Why a Cheat Day is a misnomer

Options

Replies

• UsedToBeHusky
    UsedToBeHusky Posts: 15,229 Member
    Options
    ...this is merely an attack on those he feels are half-a$$ing it, even if the results prove otherwise. He's pulling morality cop here and isn't interested in any opinions but his own.

Sooooo many people on this site do this. I just don't understand why there is always someone that wants to look down their nose at another's efforts just because the efforts were achieved in a different manner. I usually just figure that they are pissed off because they can't do it my way.
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    A reasonable question deserves a reasonable answer. It's telling me what I'm doing is wrong that's annoying.
    The timing and frequency for deviations from your diet is more a personal thing than anything. As long as your average caloric intake over time is still below maintenance you will continue to lose weight. If I didn't have cheat days, events like Thanksgiving or my birthday would completely throw me off my diet. Once I'm off my diet I have a lot of trouble getting back on the horse. If it's planned into my routine though, for me at least, it's much easier.

Some people do have a moderate amount of bad food on a more regular basis. I personally don't have the discipline for that, and prefer the decadence of having it all at once.

thanks for the explanation. i just wanted to know why people dedicated whole days to eating what they wanted when they could practice moderation every day, figuratively. but i guess you have to do what works best for you.
  • Prettylittlelotus
    Prettylittlelotus Posts: 239 Member
    Options
    So true! My Fiance has a cheat day every week...I do not. I know myself well enough to know, if I slip even one day, it will make it easier for me to slip another day and then another until I am right back where I started. Not to mention how much harder you have to work to constantly burn off those extra calories!

Well said, I could not agree with you more.
  • sunnyflower1177
    Options
    I realy enjoyed what you wrote and I will take heed to that, so with that said I will start saying and doing a "Budget" I really like that and instead of saying "Cheat day!" I will say I'm budgeting!!!! Ok thanks for that well written advice!
  • SwannySez
    SwannySez Posts: 5,864 Member
    Options
    I shall henceforth refer to them as "Let's Annoy callmeBAM by calling these 'Cheat Days'".
  • brand1m
    brand1m Posts: 4
    Options
    I tend to agree as I don't consider it a "cheat meal" or "cheat day" - I screwed up. I screwed up this morning. It wasn't a cheat day, it was a flat out bone head morning and now I'll work out like crazy today to even it out.

I think that language attempts to just lessen the impact and make it seem like its no big deal. The problem is that it becomes all too easy for me to stack up those no big deal meals, into no big deal days, into no big deal I'll start next week, into holy smokes I gained 10 lbs this month.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    I so want a cheat day now.... ;) I think ill skip class too:) thanks for the useless rant... Self righteous people are always so wonderful...
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    thanks for the explanation. i just wanted to know why people dedicated whole days to eating what they wanted when they could practice moderation every day, figuratively. but i guess you have to do what works best for you.

I can't speak for anyone else, but when it comes to some foods I don't want just a little. For example nachos or pizza. I don't ever want a piece of pizza. I want several pieces of pizza. So I eat those foods occasionally and when I do I eat too much. This makes me happier than just getting a taste and it doesn't throw me off track because I only do it occasionally.
  • torie079
    torie079 Posts: 179 Member
    Options
    ...this is merely an attack on those he feels are half-a$$ing it, even if the results prove otherwise. He's pulling morality cop here and isn't interested in any opinions but his own.

Sooooo many people on this site do this. I just don't understand why there is always someone that wants to look down their nose at another's efforts just because the efforts were achieved in a different manner. I usually just figure that they are pissed off because they can't do it my way.

All of this ^^^^ thumbs up.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    So, those of you who embrace cheating, what other parts of your life to you have regular cheat days?? If it is good for your body, should be good everywhere else too right?

Not that it's any of your business, but here's a list off the top of my head:

1) Playing video games instead of doing chores

Chores? LOL. Are you 13?

I call the work I have to do around the house 'chores', too. Why is that funny? Why does that sound like a 13 year old?

chore
       [chawr, chohr]
    noun
    1.a small or odd job; routine task.
    2.chores, the everyday work around a house or farm.
    3.a hard or unpleasant task: Solving the problem was quite a chore.
    Origin:
    1375–1425; late Middle English char, Old English cyrr, variant of cierr, cerr char3

Synonyms
    1. duty, work, errand, stint. 1, 2. See task.

