How to survive on 40-50 dollars per month on food.

Options

Replies

• bbasinge
    bbasinge Posts: 7 Member
    Options
    I keep two big Ziploc bags in the freezer, 1 for leftover fruit (primarily berries) and 1 for leftover veggies (including all the peels and bits that get cut off). I buy produce when its on sale and if I can't use it before it goes bad then it goes into the appropriate freezer bag for later use.

I use the frozen fruit and berries to make smoothies, to make "sorbet" (blend with water and refreeze), or to add in to oatmeal or Greek yogurt. The leftover veggies usually go to make homemade vegetable stock in the slow cooker.
  • hbunting86
    hbunting86 Posts: 952 Member
    Options
    If you get cheap produce then I'd make that your mainstay - plenty of potatoes and veggies and you can knock up some tasty soups that will be filling and feed you for several meals.

In order to combat boredom I usually add different condiments when I reheat a batch (e.g. chilli, pepper, top with avocado etc).

Good on you for only spending that... NZ is so damn expensive!
  • DSCLBD
    DSCLBD Posts: 40
    Options
    I think it's all relative ... just I have noticed in Australia that the cost of living has blown out like anything! Rent is pretty high, health insurance runs around $320 a month for a family, petrol is $1.38-$1.54 per Lt (a gallon is 3.785 litres - so at cheapest we are paying $5.22 per gallon!).

It makes it hard to prioritise what to cut back on ... my goal this year is reduction :laugh: reducing my waistline and our expenses!
  • ErinBeth7
    ErinBeth7 Posts: 1,625 Member
    Options
    I wish I could do $50 a month. I am single and spend around $150/mo, not counting eating out.
  • cubsgirlinny
    cubsgirlinny Posts: 282 Member
    Options
  • Melroxsox
    Melroxsox Posts: 1,040 Member
    Options
    plant a garden!

^ THIS! perfect time to start one too! And if you're really frugal, you can learn to can some of that yummy produce to use during winter months:)
  • AbsoluteNG
    AbsoluteNG Posts: 1,079 Member
    Options
    I'm spending 150 a week. o.O
  • Klem4
    Klem4 Posts: 399 Member
    Options
    Wow! I'm amazed! Need to keep an eye on this thread for ideas too. I'm no help, we spend a lot on food.
  • Lane1012
    Lane1012 Posts: 211 Member
    Options
    in my area farmers market shopping for fruits and veggies seems a fair bit cheaper than the grocery store as well .. you might give that a look if there is something similar where you are.
  • FrenchMob
    FrenchMob Posts: 1,167 Member
    Options
    Wow, $50/mth??? It cost me $400/mth for my wife & I. But I do live in Canada were everything is 4x the price as the rest of the world.
    i.e. dozen eggs $3.00 ;(
  • californiansun
    californiansun Posts: 392 Member
    Options
    plant a garden!

^ THIS! perfect time to start one too! And if you're really frugal, you can learn to can some of that yummy produce to use during winter months:)

I know! I'm going to do it this weekend!! :)
  • jreed1920
    jreed1920 Posts: 123
    Options
    bulk Onions, lentils, potatoes. Get indian and french recipes (esp. indian for vegetarians!)--a lot of them are based on "poor" foods, like legumes and cheap cuts of meat. Make sure you have a good spice cabinet. Go to outlet groceries or bulk food sellers. If you can prove you lack of income don't be to proud to visit your local food bank, you can get some staples there.

Indian is a great idea. I could live for a long time on moong dal and paratha both of which are super cheap, quick, and easy to make. I love this site she has recipes and videos to show you how to cook the different items http://www.manjulaskitchen.com/2010/12/05/moong-dal-soup/
  • Thriceshy
    Thriceshy Posts: 707 Member
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.

Gosh, around here, Farmer's Markets are markedly more expensive than grocery stores. I wish they were cheaper here!
  • 707janette
    707janette Posts: 77 Member
    Options
    between going out to eat and buying food just for myself I spend aprox. $700. per month. I have been trying to not go out much but have not seen my food bill decrease b/c when I do go out I spend less than when I cook at home. I definately will be back to this thread to learn some new ways to save.
  • ruststar
    ruststar Posts: 489 Member
    Options
    The blog Poor Girl Eat Well has a lot of tips on how to eat well on very little: http://www.poorgirleatswell.com/
  • rmartin72
    rmartin72 Posts: 1,094 Member
    Options
    Bump Bump Bump I really needed to see this a lot, Thank you for sharing!!
  • klauria23
    klauria23 Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    bump Great ideas! Thank you.
  • Michelerainville
    Options
    To save money on fresh produce try going to a farmer's market! You can buy a TON of produce for super cheap.

THIS !
  • gastankerdriver
    Options
    A jar of peanut butter and a couple of loafs of whole wheat bread will go a long way for about $9.+
  • jforferris01
    jforferris01 Posts: 71 Member
    Options
    Okay well first stock up on stuff that goes on sale that doesnt go bad right away. Like egg beaters and breeze almond milk. Cut coupons and only buy the healthy things you have coupons for when there on sale. Go to cheaper markets to get stuff like dollar stores and stuff. I got some really good frozen spinach from the dollar store and it is microwavable and you can eat it right out of the bag so you dont even need a to clean a plate. Then if you like yogurt buy all the yogurt you can when it is on sale and look for the later dates as they will last longer, as long as you dont open them. Same thing with bread. I love fiberone bread but it is always alot of money and when it goes on sale it is 2/for $5.00 usually so I try to save my coupons for that purchase and see if anyone else has the coupon there not using so I can buy 2 breads with 2.00 off so it only ends up costing me 3.00 for 2 loaves and then I freeze them and take out what i want when I want it. U have to think like that. Where I leave there is cheaper markets like Aidis, Walmart, PriceRight and Dollar Tree so on my free time I walk around them and do inventory on what is cheap and how much more cheaper it is. I also get my fruits and vegs from farmers markets all around as it is cheaper and better quality then the markets. Good luck. And if you have left overs try to use them up by cooking them before they go bad and just reheat them or add them to whatever you are eating at the time.