Why a Cheat Day is a misnomer

Options

Replies

• LadyNeshoba
    LadyNeshoba Posts: 159 Member
    Options
    This thread makes me happy. I see no point in "Cheat days". I have no need for cheat days because I can eat all my fave stuffs whenever I want.

I can drink alcohol whenever I have enough calories left over to allow such a thing.

As long as I work out and eat in MODERATION. As in 2 cookies here maybe 1/2 a white chocolate bar there...I'm good. They have serving sizes for a reason.

On a Saturday if I want a damn sonic hamburger I'm going to have one. But I will make sure that I not only work out that day...but I haven't gone over any of the previous days and I'm not going to eat whatever I want the rest of that day.

I'm not going to deny myself food but I'm not going to over indulge every chance I get.

This is about learning to control our portions and get healthy. Not about denying yourself food and then over indulging and getting depressed or worse feeling okay about it. Because once you start to think (at least in MY case) it's okay...you'll start indulging more and more because "It's okay...it was my cheat day."

I know not everyone is like that. I'm just saying.
  • zoeluiisa
    zoeluiisa Posts: 392
    Options
    Wow. This thread got nasty fast.
  • Fay84Vegan
    Fay84Vegan Posts: 225 Member
    Options
    Why don't we just all call it a 'TREAT DAY!' then EVERYONE is happy - Everyone likes a TREAT! :happy:
  • buzzcogs
    buzzcogs Posts: 296 Member
    Options
    Ouch! the truth hurts!
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    What if I call it I_don't_give_a_chit_I_will_eat_what_I_want day?
  • coconutbuNZ
    coconutbuNZ Posts: 578 Member
    Options
    Why don't we just all call it a 'TREAT DAY!' then EVERYONE is happy - Everyone likes a TREAT! :happy:

I like that! Treat Day sounds better than cheat day.
  • 2April
    2April Posts: 285 Member
    Options
    So, those of you who embrace cheating, what other parts of your life to you have regular cheat days?? If it is good for your body, should be good everywhere else too right?

Did you read what I said about personal finance? Isn't any form of entertainment wasteful spending? Why would you do such a thing then?

If you have a budget and going to the movies is in it, then that is not cheating.

Several of you are using the term cheat to describe something you plan for, which is the opposite of what I am talking about.
    Aren't most acts of cheating intentional? Like you might plan to meet a lover at a hotel, or plan to count cards, or plan on bringing a cheat sheet into a test ...or plan on having a big easter dinner and some chocolate. I'd argue that the planning or intention is an essential part of cheating.
  • Sariebon
    Sariebon Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    I agree its not a "cheat day", however I don't call it relapsing. Being on MFP has changed the way I look at food. I treat my meals and most of my snacks as fuel for my body. When I do that, I eat "clean", as some people call it, most of the time. However, if I eat some home made cookies, or a piece of cake, etc now and then i am ok with it. I log it, I fit it into my calories and move on. I am not cheating, I am budgeting in something I enjoy, then I NEVER feel the need to binge when I get the chance.

Think of it in terms of personal finance, sure I can be a "good boy" and save every single bit of money and never "waste" a single penny. That means I don't go to movies, I never travel, I never eat out, I can't go on a Sunday drive, I can't take my kids for ice cream, etc etc. What kind of life is that?

If I am taking good care of myself, watching my diet, exercising, etc, then what is WRONG with occasionally eating something "fun" or not healthy. Remember: Changing the way you eat is a marathon, not a sprint. Don't become so obsessed with eating 100% clean that you miss out on little things can bring you daily joy.

Well said! I wholeheartedly agree.
  • Fozzyspotts
    Fozzyspotts Posts: 50 Member
    Options
    to call it a cheat day does indicate you are sneaking food. Or eating foods that are bad for you in serious ways. Eating too much is eating too much. For me, it is missed days. I don't cheat, I just don't log for whatever reason, but is that cheating?

I think "I don't want to follow the plan day" probably fits best.
  • Cmonnowguys
    Cmonnowguys Posts: 361 Member
    Options
    YOU'LL HAVE TO PRY MY CHEAT DAYS FROM MY COLD FAT HANDS

LOLOL
  • Thaedra
    Thaedra Posts: 52
    Options
    Why do you care what people call it? I say cheat or spike day. It's what I want to call it. It's my day, my body, my food choices. It doesn't have anything to do with you or anyone else, so why do you care so much what other people do or what terms they use?
    Exactly!! Why does it matter what anyone else is eating or what they call it?? Take care of yourself, and let others do the same how they see fit. (Seriously, with all of the problems in the world and this is what some people choose to focus on???)
  • noelliebell
    noelliebell Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I did this yesterday and gained 4lbs... I felt bad before, during, and after my actions... Definitely nothing to brag about.
  • femme62209
    femme62209 Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    I drank a fifth of vodka last night, cheat day! I ate 2 bowls of ice cream, cheat day! And everyone is like "Yeah, that's awesome!" or "LOLZ".

