How to make strength training fun

Options
NBabi91
NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
Hey Everyone! So I have been on my journey for a while now but still have a hard time doing strength training for more than 20 mins. I find I get bored of it very quickly and am looking for ways to find more enjoyment in strength training. Any ideas?

Replies

• IveLanded
    IveLanded Posts: 797 Member
    Options
    Take classes.

I am not a fan of stregnth training but I always enjoy my classes when I do them. If you belong to a gym, see if they offer a R.I.P.P.E.D. class...it's circuit training set to music. I just started it and it's pretty fun, definitely a good way to pass an hour. :)
  • _GlaDOS_
    _GlaDOS_ Posts: 1,520 Member
    Options
    What kind of strength training are you doing?
  • LorinaLynn
    LorinaLynn Posts: 13,247 Member
    Options
    Take progress photos. :wink:

I still don't particularly enjoy lifting, but I love what it's done to my bum. That's all the motivation I need.

And really 20-30 minutes a few times a week is probably enough.
  • Fit4Evolution
    Fit4Evolution Posts: 375 Member
    Options
    how about a workout partner?
  • Rae6503
    Rae6503 Posts: 6,294 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier. If you are bored, my guess is you aren't lifting enough. You also don't need to do a million different things. I do 3.
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    check out eye candy in between sets
  • dad106
    dad106 Posts: 4,868 Member
    Options
    Lift heavy.. and don't force yourself.

Today I did a workout and my trainer had 3 sets written on there, but there was no way I was doing 3.. so I did what I could and called it a day. Next time, maybe I'll challenge myself to 3 sets of the 4 exercises.. but right now, I'll stick with 2.
  • Natihilator
    Natihilator Posts: 1,778 Member
    Options
    The only way I find strength training remotely fun is following a program and tracking my progress. The fun part is seeing myself lifting heavier weights and getting stronger as the weeks go on, just being able to do more. The fun is seeing and feeling the results. But you HAVE to track what you do, on paper, don't try to remember it all.
  • TexanThom
    TexanThom Posts: 778
    Options
    Lift open buckets of very cold water over your head....
  • iamMaLisa
    iamMaLisa Posts: 278 Member
    Options
    yep.. like the other person said, take classes... i take Body Pump three times a week and love it.
  • NBabi91
    NBabi91 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    Classes aren't an option for me as I work at my apartments gym and can't really afford to join a gym that has classes. Though keeping track of what I do and progress pics makes sense.
  • marbit
    marbit Posts: 108
    Options
    I absolutely hate lifting, so I tried a bunch of things and nothing worked. I started doing kettlebells and I love it! They work you hard, take up a lot less time, and you get a great cardio work out as well. Just a word of warning, if you decide to go that route, bypass Jillian Michaels dvd, its not very good.
  • drmattski
    drmattski Posts: 124 Member
    Options
    In order of my preference:

Trainer - if you can afford it
    Partner - if you are so lucky to have one who can work with you on a regualrt schedule
    Music - just get your best adrenaline pumping music and do it

Cheers,
    Matt
  • Spanaval
    Spanaval Posts: 1,200 Member
    Options
    Make sure yor workout is hard enough you are more focused on how many ways your @ss is getting kicked instead of how boring it is. I find cardio to be boring, but when I'm busy cussing out the instructor on TV, it's hard to focus on the boring aspect.
  • GymAnJuice
    GymAnJuice Posts: 512 Member
    Options
    im thinking of getting a kettle ball dvd, any recommendations?
  • janeite1990
    janeite1990 Posts: 694 Member
    Options
    1. I don't spend tons of time on strength training. Just do a couple of muscle groups at a time. That shouldn't take too long.

2. I work out at home, too, like you. I'm not at a gym. Do you take an iPod with you? I have a tv in my weight room, and having something decent on the telly helps the time go by.

3. Two things motivate me.
    A. I like to see an increase to the weights. A few years ago I could cheat 25 lbs for biceps and lift 20 lbs respectfully. Now, I am back to 20 and 15. It makes me mad, which makes me want to hit those muscles and see an increase. I want to be strong. I want people to say, "Wow, she's little but she is strong. I can't believe she just did that."
    B. I like seeing the little changes to the shape of my body that strength training provides. It's amazing. About once a week, if I'm being faithful, I'll find some little cut that wasn't there before. When that happens, I'm psyched to do more.

4. When you figure out what works for you leverage it. Whatever it is, play it up!
  • bhelmreich
    bhelmreich Posts: 254 Member
    Options
    Find workouts outline that map out the workout for you. I do Jamie Easons 12 week program and it takes me about 40 minutes to complete. I am like you and get bored super easy. I found it was more I didn't know what moves to do for the body part i was working out.
  • wellbert
    wellbert Posts: 3,924 Member
    Options
    Only do it for ~20 minutes and focus on the big, compound lifts. Add weight every time. It's a challenge!
  • taso42
    taso42 Posts: 8,980 Member
    Options
    Lift heavier. If you are bored, my guess is you aren't lifting enough. You also don't need to do a million different things. I do 3.

/thread
  • LeslieMDoyle
    LeslieMDoyle Posts: 162 Member
    Options
    set your workout to music. I don't know how many songs you want to get through. But pick songs that keep you pumped and go the speed of your reps. I also like the idea of tracking your progress with pictures.