What's your idea on overweight runners?

Options

Replies

• jentarver
    jentarver Posts: 192
    Options
    Definitely stop worrying hun. I run all the time, (now down to 191) I love running. Absolutely love it! If it is something you love why worry what others think? Their opinions really don't matter, but what does matter is making yourself Happy and Healthy!!.
    GET IT GIRL!!!
  • TBHunter
    TBHunter Posts: 28
    Options
    When I see someone over weight running I think "Good for them! Getting healthy is the best thing they can do for themselves!"

I am a runner that is overweight. This winter I have done all my running at the gym, -15C+ and running is not fun so I made the point to run at the gym. One day on my run, about 4km in, the person on the treadmill beside me says "um shouldn't you be like done now? Your fat and have been running long and faster then me!". I was mad! Yes I am over weight, but I am I with in my limits and know my body. I told her "Just because I am over weight does not mean I can't do something and do it well. And dear maybe I have something medical wrong with me that is making me this way." Needless to say she shut up. I saw her last week on one of my outside runs, she was struggling up a hill...I slowed down and waited for her....she said she was sorry for judging me and asked if she could run with me. Made me feel pretty good :)
  • aallison85
    aallison85 Posts: 97 Member
    Options
    I think you are a rock star and I very much admire runners of all shapes and sizes! Like many folks on here, I want to encourage everyone that I see working out, especially folks that are struggling with more weight. It takes a lot of courage to get out there and deal with the worries about what other folks might be thinking.

So again, you are a ROCKSTAR and keep up the awesome work!
  • Athena413
    Athena413 Posts: 1,709 Member
    Options
    I was almost 300# when I started running...or attempting to run...and I still weigh around 220...so I say more power to 'em! err...us! :drinker:

But honestly, maybe it's the community I'm from, I've never encountered a single runner that scoffed at me for running. I had one random jack-*kitten* on the street make fun of me one time, but never another runner. They've all been very supportive and cheer me on across the finish line as if I were first place. And anyone that DOES make fun of you isn't worth your time. Keep up the good work!
  • tnrunningnurse
    tnrunningnurse Posts: 549 Member
    Options
    I am a runner and I admire anyone that runs. I compete in local races and I love nothing more than to encourage fellow runners, whether fit or not so fit. If you every run a 5k you will find that for the most part the running community is very supportive no matter your speed or your size. I say If you want to be a runner....then be a runner. :):)
  • beckyinma
    beckyinma Posts: 1,433 Member
    Options
    It might not be pretty, and I'm still in that category, but at least you aren't sitting on your butt eating chips. :)
  • najla56
    najla56 Posts: 195 Member
    Options
    I go green with jealousy, seeing heavier people running while i pant/drag my *kitten* on the road.
  • directorj
    directorj Posts: 537 Member
    Options
    Back when I was 230lbs, I did feel "weird" running. People would pass me up like I was walking. Guess what. 45lbs later, only a small amount of people pass me up on runs. (not much people run)

You have to remember that, the skinnier,fit person was not born that way. Who knows where they came from.
  • knk1553
    knk1553 Posts: 438 Member
    Options
    I would think "wow, look at her, she's running better than me and doing what she can to better herself" I hate people who judge people who are overweight or whatever for working out, I usually just say everyone has to start somewhere and they have the confidence and motivation to get out there and start doing what it takes to better themselves.

That and I would be really jealous, Im trying to get back into running and I'm pretty sure I look like I'm going to keel over and die at any moment when I run. So I say ignore everyone else and do what you love, its all about bettering yourself and in the end you can laugh in everyones faces and say I did it despite your crazy stares and judgement!
  • EJWoolcock
    Options
    I see someone running - I think good on ya! I admire anyone who gets off their butt and does the right thing. I am the slowest runner out there I reckon, and when I run I've had both negative and positive things yelled at me from passing cars. Negative people can bugger off as far as I'm concerned. I know people half my size who couldn't run anywhere near as far or as long as I can!

Besides, you never know, you might just inspire someone else to give it a go!

Keep it up!
  • mandamama
    mandamama Posts: 250
    Options
    I have never encountered a scowl or stare, and if I did I would likely flip them off HAHA Usually I get look like .. wow! good job! when people even bother to look. I try to stay focused, music up loud trying to control my breathing, I honestly get tunnel vision most times LOL
  • Raynn1
    Raynn1 Posts: 1,164 Member
    Options
    I was 247 pounds when I began the C25K program in January.
    I am running my first 5k race this weekend:)

When I began I had a few moments where I was wondering what people in their cars were thinking as the drove past, or people I would run across on my route, but after a few days, I realized I dont care what others think. Ill probably never see them again..

