Anyone Here Mentally Ill?

Options

Replies

• Axels91
    Axels91 Posts: 213
    Options
    disease: a disordered or incorrectly functioning organ, part, structure, or system of the body resulting from the effect of genetic or developmental errors, infection, poisons, nutritional deficiency or imbalance, toxicity, or unfavorable environmental factors; illness; sickness; ailment.

causes and symptoms can vary.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

Breast cancer is a tumor, mental illness not

If you want to believe that your problems are too complicated and "special" to have any humanly imaginable solution, that is completely up to you. For the millions of patients that are benefiting from medication on a daily basis, I will apologize on your behalf for insulting their attempts to better their lives.

:flowerforyou:

Yes, sure, now the condescending tone. I surely felt so special when I had the arm open, trying to put an end to that :smile:
  • SamanthaTheSpartan
    Options
    I have PTSD. Anyone else struggling with it, feel free to message me or add me :)
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options

I'm just saying I totally disagree on putting on the same level breast cancer and mental illness...

And I'm just saying that you haven't presenting any compelling evidence or arguments to give weight to your "opinion"

Certainly, I won't see an oncologist to treat my depression...but I never said they were the same. I only said that the brain is an organ like any other, and it can become diseased. Many diseases of the brain respond to medication. It is, as I've stated, possible to suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety with no physiological cause. If that is the case, medication will probably not be helpful for you.
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    I have borderline, manic depression, generalized anxiety disorder and bulemia. It's awful and a contributing factor to my weight gain for sure. There are days when I dont want to move and I would rather binge and purge then go to the gym or eat healthy. :( I need friends to help on the weight loss journey and its hard to find them.
  • HardcorePork
    HardcorePork Posts: 109 Member
    Options
    I have borderline, manic depression, generalized anxiety disorder and bulemia. It's awful and a contributing factor to my weight gain for sure. There are days when I dont want to move and I would rather binge and purge then go to the gym or eat healthy. :( I need friends to help on the weight loss journey and its hard to find them.

When I was at my worst, I let my symptoms drive people away. Now I try to remind myself that I have to be brave and put good energy out there to get good energy back. That's especially hard when you're struggling with psychiatric issues, but it really makes a HUGE difference. Kudos to you for reaching out!
  • Axels91
    Options
    what is borderline disorder? i see that alot here too, anyone want to share?
  • Bikini_Bound150
    Bikini_Bound150 Posts: 461 Member
    Options
    I have depression. It makes diet very, very difficult. I feel you.
  • Sunny_Sunflower
    Sunny_Sunflower Posts: 136 Member
    Options
    Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is an emotional disorder that causes emotional instability, leading to stress and other problems.

With borderline personality disorder your image of yourself is distorted, making you feel worthless and fundamentally flawed. Your anger, impulsivity and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though you desire loving relationships.
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options

Breast cancer is a tumor, mental illness not

If you want to believe that your problems are too complicated and "special" to have any humanly imaginable solution, that is completely up to you. For the millions of patients that are benefiting from medication on a daily basis, I will apologize on your behalf for insulting their attempts to better their lives.

:flowerforyou:

Yes, sure, now the condescending tone. I surely felt so special when I had the arm open, trying to put an end to that :smile:

I believe people are getting defensive and "condescending" because of your belittling attitude towards those with differing viewpoints.
  • A_New_Horizon
    A_New_Horizon Posts: 1,555 Member
    Options
    I have depression. I have only recently be diagnosed after a suicidal attempt back in Nov. I was very against anti-depressants until this happened, but my life has been hell the past 2 yrs. I am currently going through a divorce with an ex who was abusive, cheated, and is incarcerated for a sex crime (long crime). It is a known fact that traumatic events in your life can throw off your brain chemistry having people do things they normally wouldn't (like me becoming suicidal knowing I have 2 babies to support). I will say my diet/exercise helps my mood big time, but I also need professional help. There is nothing wrong with asking for help, period!!!

You are absolutely right. Your body is very adaptive and can upregulate and down regulate the expression of different genes based on all kinds of stimuli, particularly stress. That can certainly affect your brain chemistry or pretty much anything else going on in your body. It's kind of amazing to think about, but also frustrating to deal with.

I can't imagine all that you've been through. Congrats on struggling through it all. I know several people here are happy to have you around!

