Eating terribly one day...fast the next?

Options
I'm curious as to what people do to compensate for a terrible eating day. Do you fast 1-2 days following? Do you over-exercise the day after? Do you cut your calories in half? Does this fast work? (do the pounds drop, do the pounds maintain, etc)

Do you start fresh and just make believe the binge never occured? If so, do you find that you have a weight gain?

Replies

• iLikepistachios
    Options
    I personally do some extra exercise and continue my regular eating habits. (:
  • Mizzou91
    Mizzou91 Posts: 249
    Options
    Burn a little extra if you must, but the best strategy is just to forgive yourself and move on (as long as it doesn't happen THAT often). Fasting is a terrible idea. Your body needs fuel.
  • BaconMD
    BaconMD Posts: 1,165 Member
    Options
    Put it behind you and move on. It's not going to be the end of you.
  • Acg67
    Acg67 Posts: 12,142 Member
    Options
    Fresh start, 1 day will not derail your entire diet. Just get back on track and be relatively consistent.
  • Sidesteal
    Sidesteal Posts: 5,510 Member
    Options
    I'm curious as to what people do to compensate for a terrible eating day. Do you fast 1-2 days following? Do you over-exercise the day after? Do you cut your calories in half? Does this fast work? (do the pounds drop, do the pounds maintain, etc)

Do you start fresh and just make believe the binge never occured? If so, do you find that you have a weight gain?

I'm going to offer you pure opinion on this one.

I think it's mentally unhealthy to compensate by trying to correct a poor eating day. I believe the best method is to just resume your current plan.
  • sk2775
    sk2775 Posts: 703 Member
    Options
    Same as above...start fresh the next day and you get to do it all over again.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    I just continue on as usual, most of the time. Yesterday I went beyond the binge, so today I am going to be pretty far under since I burned a lot of calories working out. I figure it will balance out for the week. I always look at things in terms of the whole week and not just one day to the next. For this past week, I was 2200 over my weekly net goal! But even still, I should still be okay because it means there are still 1300 calories remaining of my 3500 calorie goal deficit. Does that make sense?

Basically, what I'm saying is don't stress over it! Just get back on track.
  • jaymek92
    jaymek92 Posts: 309 Member
    Options
    i carry on with my normal eating and exercise habits. i also plan two cheat meals into my week, so i know when i'm going to be over and i don't worry about it.
    i've been losing around a pound a week for the past month and a half, so it's working for me.
  • Teapotdomescam
    Options
    I used to just not eat anything at all for practically the entire day, but it doesn't take a genius to realize that isn't going to solve the problem! if anything it'll just make you hungrier and then you risk compensating for everything later on anyway. Usually, if I am feeling guilty about a bad eating day I work out more, or take longer walks
  • shovav91
    shovav91 Posts: 2,335 Member
    Options

I'm going to offer you pure opinion on this one.

I think it's mentally unhealthy to compensate by trying to correct a poor eating day. I believe the best method is to just resume your current plan.

I agree completely. Trying to compensate by fasting is very much an eating disorder mentality. Trust me, it's unhealthy and won't do you any good. Don't dwell; get back on track the next day but don't overcompensate and don't punish yourself!
  • Shelby814
    Shelby814 Posts: 273 Member
    Options
    Ditto. Totally agree with what the others have already said. Tomorrow's a new day. :)
  • Pebble321
    Pebble321 Posts: 6,554 Member
    Options
    I just go on with normal eating the next day, though I won't make an effort to eat all my calories, if I have a bit of an extra deficit that is OK.

For me, it has been important to develop good eating habits - learning what is a healthy amount to eat - not too little, not too much. But I also accept that life doesn't offer exactly the same opportunities or challenges everyday and somedays I will eat more and some days less. And that's OK, the key is to make sure that there are more days when I eat a healthy amount of good food. One bad day is not going to ruin everything. I know that some weeks I will lose, some weeks I'll gain, some I'll stay the same. But, the overall trend has been downwards, so I'm happy with that.

Also, starving one day to punish myself for overeating the day before seems like a VERY bad idea to me.
  • cakeums
    cakeums Posts: 231 Member
    Options
    Oh, and I'm not saying that I would normally just burn a ton of calories and not eat back at all...but I'm still not all that hungry after how much I ate yesterday, so I figure being under my net for today isn't the end of the world.
  • sweetteacher123
    Options
    Fasting is horrible for your body. It puts it into starvation mode, slowing your metabolism, and then makes you so incredibly hungry that you will overeat to feed your hunger. Do not fast! If you feel you must do an extra workout, okay, but just get back on your healthy routine.
  • Masterdo
    Masterdo Posts: 331 Member
    Options
    You don't gain weight overnight anymore than you lose it overnight. Log that day of excess, keep going the next day.
  • hesn92
    hesn92 Posts: 5,967 Member
    Options
    I don't do anything. Just start fresh the next day.
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    I *try* to return to normal the following day.

I do tend to struggle with that... I want to go a little overboard. Sometimes I do. But within a few days I'm back to normal.

I ate plenty for Easter, and today I weight 1.8 pounds more. I'm sure that by Wednesday, though, I will be pretty much back to normal. Also, the occasional binge sometimes is enough to trigger more loss over the next week or two - I'm finding that strategically having a "crazy day" leads to more consistent weight loss for me.

I wouldn't worry about it too much - just try to be as good as you can for a few days and you'll probably be back to normal in no time!
  • supermom2002
    supermom2002 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    i say listen to the people with the muscles. or at least look at them. i am.

but start fresh the next day. eat balanced meals and don't starve yourself. you just set up the brain to binge later.
  • siobhano_
    siobhano_ Posts: 101
    Options
    If I know I'm going to be having a unhealthy day foodwise, I try and net about 200-300 under for the days leading up to it, and then on the day, do as much exercise as possible. This Easter Sunday, I burnt 900 calories hiking before I even touched chocolate, and then I was able to eat 750 calories of chocolate later on, with only my macros being bad, not my calories.

But on days where I screw up a little, the next day I limit carbs and stick to fresh fruit and vegetables as much as possible and drink a lot of water. There's no use fasting, just respect your body a bit extra the next day, move on, and remember how good that food tasted :P
  • polo571
    polo571 Posts: 708 Member
    Options
    I like to make sure to hit the water heavy. I like to do Hiit training on the treadmill and burn off the gooe.