^ I love this sort of behavior. Hooray for eating 5,000 calories today! :)
  • Brevans04
    Brevans04 Posts: 18
    Options
    I love the people that say "I dont cheat" okay.... youre telling me you stick to 1200-1500 calories everyday??? With maybe going to the gym once in a while and never crave Chic Fil A with Frys and a Shake?? Yea you're liars. I have a "cheat" day "free" day w/e you call it and I dont go over my calories needed to stay @ the same weight I currently am so I am not gaining anything but I am not following my diet plan either so its a cheat day on the plan. And if youre the type of person that feels guilty then dont do it but I look forward to Sundays because I can eat more and NOT GO TO THE GYM.. for you ladies who say "I just go work out and eat more" .. yea I already do that 4-5 times a week, with cardio and weights, but that I refuel during the week with healthy foods.Those of you that dont allow yourself the spurgle are just going to Yo-Yo like you normally do.
  • bcattoes
    bcattoes Posts: 17,299 Member
    Options
    So, those of you who embrace cheating, what other parts of your life to you have regular cheat days?? If it is good for your body, should be good everywhere else too right?

Did you read what I said about personal finance? Isn't any form of entertainment wasteful spending? Why would you do such a thing then?

If you have a budget and going to the movies is in it, then that is not cheating.

Several of you are using the term cheat to describe something you plan for, which is the opposite of what I am talking about.
    Aren't most acts of cheating intentional? Like you might plan to meet a lover at a hotel, or plan to count cards, or plan on bringing a cheat sheet into a test ...or plan on having a big easter dinner and some chocolate. I'd argue that the planning or intention is an essential part of cheating.

So, when a cheating spouse says "I didn't mean to do it Honey, it just happened" they aren't telling the truth?? Shocking.
  • ArroganceInStep
    ArroganceInStep Posts: 6,239 Member
    Options
    So, when a cheating spouse says "I didn't mean to do it Honey, it just happened" they aren't telling the truth?? Shocking.

I tripped and fell!!!
  • Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    i don't think this thread is nasty. its very informative. people may say some things you don't want to hear, but that doesn't make them nasty for it. a little disagreement never hurt anyone.

and there is a difference between having a pig out day and just eating normally and logging minor slip ups, if you can call them that. having a cheat day implies that you DO diet 6 days a week. that one day is different means that you DO have a routine, you DO try to stay within the lines of, and that you DO realize that what you are eating on day 7 is bad for you.

if that works for you, fine. im not knocking that. just admit what you are basically doing, instead of getting angry because someone is calling a duck a duck.
  • Cathyvil
    Cathyvil Posts: 230 Member
    Options
    Very well said. I did this yesterday and gained 4lbs... I felt bad before, during, and after my actions... Definitely nothing to brag about.

Unless you ate 14000 calories you did not gain 4 pounds. You're retaining water.
  • jpuderbaugh
    jpuderbaugh Posts: 318 Member
    Options
    if this guy (callmeBam) is anything like my brother, and a few other guys I know, he is sitting back, laughing at everyone calling him names and getting really mad at him. He is probably enjoying this debate a little too much, and possibly only posted this forum to start a debate (this place needs a "rolling your eyes" smiley face). I know a few guys who will do this on facebook (including my own brother sometimes). They just like to debate. I say, go be a politician or a lawyer and get paid to argue (I always told my dad that).

Except this isn't a debate...there's no intelligible debate and rebuttal. The folks that took the time to address his questions get ignored...which makes this a rant: a useless flamewar started by some measure of an outlandish original post and then followed by ridiculing posts that best suited his desire to fight. The one response he gave to someone answering his second question regarding what OTHER areas people cheat in, he mocks and judges the user based on his avatar. callmeBAM is too vocal to be a troll, but to argue loudly/publicly while ignoring the counterpoints and even the ACTUAL answers to his questions/quips he claims to seek is jerk-like. So he has something against cheat days and specifically the word "cheat." It'd be fine if he actually was interested in an answer but it's clear by his selective arguments he's lurking now at the flame war he's incited. What an accomplishment for the day. Call 'em what you will, cheat days are useful to just about everyone and utilized by almost all...if they are occasional, and the average works out to meet your goals there is no problem with them...this is merely an attack on those he feels are half-a$$ing it, even if the results prove otherwise. He's pulling morality cop here and isn't interested in any opinions but his own.

To me, this is a debate because he has responded to some people's posts. That to me is what a debate is, banter back and forth. Whether anybody has an intelligible rebuttal is besides the point (to me) because otherwise political debates would just be called political rants (I hate politics and politicians, so this is just my opinion).
  • poedunk65
    poedunk65 Posts: 1,336 Member
    Options
    lighten up dude................as long as you are losing wieght who cares what someone calls a day where you "fall off the wagon"!!, lol