Aldi grocery store - favorite foods!

Options

Replies

• mem1086
    mem1086 Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Huge Fan! I think any of their produce is cheaper than the grocery store. I have had the hams there and they are better tasting than the grocery store too. I like their dried fruit. The wheat bread is great too, very fresh and stays fresh for quite a while. Haven't checked out their frozen foods, but only a matter of time. The canned foods also seem to be decently priced.

I love grocery shopping, so this store is great! Also, check around your area for discount grocery outlets - they are AWESOME!!
  • awidener86
    awidener86 Posts: 260 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi stores.. I used to do pretty much all of my shopping there before I moved back in with my parents. I've heard a lot of people say their meat sucked but I have never had a problem with it. The only problem I ever have is forgetting my bags
  • sistersam
    sistersam Posts: 4 Member
    Options
    I love the Aldi store and go there often. The Fit and Slender dressing is great! I tried the Light Ranch. The chicken breasts, pork chops, and most of the produce is good and more affordable than most stores. I also buy the canned green beans, tomatoes, and corn there and have been more than satisfied with the quality.
  • jamie31
    jamie31 Posts: 568 Member
    Options
    I have never been to Aldi's. Alot of ppl have said that their produce and meat is the low end. Have you guys bought any of that stuff there? whats good and what should i stay away from?

I have bought their raw chicken breasts and though they are a little bit smaller than my other 'big' grocery store, they still worked well for a few crockpot recipes that I've made! I've also bought their canned chicken to make dips and stuff-it's great! I bought some Jennie O lean ground turkey there ($1 cheaper) and so you can't go wrong with that named brand item..
    I haven't bought any fish or lunchmeat yet BUT the lunchmeat looked totally fine.

as far as fruit and veggies, I buy their bananas a couple times a week as well as green grapes and avocados.. I have once bought a cucumber and green pepper. Totally fine!
    sweet good to hear. May have to make a trip to sandusky this week and check it out
  • jessica091303
    jessica091303 Posts: 33 Member
    Options
    Thanks for the post! We have a new one by us that I have been afraid to try...now I can't wait to go!
  • brenteesha
    Options
    Kerr, for the longest time I didn't know about it either! Oddly enough, I found out while I was going to EMU. A girl I knew that was from Ann Arbor said she loved coming to the Dearborn area, because she could go to the one at Telegraph and Van Born. She raved about their prices as well. There's another on Eureka in Southgate, and another in Lincoln Park near Fort and Southfield. The newest one is in Wyandotte at Fort and Oak. With several locations around our old stomping grounds, I'm surprised we never heard of it!

Anyhow, since moving back to the area I've shopped there sporadically. I went there last week actually, to get items for a pot luck dish because I was low on cash. It reminded me that I should start shopping there more often because of the awesome prices! You've never heard of most of the brands they sell, but the quality is definitely on point. I was telling my mom that I would rather by Aldi no brand stuff over WalMart no brand stuff, because it's more consistent from Aldi.

All the prices are lower than other places, but some are lower than others. I bought a box of granola bars (100 cal, not 90) and they were like $2.29 or $2.49, which is what I pay at any other store... but you get 10 instead of 8. Milk was like $2.49 I think, which is pretty standard... but other stuff I bought like canned things and tortilla chips were definitely on the cheap. I got my can of diced fire roasted tomatoes on sale/clearance for only 59 cents!

As far as produce, everything looked ok to me -- the only fresh thing I bought was green onion and they were just fine. I checked out the bell peppers and they looked pretty good too, but I didn't get any because I didn't really need them. The only downside to buying produce there is that you can't buy individual items like you can at Meijer. I usually buy one white onion and one red onion when I shop at Meijer... if I wanted either kind of onions at Aldi, I would have had to buy an entire bag. That sucks when cooking for one, because I won't use that much before it goes bad. This is a great place for frozen stuff though... if you want to buy a frozen pizza, frozen dinner or Taquitos or something, they're all significantly cheaper than other stores and the taste is great!

Overall, Aldi is pretty friggin awesome. Food is really good, prices are even better and it's nice to be able to shop without spending 3 hours wandering around the expansiveness of Meijer. (;
  • scorpiomfs
    scorpiomfs Posts: 167 Member
    Options
    i just discovered fit and active sharp chedder cheese by the slice.. awesomely good.
  • CALake
    CALake Posts: 269 Member
    Options
    I'm a recent convert! Until recently I always turned up my nose at Aldi because I knew it had a reputation for being so cheap. Plus we have Wegmans in this area and there's nothing that can beat Weggies!