It seems to me like you have issues with semantics. :-)
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    I tend to agree as I don't consider it a "cheat meal" or "cheat day" - I screwed up. I screwed up this morning. It wasn't a cheat day, it was a flat out bone head morning and now I'll work out like crazy today to even it out.

I think that language attempts to just lessen the impact and make it seem like its no big deal. The problem is that it becomes all too easy for me to stack up those no big deal meals, into no big deal days, into no big deal I'll start next week, into holy smokes I gained 10 lbs this month.
    People that always have to start their "diet" on Monday because they have to be perfect are setting themselves up for failure. Eating something that you consider "bad" is not screwing up unless you are eating a caloric surplus over the long-term. A day or week of eating perfect won't make you reach your goals but a few months of eating at a caloric deficit will, whether or not you "cheat."
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    why not have a moderate amount of a "bad food" everyday? if its not so bad?

i don't understand why a whole day has to be dedicated to it? is it a "break" from your diet?

^This
    I have high/low days but I don't pick one specific day for it as that would drive me crazy. I have a weekly bonus allowance of calories that I use for the "bad food" on whatever days I want. Typically that's the weekend but I agree with you on this. I don't feel like I can be trusted with a "cheat day" as it could turn into an all week cheat lol. That's why the weekly bonus calories helps so much.
  • DeanneLea
    DeanneLea Posts: 261
    Options
    So, those of you who embrace cheating, what other parts of your life to you have regular cheat days?? If it is good for your body, should be good everywhere else too right?

Not that it's any of your business, but here's a list off the top of my head:

1) Playing video games instead of doing chores

Chores? LOL. Are you 13?

I call the work I have to do around the house 'chores', too. Why is that funny? Why does that sound like a 13 year old?

chore
       [chawr, chohr]
    noun
    Origin:
    1375–1425; late Middle English char, Old English cyrr, variant of cierr, cerr char3

Synonyms

*giggle*
  • pastryari
    pastryari Posts: 8,646 Member
    Options
    This thread hasn't gotten locked yet??
  • 19danno77
    19danno77 Posts: 84
    Options

chore
       [chawr, chohr]
    noun
    Origin:

Synonyms

Yeah, this is further proof that OP is just looking for a fight...I used the word "chore" as well. It would have been different had you said do your chores for allowance. You presented him with your list and he just attacked...no acknowledgement of the substance of your comment.
  • charliesmagic
    Options
    I agree its not a "cheat day", however I don't call it relapsing. Being on MFP has changed the way I look at food. I treat my meals and most of my snacks as fuel for my body. When I do that, I eat "clean", as some people call it, most of the time. However, if I eat some home made cookies, or a piece of cake, etc now and then i am ok with it. I log it, I fit it into my calories and move on. I am not cheating, I am budgeting in something I enjoy, then I NEVER feel the need to binge when I get the chance.

Think of it in terms of personal finance, sure I can be a "good boy" and save every single bit of money and never "waste" a single penny. That means I don't go to movies, I never travel, I never eat out, I can't go on a Sunday drive, I can't take my kids for ice cream, etc etc. What kind of life is that?

If I am taking good care of myself, watching my diet, exercising, etc, then what is WRONG with occasionally eating something "fun" or not healthy. Remember: Changing the way you eat is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't become so obsessed with eating 100% clean that you miss out on little things can bring you daily joy.

:flowerforyou: :bigsmile:

Well said!
  • charliesmagic
    Options
    how about a Splurge Day! I always liked that word.

Good one! :happy:
  • kimbsh01
    kimbsh01 Posts: 38
    Options
    Why do you care what people call it? I say cheat or spike day. It's what I want to call it. It's my day, my body, my food choices. It doesn't have anything to do with you or anyone else, so why do you care so much what other people do or what terms they use?

THIS
  • Serah87
    Serah87 Posts: 5,481 Member
    Options
    TOTALLY AGREE!!!!!!!!!!!!! :flowerforyou:
  • andreanicole686
    andreanicole686 Posts: 406 Member
    Options
    No one is perfect, we all have slip ups sometimes people are embarrassed by messing up so they call it their cheat day. No one can be perfect 100% of the time. If 20% of the time you eat a pizza or extra chocolate then it happens. If it works for people then it works for them. Most of the foods I enjoy like sushi or dark chocolate aren't horrible for me but on my 20% days or "REFUEL" days I may eat more than I should. We need to be more supportive of others.