Aldi grocery store - favorite foods!

Options

Replies

• laneybird
    laneybird Posts: 532 Member
    Options
    LOVE Aldi!! I like pretty much everything that has been listed. I like their turkey bacon and the 100 fudge pops when TOM forces me to have some chocolate ;)
  • minimesoon
    Options
    I am in the UK, and also shop at Aldi.
    Never had anything not good from there.. on the contrary!
    I use the barcode scanner on my phone to add items to my food log and often Aldi's products come up as another more expensive supermarket.
    I also once found courgettes with "Waitrose organic"-stickers in Aldi. (Waitrose is a high-end supermarket here in the UK)
    So I suspect many products are the same in the end.. And therefore; why pay more?

Fave products?:
    I buy chicken breasts and tuna steaks and fry a few at the time. I then take these to work as lunch with a salad or oven-baked egg-white omelet.
    Much cheaper and much healthier that I could buy at/around work -and I know exactly how many cals I eat.
    I love the Cooked and Peeled King Prawns -104 cals for the whole pack! Brilliant!
    The small tins of tuna (E.g. "lemon and black pepper") are also great.
    The rye-bread are also very good and filling.
    Aldi here in the UK now also have Free-range whole chickens -These are delicious and again much cheaper than elsewhere -Albeit of course more expensive than non-free-range.
    I feel that this makes me able to afford buying free-range.

...oh.. and my guilty pleasure are their "rice-youghurt/desserts" (a la Muller Rice).. but calorie count quite high :(
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    I love that you can buy 10# of potatoes for $3, sometimes they have them on sale for $1.50. I prefer Aldi's over most stores anymore. Oh and their Fit and Active ice cream sammiches..............YUUUUUUUUMMMMMMMMMMMM

yea, the orange cream frozen bars are SOOO good, as well as the frozen fruit bars.. so much better than WW stuff! I can't believe they charge so much for theirs!!
  • nakmom
    nakmom Posts: 6 Member
    Options
    I love shopping at Aldi and do the majority of my shopping there. My prices are a little higher than OP's but still a lot cheaper than other grocery stores (for example eggs are 88 cents a dozen and baby spinach is $1.69). The produce at my store isn't subpar at all and you can't beat the price.

It's rare that I find something we don't like but If you do, you can take it back and get your money back, plus a replacement for free. I tried a certain variety of lunchmeat that we didn't like so they gave me my money back and let me get another variety.

I also love that it's small and I can get in, get what I need and get out in about 15 minutes or so.
  • BarbWhite09
    BarbWhite09 Posts: 1,128 Member
    Options
    I LOVE ALDI!
  • swisspea
    swisspea Posts: 327 Member
    Options
    Wow! Aldi is in the states? It's pretty big here in Switzerland, but it's better over the border in Germany. I love their laugenbrot (baked pretzels) and their light Mohrenkopf (no idea what they would be in English, kinda like a marshmallow cookie, but better) they are only 49 calories each and are amazing. Also, if they have Nimm2 candies, get the all natural fruit lolipops that are 39 calories each! And yes, I love the light Soy milk! SOOO GOOD!
  • Silver_Star
    Silver_Star Posts: 1,351 Member
    Options
    i LOVE Aldi's!!

i get the 69c eggs
    fiber bars
    ground turkey
    cucumbers
    carrots
    celery
    green peppers
    frozen tilapia or salmon
    condensed soup
    i like the Fit and Active products
    Milk
    baking ingredients

i just love their prices!
  • kerriBB37
    Options
    Wow! Aldi is in the states? It's pretty big here in Switzerland, but it's better over the border in Germany. I love their laugenbrot (baked pretzels) and their light Mohrenkopf (no idea what they would be in English, kinda like a marshmallow cookie, but better) they are only 49 calories each and are amazing. Also, if they have Nimm2 candies, get the all natural fruit lolipops that are 39 calories each! And yes, I love the light Soy milk! SOOO GOOD!

I saw those baked pretzels! I will get them next time!
    I lived in Germany about 12 years ago.. I wish I would have known about Aldi's . . LOL
  • MrsLVF
    MrsLVF Posts: 787 Member
    Options
    Fresh, frozen &/or canned fruits & veggies all way cheaper than any where else.

Their chocolate is melt in your mouth delicious. mmmmm
  • kerriBB37
    Options
    One thing I do is make a "mug cake" with their double chocolate cake mix..

