The loss of a pet

Options
1235»

Replies

• misalillstead
    misalillstead Posts: 407 Member
    Options
    So sorry for your loss :( You are not nuts at all! Pets are family too, and its hard when they're gone.
    ::hugs::
  • Crystalclear22
    Options
    Very sorry to hear about your loss. This just happened to me 2 weeks ago. My dog was in and out of the vet for 2 weeks - nothing working - and finally an ultrasound found a rare cancer that was making her suffer pretty badly. I had to have her put down right there at the ER and was just devastated. I barely logged into MFP for a week and am just now getting back to it. All my exercise and good eating habits went out the window. In my case, I had lost my appetite completely (unheard of), i was just so upset. In a not so good way at all I did manage to maintain my weight loss progress - but in a very unhealthy way.

It's true - losing a pet really takes a toll on your general aura. For so long, you have this routine with your pet and then suddenly it's gone.. I have struggled the last 2 weeks because I walked my dog for 2-3 miles every night. On weekends we ran around in the park. It turned into part of my workout and it's hard to reach my exercise goals now because working out with my dog was what I enjoyed doing, and it was working quite well for me (and her!).

Just know that your dog was very lucky to have a person like you in his life. It's because of you that he was a well-balanced, good dog.

I will be getting a new puppy in May. Not to replace my Stella, but because I love dogs, have always had them around, and know I can give another pup just as good a life as Stella had. It's been lonely for me - and I'm starting to look forward to having a walking partner again and get myself back on track.

Again, very sorry to hear such sad news. I hope you can take comfort in the fact that you did what you could and he had a good doggy life. Then you can celebrate it, smile and look forward. :)
  • Bunnybeesweet
    Bunnybeesweet Posts: 165 Member
    Options
    My heart goes out to you. Losing a fur baby is devastating, and if anyone tells you you're nuts, THAT person is nuts. I'm no longer friends with someone because of this very issue. She was full of judgment and even had the nerve to tell me my "grief dragged on too long". I had so much trouble sleeping (even months later) that eventually I decided to train for a half' marathon, and i used that as a platform to raise money for an animal rights organization in my Goudie's honor. I raised over $3600! I still miss Goudie every day, but I am so grateful for the time we had. And you know what? I don't miss that "friend" who thought I was nuts.

May time and happy memories bring you comfort...
  • nikki_starr
    nikki_starr Posts: 21 Member
    Options
    On April 15th 2011, at 3:15 pm I found my baby boy (Boots Alexander)(cat) having sezures. He had them in my arms until 4:00 pm when he passed away. I had him for almost 16 years. He had heath problems but always pulled through. He was a fighter. It is going to be a year on the 15th, and what bothers me the most is that I buried him in my (ex)finance's backyard, and now I can't visit him. I love him so much and many ppl think I am crazy too, but you are not, they are our lives, our babies, our everything. I will pray for you. :brokenheart: :sad: :cry:
  • BlueJue2
    BlueJue2 Posts: 77
    Options
    Oh my gosh! When I put my dog of 13 years down, I cried for 3 straight days. You have your cry and your grieving, it is okay! So sorry for you, I know yiour pain!