondered about for awhile. Where does this "I'm a princess and everyone is beneath me" attitude come from, and how do you deal with it? Men can get it, too, but I don't have a good word to describe men that isn't profanity. I don't understand how people who have that kind of an attitude get others to play along with it. Having been the target of "princesses," the attitude is just so repulsive to me, and once I see someone has it, I can't help but see that person as ugly no matter their looks. For a long time, I mistook having a healthy self-appreciation with this warped view, but I know now it isn't. I guess the best way to put it is that a REAL princess/prince is also "noble" in behavior and attitude, while these fakes just come across to me as being mean and self-absorbed.
    I dub thee "princess rant" rise your majesty:flowerforyou: :flowerforyou:
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I have a "princess" friend. It annoys me but I just have always been a push-over and after four years I have just learned to deal with it (which is bad). She has this idea that everything is beneath her. For example she doesn't work and hasn't in some time but when I got my job as a sales associate she told me "I could never be in customer service. I can't just work anywhere".

The biggest thing I find odd is that she also feels that certain races and certain body types are beneath her as well. She is a bigger lady but she often talks about how she dislike fat people and how she dislikes people of color. When I bring up the fact that I am a bigger woman and a woman of color she always says "It's different" but I don't see how it is.

In the long run her princess attitude has caused her to have very few friends. However, she doesn't see any flaw in how she treats people or how her attitude is. Whenever someone has a problem with her she says they are the ones with the issue.

I've just learned to not protest against what she says or face a brutal backlash.

It's sad.

Dump her. You deserve better friends.
  • Rhea30
    Rhea30 Posts: 625 Member
    Options
    I guess the best way to put it is that a REAL princess/prince is also "noble" in behavior and attitude, while these fakes just come across to me as being mean and self-absorbed.

History might argue otherwise.
  • _Bob_
    _Bob_ Posts: 1,487 Member
    Options
    Princesses sure are fun, oh and everyone look at me because I am so awesome :sad: why isn't anyone looking :mad:
  • DameVenus
    DameVenus Posts: 70
    Options

It's sad.

Dump her. You deserve better friends.

I should....I have a million excuses why I haven't but none of them are valid.
  • Heartpath
    Heartpath Posts: 33
    Options

LOL, I don't mean men in general. I mean the male equivalent of a princess. What is the term for that for men?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options
    I should....I have a million excuses why I haven't but none of them are valid.

Do it as an exercise in your own self confidence and worth. You do not deserve to be a doormat. There are lots of great people that you might be missing out on because of her.

It took me years to figure this out and dump the toxic people in my life, but life is 100% better without them.
  • kealambert
    kealambert Posts: 961 Member
    Options

LOL, I don't mean men in general. I mean the male equivalent of a princess. What is the term for that for men?

prince?
  • Elizabeth_C34
    Options

Like the Jersey Shore dudes? Guidos maybe?