Anyone Here Mentally Ill?

Options
Axels91
Axels91 Posts: 213
I have bipolar disorder. or manic depression as they say it old school. it makes getting healthy a bit more difficult, because when Im depressed i never want to eat or exercise, and mood stabilizers can cause weight gain. During depressed episodes I feel like life is **** and not worth fixing, so I let myself slide=smoking, drinking and smoking again haha

I just wanted to know if anyone here is battling mental illness while trying to get fit and healthy? Does it pose a challenge to you?

Replies

• ConcordPhil
    ConcordPhil Posts: 118 Member
    Options
    I have bouts with depression... very minor compared to what I've seen in some people. I try to go to the gym every morning... the daily exercise seems to help. The other thing I do is I love to go hiking. Even if it's just a walk in the woods, it really seems to get me out of myself for a little while. And the fresh air doesn't hurt.

I think it's really great that you brought this up too. I think if people talked about it more, there would be less of a stigma associated with it. And getting something out in the open is probably the first step in making it better.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    I don't.
  • spade117
    spade117 Posts: 2,466 Member
    Options
    Me either.
  • PapaverSomniferum
    PapaverSomniferum Posts: 2,677 Member
    Options
    I have Body Dysmorphic Disorder
  • UponThisRock
    UponThisRock Posts: 4,522 Member
    Options
    Me either.

I was thinking of a funny reply, no way to top this.
  • jplord
    jplord Posts: 510 Member
    Options
    Bipolar (Type 2). Welbutrin and Lithium. 7 years of trying to manage the symptoms.

Trouble is some of the symptoms are positive. Hypomania can get you in trouble, but you don't want to extinguish it. THat same manic energy is what gives you effervescence, creativity, wit, the ability to connect random and disparate things into coherent ideas. This is not a cold, and I won't be cured. But the negative symptoms can be managed, never eliminated. MFP member bipolaroutloud is a particularly elloquent blogger who writes for us.
  • EmCarroll1990
    EmCarroll1990 Posts: 2,849 Member
    Options

This.
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options
    Me either.

tumblr_lgbj6dMOzl1qf8yek.gif
  • odusgolp
    odusgolp Posts: 10,477 Member
    Options
    Search the groups. Many of my friends suffer from mental illness to varying degrees, and I'm sure you can find a board for more input. Good luck!
  • SimplyShanRunning
    SimplyShanRunning Posts: 885 Member
    Options

but this for real.....and Im also bulimic
  • Axels91
    Options
    I have bouts with depression... very minor compared to what I've seen in some people. I try to go to the gym every morning... the daily exercise seems to help. The other thing I do is I love to go hiking. Even if it's just a walk in the woods, it really seems to get me out of myself for a little while. And the fresh air doesn't hurt.

I think it's really great that you brought this up too. I think if people talked about it more, there would be less of a stigma associated with it. And getting something out in the open is probably the first step in making it better.
    i agree, and its very relevant here because we are all trying to make lifestyle choices for better health overall, not just bodily health but mental health. for me, eating certain foods can exacerbate a mood swing that takes me completely off course from my fitness schedule.
  • MrEmoticon
    MrEmoticon Posts: 275 Member
    Options
    Me either.

WZgAG.gif
  • Axels91
    Options
    Bipolar (Type 2). Welbutrin and Lithium. 7 years of trying to manage the symptoms.

Trouble is some of the symptoms are positive. Hypomania can get you in trouble, but you don't want to extinguish it. THat same manic energy is what gives you effervescence, creativity, wit, the ability to connect random and disparate things into coherent ideas. This is not a cold, and I won't be cured. But the negative symptoms can be managed, never eliminated. MFP member bipolaroutloud is a particularly elloquent blogger who writes for us.
    yes, mania for me starts off euphoric and pleasant, then turns to hallucinations and delusions, (once i was seeing cockroaches in my bed, and demons in my shower curtain) and then it turns into full blown rage. at those times i need to be sedated or it will get bad for anyone around me.

the creativity is amazing in hypomania, but full blown mania for me, has only been briefly pleasant before becoming out of control. i am also unmedicated, so must be VERY careful with my diet and exercise schedule and stay consistent.
  • kayleesays
    kayleesays Posts: 564 Member
    Options
    Generalized anxiety disorder, it eats my life, woooo
  • Chelle_Davis
    Options
    I have Bi-Polar Disorder and GAD. :)

So far it hasn't presented a problem, but I've had to change the times I take my meds so I can be sure and take it with food.
  • CoryIda
    CoryIda Posts: 7,887 Member
    Options
    I am bipolar and have struggled with severe depression since I was probably 10.

I have to say that getting myself healthy mentally has been much harder than getting healthy physically, but it can be done. I have a long way to go still, but considering that I was in a mental hospital this time 7 1/2 years ago, I am proof that you can make progress if you really work at it.

Good luck getting the support you need.
  • rchambers2072
    rchambers2072 Posts: 227 Member
    Options
    I have bipolar disorder. My 14 yr old son also has it. And my 13 yr old daughter has dissociative identity disorder (new term for multiple personalities) I am a stress eater also, and my life is nothing but stress!! A good group would be awesome!
  • nnapieralski
    nnapieralski Posts: 132 Member
    Options
    Oooh, oooh....me!! =)

I was diagnosed with Bi-Polar disorder and anxiety issues 13 years ago. Some days are harder than others, but over the years I've learned what medicines work the best, how to stop thinking negative thoughts, how to eat right (yes, it makes a difference), and how to relax. It's a constant struggle and can be very hard at times, but I am happy........something I thought was impossible 14 years ago.
  • UpEarly
    UpEarly Posts: 2,555 Member
    Options
    Generalized anxiety disorder, it eats my life, woooo

Me too. My anxiety is often all-consuming. People tend to think I'm 'just a worrier' or tell me to 'think positive!'. I wish it was that simple and easy.
  • BeautyFromPain
    BeautyFromPain Posts: 4,952 Member
    Options
    Hey, I used to have really bad depression and anxiety, which the depression has been made completely better by exercise and helps the anixety a bit but I still get way too stressed out and anxiety attacks waaay too often.