I love their boxed items- pancake mix, cake mix, brownie mix (all the junk food!) and we've had good luck with the frozen seafood too. I'm not impressed by the produce though. In our store you actually have to pick through the stuff that is rotting on the shelves to find good produce, and even then it doesn't last more than a few days.

Eggs, milk and cheeses are all excellent too!
  • brenteesha
    Options
    I'm a recent convert! Until recently I always turned up my nose at Aldi because I knew it had a reputation for being so cheap. Plus we have Wegmans in this area and there's nothing that can beat Weggies!

I love their boxed items- pancake mix, cake mix, brownie mix (all the junk food!) and we've had good luck with the frozen seafood too. I'm not impressed by the produce though. In our store you actually have to pick through the stuff that is rotting on the shelves to find good produce, and even then it doesn't last more than a few days.

Eggs, milk and cheeses are all excellent too!
    Wow, none of the stores in my area are like that, and I've been to at least 3! I'm surprised it's so bad considering how great it is here. Maybe you should complain to corporate? Maybe it's just bad management at that store...
  • entropy83
    entropy83 Posts: 172 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi! Soymilk, almond milk, turkey bacon, fiber bars, and wine are my favorite things about Aldi's!
  • happymiche
    happymiche Posts: 164 Member
    Options
    I love my Aldi store...ours has excellent produce, but I have heard some don't. I don't buy a lot of their meat, other than the frozen chicken breast tenderloins, which we love, especially for slow cooker recipes. I love their Fit and Active cheeses and they have Greek yogurt now, which is about 35 cents cheaper than Chobani (they even have pineapple!)
  • PreacherRam
    Options
    I love the 90 calories chewy peanut butter chocolate chip granola bars. They are delicious.
  • marx4
    marx4 Posts: 236 Member
    Options
    I love Aldi's, just there yesterday. There fruit flavored water for 24---zero calorie bottles is $4.99, pineapple was 1.29. You can get their generic version of laughing cow super cheap. I love a bargain!!
  • AllisonMart
    AllisonMart Posts: 156 Member
    Options
    Love Aldi's! I buy everything I can there, probably 80% of the groceries. Sounds like some cities might have some products we don't have available. I love that they always have reasonable priced frozen shrimp and seafood. Living in Kansas seafood is pretty hard to get, and most stores have only a small selection and it's very expensive. Since this is cheaper I can try lots of new things!
  • kiran2459
    Options
    We have been shopping at Aldi since the early 80's...it has always been a great store but has improved so much over the years...We buy almost everything there...and have always been satisfied...and it is much more reasonable than the other stores...
  • mamashatzie
    mamashatzie Posts: 238 Member
    Options
    I do 99% of our shopping at Aldi. I could rave about them all day :) I do have a couple complaints though:

1- some of their fresh produce (avocados, garlic, most of the veggies, grapes, etc) is really good. The strawberries are hit or miss. The summer fruits such as nectarines, peaches, etc are kind of sketchy. Even if they're not technically bad they don't usually taste that great. Also, one time I was rummaging around in the nectarines bin and there was one that was completely rotten on one side. Gross.

2- not everything is available all the time. They have tubs of Fage greek yogurt for $3.49 ($6-7 at the regular grocery store) but they don't have it every week. Same with almond milk and some of the more specialty type stuff. The staples--canned fruits/veg/meat, pasta and sauces, fit n active stuff--are pretty constant though.

I've had really good luck with their fresh meats, too. I only buy it if it has a 50% off sticker on it, so I get it ridiculously cheap ($1.00-1.50 per pound) and I just make sure to use or freeze it right away. I don't catch it on markdown very often, maybe once every month or two, but I buy as much as I can when I do!

I buy as much as I can at Aldi and go to the regular store for things they don't have or don't look that great. Also, their $2.99 wine is pretty darn good for cooking.
  • Resalyn
    Resalyn Posts: 528 Member
    Options
    Their frozen whole green beans are incredible!! Nice and skinny, tender beans - very close to "garden fresh." Also, my hubby has to have chocolate chip cookies at least once a week, and nothing pre-bought either! Aldi's semi-sweet chocolate chips are SO MUCH BETTER than Nestle. It's like they have a stronger chocolate liquer or something... calorie content is the same, so I'll never use Nestle anymore!