2T of cake mix
    1T of water
    heat in a mug in the microwave for 1 minute..
    I top with berriers and some fit & active cool whip!! YUMMMY
  • laj3918
    laj3918 Posts: 28
    Options
    I'm excited to hear all of these positive responses to foods I've yet to try. I'm in FL and do the Publix BOGO religiously, then walmart for staples and Aldi primarily for dairy and snacks (kids and hubs love the gummies and chips *wink* )

I'm not one to waste $$ so I haven't branched out to their other items because I don't want to buy something that won't get eaten... but NOW I WILL! Thank you...
  • bcw660816
    bcw660816 Posts: 326 Member
    Options
    I haven't shopped at Aldi's much, but bought some of the steamable bags of broccoli florets a month or so ago for $1.09 each. I LOVE these - eat the whole bag for 100 calories. This weekend I bought several packs of zucchini which was wonderful. I bought a box of Pizzelle cookies to try. Couldn't believe it said a serving was 6 cookies for 140 calories. These are GREAT! They taste like waffle cones, and 3 of them satisfy me easily. I also like the Kirkwood chicken breast strips to use on salads - the seasoned ones are my favorite.

As for the quality of fruits and veggies - they look the same, if not better, than the local grocery store and Wal-Mart. The assortment isn't as large, but you can't beat the prices.
  • kerriBB37
    Options
    I'm excited to hear all of these positive responses to foods I've yet to try. I'm in FL and do the Publix BOGO religiously, then walmart for staples and Aldi primarily for dairy and snacks (kids and hubs love the gummies and chips *wink* )

I'm not one to waste $$ so I haven't branched out to their other items because I don't want to buy something that won't get eaten... but NOW I WILL! Thank you...

I really wish there was a Publix up here in Michigan.. I love shopping there when I'm down in FL!! lucky duck.
    Their subs are sooo good! (not healthy though, haha)
  • Josie_lifting_cats
    Josie_lifting_cats Posts: 949 Member
    Options
    We get their stuffed pasta shells and pasta a lot for low calorie dinners. LOVE it. Their turkey sticks, some of the fit and active snacks, and lots of fit and active broth. Their chicken breasts are cheap, too. And we buy ketchup from there by the case.

I'm very passionate about Aldi. I go there about twice a month despite it being about 50 miles away. (In all fairness, it's only about 20 miles from my office, though, so I'm practically halfway there!)
  • Aesto
    Aesto Posts: 29 Member
    Options
    I go all the time. I love it. Get their frozen chicken breasts and tenderloins. You don't even need a knife to eat them...sooooooo amazing! I also love their low calories cheeses.
  • misscristie
    misscristie Posts: 643 Member
    Options
    Aldi's have been popping up all over DFW and they just opened one by my house. May have to give it a try!
  • amber961
    amber961 Posts: 3 Member
    Options
    Aldi is awesome! We had one open here about a year ago and we have been very satisfied. Their produce cannot be beat and their milk is about $1 cheaper per gallon than other stores. Their frozen fruits and veggies are amazing-2 lbs of frozen asparagus for $1.50! They also have household goods and special buys, and if you are patient, you can get quite a deal. Earlier this year they had enamel coated cast iron pots and pans (like le creuset) and i was able to snag a 9x13 casserole for $5.
  • MomMel65
    MomMel65 Posts: 47 Member
    Options
    Their frozen whole green beans are incredible!! Nice and skinny, tender beans - very close to "garden fresh." Also, my hubby has to have chocolate chip cookies at least once a week, and nothing pre-bought either! Aldi's semi-sweet chocolate chips are SO MUCH BETTER than Nestle. It's like they have a stronger chocolate liquer or something... calorie content is the same, so I'll never use Nestle anymore!

Every time I go I try to pick out something new and try it. I've had an Aldi in town ever since I can remember, and I always drove past it. This past year I decided to check it out - sure am glad I did!! Now I just wish that I'd REMEMBER to bring my grocery bags all the time - LOL!!
  • iloveflipflops1
    iloveflipflops1 Posts: 16 Member
    Options
    The corn on the cob at Aldi is the BEST!!!! Even in March/April!! I actually crave it!! Try it!!
  • kerriBB37
    Options
    Their frozen whole green beans are incredible!! Nice and skinny, tender beans - very close to "garden fresh." Also, my hubby has to have chocolate chip cookies at least once a week, and nothing pre-bought either! Aldi's semi-sweet chocolate chips are SO MUCH BETTER than Nestle. It's like they have a stronger chocolate liquer or something... calorie content is the same, so I'll never use Nestle anymore!

Every time I go I try to pick out something new and try it. I've had an Aldi in town ever since I can remember, and I always drove past it. This past year I decided to check it out - sure am glad I did!! Now I just wish that I'd REMEMBER to bring my grocery bags all the time - LOL!!

I know, I usually forget my bags and try to juggle all the things I buy in my arms as I walk out to the car! LOL