I love it:)
  • LizKurz
    LizKurz Posts: 340 Member
    Options
    Well, I'm 190 lbs. I run. I even run 5ks. I haven't tried to go farther than that, because of my knees, but I was a runner before I packed on the baby weight, and it's a darn good calorie scorcher.

You wanna run? Dooooooo eeeeeet. :)

Worried about you knees? You shouldn't be. People don't run with their knees, or well, they shouldn't. Make sure you do squats and lunges, which I HATE but do anyway in the confines of my own home. If your legs are strong enough, your knees won't matter. Also, wearing braces on them, the stretchy kind can help too.
  • KelliH729
    KelliH729 Posts: 208 Member
    Options
    Hi Ive been obese my whole life but I always had a thing for running my fav runner is Flo Jo. Every since I joined this site Ive gained back my love for running even though I'm 268lbs I can ya know...run with a good pace. Well...my pace but I'm still learning and training. When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?

If I saw someone overweight running I would honestly think to myself, "How awesome! That person is on the road to becoming healthier and changing their lives". I would not think something mean at all. There will always be the jerks out there but do not let them get you down!
  • Kimberleycommonname
    Kimberleycommonname Posts: 52 Member
    Options
    It took me a while to realise but I never, ever judge someone out running. No matter what size or age, I always think "**** they're awesome, I really need to get out for a run too". Or lately whenever I see a runner I'm like "there's my competition for the Christchurch marathon (even though I'm only doing a 10k).
    It's the same at the gym too. No one is looking at you as much as you think they are.
  • vegamy
    vegamy Posts: 204 Member
    Options
    When I run by thinner or "fit" people I tend to get stares or scoffs like "What this fat b**** think she's doing?" type of look. I just want to know if you see an obese beginner runner what do you think?

I think, "This person is awesome for getting out there and running!". I was over 200 lbs when I started running and I sure felt self conscious. But, I did it anyway and tried not to think about other people - running is for ME. You'll always lap people that are sitting on the couch! Just do it, no worries! Good for you for getting out there!
  • grizzlymaze
    grizzlymaze Posts: 185 Member
    Options
    Running is awesome. It doesn't matter what your size is, you can do it. Besides, ITS FREE. I was 240 at the beginning of this year and am now about 220, all because of running. Do I hurt, sometimes yes. But on the days that I don't, I feel great. I try to improve my time every time I go out, and that's why I hurt. I push myself hard. My advise is just to take it slow and than gradually get faster. Dont go fast right away, listen to your body. Dont care about what others think. The truth is, they are probably just couch potatos that are jealous. You can do this!
  • Emilia6909
    Emilia6909 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    When I'm out running and I see an obese person running, I congratulate them by saying... "good going". I love running too but I've never analysed the looks I got. I just got my head down and focussed on myself.
    I think we're so hard on ourselves and assume other runners think of us what we think of ourselves!

Don't be distracted by what you "think" other runners may or may not think. You're making a vast improvement to your own health and soon, you'll be right in front of them at a marathon!

Well done! I salute you in true RUNNER style! :flowerforyou:
  • Hoonooria
    Hoonooria Posts: 28 Member
    Options
    I think that everyone who wants to become healthier is great. don't listen to people.. I like lyrics that I heard in some song: "people throw rocks at things that shine" or something like that.. it's true.
  • meerkat70
    meerkat70 Posts: 4,616 Member
    Options
    I'm a fat runner. When I see other fat runners, I think 'more power to you, mate'.
    I know how much effort goes into building distance, speed, carrying a heavier body. And I also know how much pleasure there is in it.

I get a lot of 'encouraging' comments when I'm out. Only one mean one. Part of me wishes people wouldn't comment at all, that I could just be invisible. But I've learned to accept them with good grace. I do like it when people ask how far I've gone, or how long I've been out (usually because I've seen them twice while out). I like being able to say 'oh, just six miles' and have them go 'wow', knowing full well that this fat chick can run further than the vast majority of the population can manage.

I love being a fat runner. But I guess I'll love it even more when I'm a slim runner.