Every time I go I try to pick out something new and try it. I've had an Aldi in town ever since I can remember, and I always drove past it. This past year I decided to check it out - sure am glad I did!! Now I just wish that I'd REMEMBER to bring my grocery bags all the time - LOL!!

Here's what I do - take a plastic baby wipes container - the one that has the circular lid that opens up - stuff it with plastic grocery bags from other stores - and keep that in your car, in the trunk, or whatever. Then you always have bags for those trips to Aldi's or a garbage bag whenever you need one for whatever....

I love Aldi's - love their Mama Cozzi Mushroom spaghetti sauce, love the rising crust pizzas baked on our pizza stone, cheap bread, cheap condiments, cheap everything!

The key with Aldi, at least in our area, is to know what days the produce trucks come - ask the people working there, they usually come on a schedule - and go to the store that afternoon or the next morning for the best produce! My sis-in-law works at an Aldi, and she's been a mine of information, LOL.

I also love checking out their "special purchase" stuff - you know what I mean - usually near the produce, special purchases like tools, or lawn chairs, or exercise equipment..... That stuff gets marked down quite a bit when the supply gets low... We bought a propane patio heater that originally sold for like $150 - we got it for less than $40 cuz it was the last one (display model.) Total score!!!!
  • cbh142
    cbh142 Posts: 270 Member
    Options
    I went to aldis today. I got their brand of the laughing cow cheese, greek yogurts, zuchinni, gum, lemons.

Their bananas are always funky lookin' though.
  • siddlesmom
    Options
    My new favorite place to shop!!! We got a new one recently...it's bright & clean & just busy enough to keep the stock rotating! Love the bread/buns, produce (artisan lettuce is TDF in salad..$ .99-1.49!) yogurt, eggs, milk, salad dressing & frozen foods are all wonderful at ours!

I used to be a real grocery snob too!
  • kerriBB37
    kerriBB37 Posts: 967 Member
    Options
    Kerr, for the longest time I didn't know about it either! Oddly enough, I found out while I was going to EMU. A girl I knew that was from Ann Arbor said she loved coming to the Dearborn area, because she could go to the one at Telegraph and Van Born. She raved about their prices as well. There's another on Eureka in Southgate, and another in Lincoln Park near Fort and Southfield. The newest one is in Wyandotte at Fort and Oak. With several locations around our old stomping grounds, I'm surprised we never heard of it!

Anyhow, since moving back to the area I've shopped there sporadically. I went there last week actually, to get items for a pot luck dish because I was low on cash. It reminded me that I should start shopping there more often because of the awesome prices! You've never heard of most of the brands they sell, but the quality is definitely on point. I was telling my mom that I would rather by Aldi no brand stuff over WalMart no brand stuff, because it's more consistent from Aldi.

All the prices are lower than other places, but some are lower than others. I bought a box of granola bars (100 cal, not 90) and they were like $2.29 or $2.49, which is what I pay at any other store... but you get 10 instead of 8. Milk was like $2.49 I think, which is pretty standard... but other stuff I bought like canned things and tortilla chips were definitely on the cheap. I got my can of diced fire roasted tomatoes on sale/clearance for only 59 cents!

As far as produce, everything looked ok to me -- the only fresh thing I bought was green onion and they were just fine. I checked out the bell peppers and they looked pretty good too, but I didn't get any because I didn't really need them. The only downside to buying produce there is that you can't buy individual items like you can at Meijer. I usually buy one white onion and one red onion when I shop at Meijer... if I wanted either kind of onions at Aldi, I would have had to buy an entire bag. That sucks when cooking for one, because I won't use that much before it goes bad. This is a great place for frozen stuff though... if you want to buy a frozen pizza, frozen dinner or Taquitos or something, they're all significantly cheaper than other stores and the taste is great!

Overall, Aldi is pretty friggin awesome. Food is really good, prices are even better and it's nice to be able to shop without spending 3 hours wandering around the expansiveness of Meijer. (;

I know my mom said that there was one by my grandma's in Wyandotte but I had no clue! I always get them confused with Save A lot but now I know the difference! The Pontiac one that I go to sells individual produce (like onions and stuff I think) instead of bags. I LOVE the taquito's I forgot to mention that in my orig post. I brought a few boxes to a family function as my appetizer and everyone loved them!! I bought chips and freshs salsa too. all for under $20!