Thanks for your kind words - I hope my story can help people down the road.
  • Roadie2000
    Roadie2000 Posts: 1,801 Member
    Options
    I'm pretty sure I'm depressed. I mean I've never been diagnosed with it, but I generally feel pretty unhappy with my life in general. I can generally put on a happy face and go out life but when anything bad happens it consumes me and makes it difficult to sleep, work, or enjoy anything.
  • 0EmmeNicole0
    0EmmeNicole0 Posts: 180 Member
    Options
    I have been diagnosed with generalized anxiety disorder and depression. I can usually keep my moods stable, but i tend to get freaked out and overwhelmed. I don't have bipolar disorder but i definitely can be very "high" for a few weeks and then next thing I know I'm super depressed. So i understand what its like to go through those cycles. I definitely believe that it makes weight loss difficult, but I try not to use it as an excuse. It's crazy cause I'll feel super motivated about my weight loss, but too depressed to get up and do anything. Damn inner conflict.
  • PercivalHackworth
    PercivalHackworth Posts: 1,437 Member
    Options

I'm just saying I totally disagree on putting on the same level breast cancer and mental illness...

And I'm just saying that you haven't presenting any compelling evidence or arguments to give weight to your "opinion"

Certainly, I won't see an oncologist to treat my depression...but I never said they were the same. I only said that the brain is an organ like any other, and it can become diseased. Many diseases of the brain respond to medication. It is, as I've stated, possible to suffer from bouts of depression and anxiety with no physiological cause. If that is the case, medication will probably not be helpful for you.

I used to see it as a disease in fact. The only materials that came out that were only self-reducing and self-destructing ones. The first thing you hold (as far as I remember, my mental *illness* started when I was 3 years old) is guiltiness, rage and self-hatress. As years go, the only viable solution you see for yourself is suicide. Medication stabilize the mood, that last as a transporter for the way you see yourself and consider Life. It took me 23 years to cease to look for any manifesto being able to kil me... in fact, living in the denial, or looking for self-annihilation. I now see it as some kind of *energy* - which needs to be channeled one way or another, that's it
  • Kenzietea2
    Kenzietea2 Posts: 1,132 Member
    Options
    I'm pregnant, therefore yes.

I have had issues with severe depression, but right now my issues seem to be in check. I haven't really been depressed for the passed year but I do know what it is like to be there, so feel free to add me if you need some encouragement or support. You can do this!
  • alabughosh
    alabughosh Posts: 132 Member
    Options

I guess what he (and I) have a problem accepting, is the idea that mental illness is something that cannot be cured. But I think cancer is an excellent analogy. They haven't given up finding a cure for cancer...I think there is a cure for mental illness. I consider myself to be in "remission" from mental illness. The possibility of it flaring up again is still there, but I don't have a need for medicine. And my life is extremely balanced (if that's not an oxymoron :ohwell: ).
  • LilRedPitViper
    Options
    Borderline personality disorder (BPD) is an emotional disorder that causes emotional instability, leading to stress and other problems.

With borderline personality disorder your image of yourself is distorted, making you feel worthless and fundamentally flawed. Your anger, impulsivity and frequent mood swings may push others away, even though you desire loving relationships.

Fantastic answer! I'd like to add that it's very similar to and therefore very often confused with Bipolar. However, they can occur simultaneously (I'm proof!) Medications for Bipolar rarely help the symptoms of Borderline. BPD is more successfully treated with intensive talk-therapy in most cases.
  • Pifflesmom
    Pifflesmom Posts: 134 Member
    Options
    I too suffer from depression, anxiety and chronic insomnia, which exacerbates everything. I have good days and bad days, but when I can't sleep for long periods of time, things start to fall apart and I slip back into bad habits. I started doing that a couple of weeks ago - drinking too much again, eating whatever I wanted and generally not caring...which makes me feel better at the time, but it's a vicious circle...however, I KNOW that when I'm eating healthy and exercising - while I still won't get proper sleep, I do feel better.

In my mind, the whole 'getting healthy' thing is 50% physical and 50% mental - because for me, the two go hand in hand and when one thing starts to suffer, the other thing goes along with it.
  • MaraDiaz
    MaraDiaz Posts: 4,604 Member
    Options
    How do I put this in a way that won't get me modded? Hm...

Don't many religions teach that we are worthless and fundamentally flawed? Should a pill be used to treat social conditioning?
  • Axels91
    Options

Fantastic answer! I'd like to add that it's very similar to and therefore very often confused with Bipolar. However, they can occur simultaneously (I'm proof!) Medications for Bipolar rarely help the symptoms of Borderline. BPD is more successfully treated with intensive talk-therapy in most cases.

it almost sounds like rapid cycling bp combined with poor coping skills?